Identifing a motherboard for replacement

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Identifing a motherboard for replacement

Postby Modify_inc » Sat May 08, 2010 10:52 am

Hey I have a computer that was giving to me, she gave up on it. It's a Compaq SR1350NX. I've tested it with everything a know, which I'm sure is limiting compared to some around here. Anyway I have pretty much sumed it up to be either the CPU or the motherboard. CPUs rarely go bad so I want to repalce the motherboard first since they are more prong to short and otherthings. I want to make sure I get a motherboard that is compatible with this Intel 519J CPU 3.06ghz/1M/533 /04A.

There has top be a easier way to find this info from the computer itself. I don't see anything listed on this motherboard that really identifies it. I wouldn't even know it was a socket 775 if I hadn't read it on the internet.

Anyway I don't want to pay a whole lot for a motherboard. Only looking for something similar. I'm pretty sure any new motherboard will be optimized for the newer processors which I don't need.

Can anyone assist me with this?

Thanks
Modify_inc
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mr T » Sat May 08, 2010 11:03 am

You'd be looking at something like this as your setup is the old DDR400... It probably would be better budgeting for a new system as getting a LGA775 board with DDR400 support aint easy, it probably is a microATX board too, so an ATX board won't fit in the case.... Plus the PSU may not be strong enough to run the new board (but that is 'may not')...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat May 08, 2010 1:08 pm

That's if it's not a proprietary PSU in the first place.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Modify_inc » Sat May 08, 2010 2:00 pm

Is there not anymore motherboards for sale that support DDR only? Everytime I think I find something to buy, it's DDR 2 or DDR 3. Newegg even has it to search by, DDR only, and it finds DDR 2 motherboards. I love Newegg but this is getting crazy.
Modify_inc
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat May 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Should be a label either on the back or bottom of the case, with a model number and 'service' number. But a quick search for the SR1350NX turned up several links.. including this one. Overall not a bad design, but as with all those "baby" PC designs there are compromises.. especially with free space inside, and some components that are specific to the design.
If that system had been serviced before, there may be replacement parts. And they would have a small tag with the "Compaq Replacement" number.
Did not find any identical motherboards on eBay, but lots of offers for PC3200 memory.. and more than 2,000 offers for Compaq motherboards. Take the heatsink off the CPU, and note what is on the heat spreader, under the silicone paste. There also should be some gold-colored print along the edge of the CPU die. That would tell you what the CPU model is. But from the brief specs on that model, it has an Intel Pentium 4 @3.2 GHz with an L2 cache of 1 meg, which points to it being a Prescott model. Should still perform well.
But a simple test on the ATX power plug with a multimeter to see if there is +5 volts on the violet lead at the back of the plug would show the PSU is active. But there is a tiny hurdle most mobo models have to "jump" before they start.. the real-time clock must be working. If it is not, then there may be no signs of life. There is a battery on the mobo about the size of a quarter. That is the BIOS battery, a CR3020 model typically, that keeps the clock active when no power gets into the PSU. That may be the cause of 'no life'. Cheap fix, if that is the culprit!
But look over the capacitors that are large.. if the tops are domed or bulging, they are bad.. and that may mean a new mobo. What to look for is detailed at www.badcaps.net/ . The case may well take another Compaq mobo of similar design, easily. But look for budget offers.. not worth putting a lot of time and money into it.
Last edited by Karlsweldt on Sat May 08, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat May 08, 2010 2:42 pm

DDR is already beyond sell-by date, even DDR2 boards are harder to find already. If you find a DDR board chances are you will pay the same for that board as for a DDR2/LGA775 board including 2GB of DDR2 memory.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... =c00300057
Karl: badcaps.net has a seperate kit for this specific PTGD1-LA board
http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=21
I don't think the CMOS battery is the problem here :(
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum