Gateway lx6810-01 mobo ID

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Gateway lx6810-01 mobo ID

Postby FireGirl » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:02 pm

Hello! I made the mistake of buying a Gateway without realizing they have become almost proprietary. I bought it without an installed OS and I can't install my own due to the locked bios.

These are the #s from the mobo labels (two separate):

u00p091201617 PC mcp7am01g1-1.0-8eksh

m/b mbg640900691200efbek00 (the ef "b" is probably a "b" but maybe an "8")

The bios id string doesn't Id THE MOBO so far as I can tell. It is:

64-0100-000001-00101111-071709-mcp7a

I DESPERATELY want to unlock this board and I will HAPPILY replace it if possible.

Luv ya, FireGirl
FireGirl
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:49 pm

No way to "unlock" the board, no BIOS for stock retail boards will work. A reference BIOS can sometimes work on certain chipsets, but there's way too great a risk bricking the board by trying.

Gateway has always been proprietary, except for one particular series of machines around 2001/2002. :wink: Tehnically, what you have now is a rebranded Acer.

You should have no trouble buying a new copy of Windows, or using Ubuntu as your OS, just do a complete partition erase to get rid of the recovery partition, make a new partiton that spans the entire hard disk, and format for your new OS.

What model Gateway is it? I'll have an easier time with this if I have a model number for the whole machine to work off.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Gateway lx6810-01 mobo ID

Postby FireGirl » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:18 pm

firegirl wrote:Hello! I made the mistake of buying a Gateway without realizing they have become almost proprietary. I bought it without an installed OS and I can't install my own due to the locked bios.

These are the #s from the mobo labels (two separate):

u00p091201617 PC mcp7am01g1-1.0-8eksh

m/b mbg640900691200efbek00 (the ef "b" is probably a "b" but maybe an "8")

The bios id string doesn't Id THE MOBO so far as I can tell. It is:

64-0100-000001-00101111-071709-mcp7a

I DESPERATELY want to unlock this board and I will HAPPILY replace it if possible.

Luv ya, FireGirl

THANX fussnfeathers!

I started by flashing the bios with an Acer version which did not allow me to disable RAID which is what I needed to do.

I then flashed it with ANOTHER Acer bios and I KILLED IT! The chip seems to be an 8-pin PDIP which could be reprogrammed or replaced (from Europe- I'm in New York). But RAID would still be enabled and I have only ONE SATA drive, no IDE. I'm trying to install XP.

I'm happy I killed it. I bought my first Gateway probably 20 years ago when they were designed to be user serviceable. Mostly I somehow kept my components running over the years - self-built, I guess.

Model is: LX6810-01
Serial #s are: 91402496727
and
ptg590x001914061872700

Otherwise, it seemed like a nice machine! :)

FireGirl
FireGirl
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:46 pm

8eksh looks more like something from winfast/foxconn than Acer to me. Sorry, I have to sleep now and then, else I could have stopped you in your tracks from flashing it...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby FireGirl » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:27 pm

I was meticulous in this project. It was NOT EASY killing this board. I even edited the Gateway bios and flashed it but it wasn't enough to enable the SATA/Raid mode. The recovery key would have been useful to know.

Are you in the Netherlands? (off topic) My name is Corrie van Tol and I may be shipping you my pdip chip! :lol:

I don't see this as a loss - the ACER bios worked, anyway. I just didn't know what these OEM's were doing. RAID mode could not be disabled in the Gateway lx6810-01 and there is ONE SATA hdd and it isn't (wasn't) recognized.

Also, I cross-referenced every mobo manufacterer I could find with my board. BIOS sign on said manufactured exclusively for Gateway by Acer. What a clue! Acer now owns Gateway but Acer still may not have manufactured it from what I can find. Gateway's support docs are N/A for this, too.

A $20 pdip isn't bad and maybe I can then use recovery mode. But, I did want to find a compatible BIOS so RAID can be disabled for the one HDD. Or, replace it with a compatible mobo but that's alot of work.

I also have a second Sata HDD sitting here but I was too mad at Gateway to install it (if even that would have worked). I wanted it my way not theirs.

Still thinking this thru...THANX!

FireGirl
FireGirl
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Misprint in Specs?

Postby FireGirl » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:04 pm

firegirl wrote:I was meticulous in this project. It was NOT EASY killing this board. I even edited the Gateway bios and flashed it but it wasn't enough to enable the SATA/Raid mode. The recovery key would have been useful to know.

Are you in the Netherlands? (off topic) My name is Corrie van Tol and I may be shipping you my pdip chip! :lol:

I don't see this as a loss - the ACER bios worked, anyway. I just didn't know what these OEM's were doing. RAID mode could not be disabled in the Gateway lx6810-01 and there is ONE SATA hdd and it isn't (wasn't) recognized.

Also, I cross-referenced every mobo manufacterer I could find with my board. BIOS sign on said manufactured exclusively for Gateway by Acer. What a clue! Acer now owns Gateway but Acer still may not have manufactured it from what I can find. Gateway's support docs are N/A for this, too.

A $20 pdip isn't bad and maybe I can then use recovery mode. But, I did want to find a compatible BIOS so RAID can be disabled for the one HDD. Or, replace it with a compatible mobo but that's alot of work.

I also have a second Sata HDD sitting here but I was too mad at Gateway to install it (if even that would have worked). I wanted it my way not theirs.

Still thinking this thru...THANX!

FireGirl

This may account for some of my problems:

CPU-Z Validator also reports LX6810-01 mobo as FMCP7AM NB : NVIDIA nForce 730i rev B1; SB : NVIDIA nForce 730i rev B2, not 720i...also listed as incorrect on Gateway site (Systemboard with NVIDIA® nForce® 720i Chipset (MCP7A-D)).

-from Woot Board

It was hard to find 720i anywhere causing me to think this was not only proprietary, but TOP-SECRET!

FireGirl
FireGirl
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:28 am

Yes I am in the Netherlands.

Hmmm I can see why you're not wanting the latest bios for this thing:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261 ... ssues-help

Anyway, that 8pin-DIP should have a part number, send an email or something so we can verify it is indeed an 8mbit flashable chip before sending anything etc.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby FireGirl » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:24 am

evasive wrote:Yes I am in the Netherlands.

Hmmm I can see why you're not wanting the latest bios for this thing:

Anyway, that 8pin-DIP should have a part number, send an email or something so we can verify it is indeed an 8mbit flashable chip before sending anything etc.

Thanks for the link. I had not been able to find the earlier BIOS version. I'll have to read it and try to see if the SATA options are different.

My father was born in Holland and came to the US after WW2. There is a strong identification with Dutch people in my family here. Some are bulb exporters still (flower bulbs).

Anyway, I'm also trying to get the specs on the pdip. It's impossible to read except for "MX". Macronics, I think..aren't many of these around yet.
The ONLY place I found is this which is in the Netherlands:

CAN'T POST A LINK
bios service center

I can order a chip that should be able to run the board, but it won't solve the RAID problem.

Thanks again...this challenge has been enjoyable AND informative. Time for me to sleep for a while.

FireGirl
FireGirl
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:10 am

You can post a link now. Ya got five posts.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:31 pm

Should be an option in the BIOS pages to change the RAID function to "JBOD" or "auto".
All too many instances of a BIOS written for an OEM (other equipment manufacturer) by a parent company is not the same.. either lacking some features, or has specific features to the OEM design. Even some physical features of identical parent mobo designs are different. Dell, Gateway and HP (incl. Compaq) designs are somewhat proprietary, and may work with the original BIOS program.. but may not.
The only positive ID of a mobo is the BIOS string found in the lower left corner of the first video screen.
If you cannot get that info, then a diagnostics program such as Everest Ultimate from www.lavalys.com/ is able to display all the features of a mobo.. and provide Web links to BIOS, updates et. al. Not expensive to own, and there is a trial version available.. with some features locked out.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum