Trying to replace a motherbord

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Trying to replace a motherbord

Postby mom2bmw2 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:22 am

We have several Pc's with a AOpen s661FXm-US SiS 661FX Micro ATX Intel Motherboard, and AOpen has stopped making the same motherboard. I know the Micro ATX form factor is important but how do I know for sure I am getting the correct one when I need to order. I did some research and all I could find out that is in fact discontinued and this MSI 661FM3-V, Can someone advise???? :D :oops:
mom2bmw2
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:44 am

Are these motherboards all bad? Are the components like RAM, video card, and the like in still good working order? Which processor do you have in these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813138169

The closest match I can find is going to be that, or something based off the 945 chipset. You'll need to buy new RAM, it takes DDR2 instead of DDR, about $25 for a gig of DDR2 533......it does have onboard video, not great stuff, but workable for a general purpose machine that's not going to see heavy graphics usage. If you already have video cards, those will be AGP, you'll need new PCIe 16x cards if you want to stay with discreet graphics instead of onboard......you'll need 24 pin power supplies.....um. Your particular board is going to be nearly impossible to replace with a new one, without replacing everything else as well.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby mom2bmw2 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:54 am

He bought a new video card, hard drive, new ram and a new CPU..
He (my father) has these is a few Kiosk's and we have change every single components out added fans the works.. It will work fine for a day or two and then it will go down and they will need to be re-ghosted.. I thought it might be the CMOS Battery but we just don't know :D
mom2bmw2
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:37 pm

When using computers in those mall Kiosks, the power supply can be "dirty" with surges and stray signals. Best to use a good-quality surge suppressor/filter with them. A UPS would be better still. Then too, ventilation is critical to electronics goods. When the critical temperature limit is reached, it may be fatal. Many of those POS (point of sale) computers are naturally vented, no fans.. for silence. But they often get tucked onto shelves, with other goods piled atop them!
A lot of electronic equipment has had a plague of 'bad capacitors' from an industry snafu.. or espionage. A bad formula was used on many types, which caused early and serious failures. The tops of the larger capacitors should be perfectly flat or concave, never domed. Or leaning, or show signs of leakage. More info at www.badcaps.net/ .
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:20 pm

I'd agree there. Sounds more like an overheating issue, but what bothers me is the HDD needing a restore. How old, and what brand, model and capacity are these? Both Seagate and Hitachi had runs of bad drives (hence the Hitachi "Deathstar" nickname), you may be suffering from a run of those that lasted longer than usual.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby mom2bmw2 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:21 pm

this is what the aopen has

P/N 91.8EM10.S6D

Specification
Model s661FXm-US
CPU: Socket 478
Support Intel Pentium 4 CPU
FSB 800MHz
Chipset: SiS 661FX
SIS 964
Main Memory : DDR400 [PC3200]
DDR DIMM
128/256/512MB & 1GB
Max Memory : 2GB
Super I/O: ITE
Clock Gen.: ICS
Graphics: 8X AGP slot
Integrated VGA Engine in chipset
IDE: Integrated ATA133 and Serial ATA Controller
LAN: Integrated SIS 10/100Mbps LAN Controller
Integrated Realtek PHY
Audio: Realtek AC'97 CODEC on-board
5.1 Channel
USB: Integrated in chipset
USB 2.0 Port x 1
Slot: AGP
PCI
Storage & Back Panel I/O: Serial ATA Channel : Serial ATA Channel x 1
IDE Channel : ATA133
Floppy Drive Connector : Floppy Drive Connector x 1
PS/2 Keyboard : x 1
PS/2 Mouse : x 1
VGA Port : x 1
Printer Port : Printer Port x 1
COM Port : COM Port x 1
USB Port : USB Port x 1
LAN Port : LAN Port x 1
Line_In : x 1
Speaker_Out : x 1
MIC_In : x 1
On Board Connector: CPU FAN
Chassis FAN
System FAN
Front Audio
Front Panel Connector : Front Panel
S/PDIF Connector : S/PDIF
CD_IN Connector : CD_IN
IrDA Connector : IrDA
AUX_IN Connector : AUX_IN
USB Port
BIOS: Award PnP 4Mb Flash ROM BIOS
Form Factor: Micro ATX
Board Size: 244 mm x 220 mm
Software & Utility: EzInstall utility
Accessory: Serial ATA cable
80-wire ATA133 cable
Floppy Disk cable
CPU Retention Module x 1
Back Panel I/O Shield x 1
Bonus Pack CD disc
Easy Installation Guide x 1
mom2bmw2
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:46 pm

That's gonna be hard, if it does turn out to be a bad board. Old, old standards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... 7&name=478

There's two I can find in a hurry, but there's not much out there to support socket 478 processors anymore. In either case, you're going to have to buy new RAM, your current DDR won't fit, and a new video card, if you can't (or don't want to) use the onboard graphics.

I'm still betting more on either failing hard drives, or overheating. If they're all doing the same thing, and happen to be the same cabinets, that's the most likely possibility. You said he added fans, but just drilling a big hole in the casing and screwing a fan to it isn't the best way to solve a problem. Fans in the wrong place can make overheating worse, instead of better.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:48 pm

Depending on if the case is standard mini-ATX type with removable I/O port plate, then almost any model of mobo could be used. But finding one that supports your present CPU, memory and other features may be hard to find. eBay may have something in its Computers and Networking sector. If you are lucky, you may find an identical mobo model. But watch for the small print about warranties.
It may be best to consider a total rebuild of the system, using a different mobo model that supports newer processor types.. the Socket 775 type, or newer. But they use a different type of memory, and the PSU may not be up to the task. The mid-tower type build would be a good reward, but it needs ventilation.. more so than those compact models. It should be placed so that the PSU exhaust blows into an open space, or through a screened port in a cabinet. Alas, most computers exhaust against a wall less than 6" away, and suck the warm air back inside!
With those systems in use as POS devices, they are designed to save power.. by shutting the hard drive down after a short time. This can lead to a short use life. Best to keep the drive running at all times. Less stress from starting and stopping, which causes the greatest disk wear.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum