Tough Before.. Tough Again

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby markirob1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:34 pm

hello fussy. No.... i only have the 1 stick in there.. there was 2 sticks..... thats 2 sticks of matching 512mb, 533 samsung but even that was showing 896mb in windows xp home, under computer properties.those 2 sticks of 512 samsung are out ...just the new 1gb that is not seen as 1 gb just same old 896mb. It seems although it works ...im posting with it right now. like i said sandra recognises it as 800mhz bus and so does cpuid... but i still have the empty wrapper ....... 1gb 533 pc 4200 (ddr2)
markirob1
Initiate
Initiate

Postby markirob1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:45 pm

Now i have the manual, maybe i can work a miracle with this... maybe a bios update out there that might support a better cpu,... or some better functionality... Grrr.. why wont that mem register its true self.? :-|
markirob1
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Toby B. » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:47 pm

Its very possible this is a limitation setup by HP... Its an OEM board, theres no retail equivalent. Thus you would have to hack the BIOS to fix this issue
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:56 pm

That might explain the erroneous reading of the RAM as 800 instead of 533, I've seen that happen before on OEM boards, but I don't think it's possible to cut the RAM limit back by one chip on a stick.

The board does have onboard video, though, which pulls the assigned amount of RAM for itself (probably set to 128mb in the BIOS) which would explain the memory shortage reading. Windows simply won't see that 128mb since it's being taken from the system before Windows even loads. Check the main page of the BIOS to see what the RAM registers as, and if its correct, check the video memory size setting, and maybe knock it down a setting if it allows you to. THEN check Windows and see what it says.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:01 am

"Video graphics

* Integrated
* Supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards
"

From the HP specification page. That is the onboard video taking 128MB of the total. Don't know if you can adjust or disable that amount when using a seperate video card.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby markirob1 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:15 pm

Evasive.. Fussy.. Your both right. that pci express card is the way forward. I halved the shared memory under bios and hey..... was 128 now 64 and guess what. Windows is reporting 960mb ram not 896. As for that memory bus issue. Well it looks like i got 800 mem for the price of 533 because your right..... when i mixed the ram with the older stuff i got the blue screen memory dumping in windows. So it seems they need to be matched with this board.. Does that sound right?...... Anyway i dont win either way coz i have 3 sticks of ram totalling 2 gig but can never have more than 1 gig installed. :o
markirob1
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:42 pm

Well 2G at 533 should be an option IF that 1GB stick can be used at 533, you'd think it can because the wrapper says so. If the memory slots are number use the 533 in slots #1 and #2 the 800 in slot #3, that way you have the best chance the machine clocks all at a stable 533.

Let us know how you go...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby markirob1 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:15 pm

evasive wrote:Well 2G at 533 should be an option IF that 1GB stick can be used at 533, you'd think it can because the wrapper says so. If the memory slots are number use the 533 in slots #1 and #2 the 800 in slot #3, that way you have the best chance the machine clocks all at a stable 533.

Let us know how you go...

Just the 2 slots:

but wots bakin my noodle now is?... can i get another 1 gig stick from wer the other came from.. maybe that will give me 2 matched..!...? i sense a bit of pot luck. :roll:
markirob1
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:40 pm

you can always send the the info from Sandra about your current 1GB stick and see if they can come with a matching one.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby markirob1 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:15 pm

Thanks edwin. i might just do that, although i know where it came from so i may contact them first. anyways i'm not a gamer but gonna post under reccomendations for a nice express card that wont touch my physically installed mem. :wink:
markirob1
Initiate
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum