Dell XPS Laptop

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Dell XPS Laptop

Postby AmberLeaf » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:30 am

Hi guys, I hope you can help.

I'm about to buy a replacement MB for a Dell XPS m1330 laptop. (With the dodgy nVidia gfx chip). I know the part number is (was) pu073.

What I need to find out is how to determine the revision numbers, or to determine the most recent versions of the same part.

Can anyone give me a link to a Dell supply catalog or something like that, so I can see if there are newer revisions of the board.

Thanks so much.
AmberLeaf
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:41 am

The only people who will have a catalog like that are......well........Dell. Service manuals, yeah, a few of us have those. I'm not entirely sure you can replace the motherboard with a new revision, unless it's completely pin-compliant. FWIW, the revision number is under the RAM cover, on the bottom RAM socket. If you have two stick of RAM in there, you'll need to remove one. Anything revision A02 will be fine, the bad graphics chip was repaired in that revision. AFAIK, those boards will work, the little blurb I got on those went up to A05, I think that may be the latest board revision.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby AmberLeaf » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:28 pm

Thats very useful info, thanks! I'm trying to avoid buying a potentially dodgy one.

Would you be able to give me rough dates on the revisions? I know Dell and nVidia claim they fixed the issue with A02, but I'm reluctant to believe that. I'd feel more comfortable with an A05 or later. I've seen A06 for sale from an English seller, but they cost quite a bit more.

I know I'm being fussy, but this is the 3rd time I've replaced the board :)

EDIT:
It appears that CN-K984J / 0K984J / K984J is an equivalent board to the PU073. Does anyone know if thats true, or what the differences between them are? Is the K984J a newer version etc?

Thanks.
Last edited by AmberLeaf on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmberLeaf
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:36 pm

No specific dates that I can find, that's a Dell thing again......best I can tell you is that the laptop came out in mid-2007, and the latest notes I've seen on that motherboard are from 2008. You also need the latest BIOS for the board (A12?) that improves thermal control for the graphics. So pretty much anything from 2008 to mid-2009 when the lappie was taken off the product line would be fine, I'd guess, with the newer BIOS.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby AmberLeaf » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:54 pm

If you heard of A05 in mid 2008 then we can assume A06 is after that. Good info on the BIOS too thanks.

I have a good idea of the timeframe of the latest revision now, thats what I needed.

Thanks again :)
AmberLeaf
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum