Problem between MB and Video card or something else?

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Problem between MB and Video card or something else?

Postby Brainstorming » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:53 am

I am having a problem with my new computer. It's freezing instantly and I was told that the problem is between motherboard and video card and to try with some other MB.

This is my machine:

Intel i7-920 Core 2.66GHz BOX
GigaByte GA-EX58-UD3R
3 x 2GB DDR3 Patriot Viper PC1600, CL9, PVT36G1600ELK
Sapphire ATI 5850, 1GB DDR5
TV card Leadtek DTV2000H+
DVD+-RW Samsung SH-S223B/BEBE
1TB WD SATA2, 32MB, 7200rpm, Black WD1001FALS
Chieftec CFT-750-14C, 750W

Windows 7, 64bit

Everything was checked except other MB. I am not willing to change ATI 5850 for some NVidia (with NVidia everything is fine, no freezes. At the moment GTX 250 is in there) 'cause it is best buy and NVidia in that range is much expensive. Some guys told me that they pretty same components and everything is fine with them. BIOS is updated.

Somebody with same problem?
Somebody with something else to check or do to work?
ASUS P6T SE is my new pick. Some experience with it?
Suggestions for some other MB?

TNX in advance
Brainstorming
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:05 pm

Lots of helpful tips in the 'stickies' that are in both the ''General'' and ''Tech Help'' Forum topics.
Typically, review the setup to ensure that all mobo and device power leads are in place, as well as all fans spinning normally. The CPU does need a positive contact with just the right amount of heat-sink paste or pad to make efficient heat transfer.
Memory used must comply to the FSB speed in use, and be installed in the same-color slots to enable dual- or triple-channel memory designs. You cannot mix different memory speed types successfully, unless the slower module is the first-detected. And all modules should ideally be identical as to amount and timings. Brand name is not a factor.
As to another possible cause, ensure that the BIOS pages reflect the true design of the setup, with no duplication of features.
The amount of memory modules may also be a factor. Try a test with just ONE module in one slot only, to see if you have stability.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:13 pm

Ok, silly question just to narrow it down a bit. You have an nVidia vid card and the TV tuner in there now? And that works. But putting an ATI card in doesn't work. I assume you took the TV card out, to verify that the ATI vid card itself isn't the problem?

One thing I can point out is your PSU. Multiple rails, with just 18a on each rail. It's entirely possible the nVidia card runs fine, while the ATI card fails, simply because the ATI is drawing too much power. Not finding much on power draw on that card, best I can spot is around 151 watts power.....it'd be cutting it close. You'd be pushing hard running my older 8800GTX, it actualy draws more power than your GTX250. Got another PSU to try, either a single rail, or a newer higher-amp multi-rail? Between that card, proc, RAM, power draw for the TV card..........
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum