need advise on best motherboard

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

need advise on best motherboard

Postby gesa » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:18 am

hi

do you know or can advise the best cheapest intel motherboard which can run 3GHZ intel P4, intel Duo and quad and uses ddr2 ram with 4 dimm slots?

pls advise

thank you
gesa
Initiate
Initiate

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:35 pm

I can narrow it down a little bit. There is no board that will run both a P4 and a Core2Duo, two completely different sockets. For a brief period you could get LGA775 boards for Prescott processors, but they went bye-bye when the Core2's were released.

Also pick "best" and "cheap", you're not gonna get both. :P

You're looking for an ATX motherboard, is all, socket 775, will have a max of 8GB RAM (four slots), just pay attention to what processors they will run. Any specific processor in mind?
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:38 pm

The Core2 Duo is a LGA775 processor so it's not compatible with your current socket 478 3GHz P4.

If you can find the odd socket478 board with DDR2 slots, it will have only 2, the other 2 being DDR (combo boards). Socket478 is old, we are already 3 generations past it (LGA775,1366,1156). Time to ditch that 3GHz P4 (sell it) and get a new board/cpu combo.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

combo boards?

Postby gesa » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:49 pm

hi can you pls clarify what you mean by (combo boards) ?

evasive wrote:The Core2 Duo is a LGA775 processor so it's not compatible with your current socket 478 3GHz P4.

If you can find the odd socket478 board with DDR2 slots, it will have only 2, the other 2 being DDR (combo boards). Socket478 is old, we are already 3 generations past it (LGA775,1366,1156). Time to ditch that 3GHz P4 (sell it) and get a new board/cpu combo.

hi can you pls clarify what you mean by (combo boards) ?
gesa
Initiate
Initiate

Postby gesa » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:52 pm

fussnfeathers wrote:I can narrow it down a little bit. There is no board that will run both a P4 and a Core2Duo, two completely different sockets. For a brief period you could get LGA775 boards for Prescott processors, but they went bye-bye when the Core2's were released.

You're looking for an ATX motherboard, is all, socket 775, will have a max of 8GB RAM (four slots), just pay attention to what processors they will run. Any specific processor in mind?

i checked spec of socket 775 motherboard and it only supports maximum of 2 ram slots not 8
gesa
Initiate
Initiate

Postby fussnfeathers » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:41 pm

gesa wrote:
fussnfeathers wrote:I can narrow it down a little bit. There is no board that will run both a P4 and a Core2Duo, two completely different sockets. For a brief period you could get LGA775 boards for Prescott processors, but they went bye-bye when the Core2's were released.

i checked spec of socket 775 motherboard and it only supports maximum of 2 ram slots not 8

What specific board did you check? You want ATX and you likely looked at mATX (micro ATX) Any standard ATX motherboard has four slots. Only the small, all-in-one mATX boards had just two, and that is even subjective to the board model. Many newer mATX boards also have four slots. Also note that I said 8GB not eight slots, the total amount of RAM, not the total amount of physical slots.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:51 am

gesa wrote:

You did not check all manufacturers then, I have a mATX board, LGA775, DDR2 with 4 memory slots and Core2 support:
http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Mothe ... uctID=2600
At my very first attempt to find one.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby AmEv » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:59 pm

Wait....
ATX is 7 slots.
mATX is 4 slots.
(m)IBX is 2 or 1.
I'm gonna get my new hardware. And my worklog here.
AmEv
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Wanting to be at these forums, but not as active as they

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:27 pm

AmEv wrote:Wait....
ATX is 7 slots.
mATX is 4 slots.
(m)IBX is 2 or 1.

If you're talking PCI expansion slots...........yes. Memory slots are completely different.

fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:59 am

expansion position slots. What is actually there (PCI or PCIexpress) isn't clear these days. I found a mATX board with the wanted specs and I suspect there are more of them out there. Let's see what gesa has to say.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum