i need user's manual PLEASE hELP =(

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:24 pm

Many BIOS types are custom-written for the branded name. But Award, AMI and Phoenix are the major providers.
With custom-written BIOS programs, many features may be omitted from the 'generic' variety.
But check all BIOS pages for a statement about "quiet" operation, or fan control.
If people want absolute silence from a computer, they should put it in another room.
What.. does the fan noise interrupt their earbud screechings??
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:02 pm

JanH wrote:There's no "CPU Health" in my BIOS Setup. Nothing about fans and nothing about temperature.

I've been keeping a spare fan plugged in to the Case Fan socket, just as a test, and I've noticed something interesting. Usually it doesn't run, and so of course the machine won't boot up without me pressing F1. But every once in a while it boots without that, and whenever it does I look down at that fan and it's spinning! It seems random; I can't figure out a pattern, except that it usually doesn't work.

That might be because the fan sensor reading is producing enough ticks to keep the bios happy. I Might try and find out if there's such a thing as an special case fan for these systems...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby JanH » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:48 am

evasive wrote:That might be because the fan sensor reading is producing enough ticks to keep the bios happy. I Might try and find out if there's such a thing as an special case fan for these systems...

Yes, that seems likely. A special case fan that does something I don't know about. Or maybe a bad connection that sometimes gets lucky.

I don't know if I made it clear before: when that test fan runs (rarely), it runs pretty fast. The rest of the time it doesn't run at all. And the machine boots with no F1 whenever the fan is running.
JanH
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby JanH » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:58 am

Karlsweldt wrote:If people want absolute silence from a computer, they should put it in another room.

I always wanted to put the comuter in another room, but then what do you do about the video cable?

With my first computer, an IBM PCjr, I tried to put the fan noise in another room, by connecting a Volkswagen Beetle heater duct to the fan outlet and running it far away from the machine. But I couldn't get it far enough away. So I made a muffler to run it through, like the muffler on a car. Then an engineer told me the PCjr doesn't need a fan, so I just removed it and ran it completely silently for many years.

Noise is the only reason I build my own machines. I'm extremely sensitive to noise -- even noises that other people can't hear at all can drive me crazy. And through a combination of picking the right hard drives and coolers and fans, and mounting everything on rubber, I do get them so quiet that if there's no music playing and no car going by outside, and not even the refrigerator motor running out in the kitchen, you can't tell by sound whether the computer's on when you're sitting at the keyboard.
JanH
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:38 pm

JanH wrote:I always wanted to put the comuter in another room, but then what do you do about the video cable?

:lol: :lol: Yes, it might be a problem with a thick cable bundle snaking about! But you can safely go up to 15 ft. from the PC to the monitor, kb and mouse. The ultimate quiet computer is the water-cooled type. The external radiator fan is the only minimal noise, aside from the PSU's fan.

All those small DC fans need almost full voltage to begin spinning.. or they may not spin at all, down around 8 volts. And if the bearing lube has dried, then excess friction will cause the fan to not spin freely. Have you tried booting without the extra fans connected?
When you power on a computer, there would be an inrush of current which could be 2x the normal running current.. so the PSU doesn't preset its PG signal until the load has stabilized. Normally 2~3 seconds is all it takes.
If the PG signal is low, then that also would prevent the mobo from becoming active.. only fans may spin, or lights glow.

But obviously, as you noted, the system boots without a hitch, whenever that fan is spinning freely.
With no power to the system, check the fan's health. Use a toothpick to push the blades. If they jiggle to a stop, all is well. If they coast to a dead stop, the bearing lube has dried.
It is very easy to relube those fans. Peel the back label, and find a small plug covering the bearing.
One or two drops of light oil, such as 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil worked into the bearing by finger-spinning the blades for a minute is all it takes. Blot out the excess, reassemble and reinstall for more years of service.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby JanH » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:43 pm

I've often run fans on 7 volts to make them run slower and quieter. It works fine. I've never seen one that won't run that way. I connect them to a molex drive connector, the red fan lead to the +12v and the black to the +5v.

Thanks for the tip on oiling old fans, but I've tried 4 different fans, all of them new, with my problem socket.
JanH
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby JanH » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:54 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:But you can safely go up to 15 ft. from the PC to the monitor, kb and mouse.

I've just learned that there are 50' monitor extension cables. And you're supposed be able to run a USB device (keyboard and mouse) on up to 80' of cable, by chaining USB repeater cables. Don't think I'll try that, though. I've got the noise problem under control for now. :lol:
JanH
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby jxdesign » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:03 pm

JanH wrote:
evasive wrote:That might be because the fan sensor reading is producing enough ticks to keep the bios happy. I Might try and find out if there's such a thing as an special case fan for these systems...

Yes, that seems likely. A special case fan that does something I don't know about. Or maybe a bad connection that sometimes gets lucky.

I don't know if I made it clear before: when that test fan runs (rarely), it runs pretty fast. The rest of the time it doesn't run at all. And the machine boots with no F1 whenever the fan is running.

Just wondered if you ever solved this fan failure "F1" issue. I just came into one of these boards and I have to F1 every time I boot due to the result of "cpu fan not found" and "case fan not found" very annoying.
jxdesign
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby JanH » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:59 pm

jx: No, I never solved it.

I only had the problem with the case fan, and only because the case fan power outlet didn't work. The cpu fan outlet did work, and I never got a "cpu fan not found" message.

I assume that mine was a defective board, with some internal problem that first showed itself in the form of the case fan outlet not working. The whole board died a little later -- in stages, but all in the course of a few days.
JanH
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby jxdesign » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:42 am

Well that's not great news :(
Hopefully this one lasts a little bit longer then that.
Thank you very much for getting back to me on this though.

jx
jxdesign
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PreviousNext

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum