i need user's manual PLEASE hELP =(

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby JanH » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:43 am

When mine boots up, it tells me it's an "HP d530 SFF (DG781A)". HP support says the "DG781A" means the Small Form Factor version of the d530. So that helped a little in finding support for it.

I'm really disappointed by how little HP tells you about its motherboards, and how few choices the BIOS Setup gives you.

And Asus completely disowns the board. Even the Asus "PC Probe" CPU monitoring software wouldn't install on it. It just told me flatly that it's not an Asus board. Are we sure it really was made by Asus? Mine doesn't say Asus on it anywhere.

I couldn't find a CPU monitor to download at HP. Does anyone know of one that will work on this thing?
JanH
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby JanH » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:48 am

I made a map of the board so I could figure out where everything is without a microscope. If anyone else wants it, here's a link to a hi-res image of it:

JanH
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:32 pm

This seems to have become a 'community' thread!
JanH, the reason you don't have audio is perhaps because you need two jumpers on the pinset for 'front audio'. That will enable the rear audio jacks to be active.
The reason HP (and other brands) paint over the mobo markings is so you won't go to the parent supplier for drivers. You have to come back to HP!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:24 am

@JanH: Thank you very much. I'll try and put it in the Compaq/HP pages at http://www.elhvb.com
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby JanH » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:32 am

Karlsweldt wrote:JanH, the reason you don't have audio is perhaps because you need two jumpers on the pinset for 'front audio'. That will enable the rear audio jacks to be active.

Thanks, Karlsweldt! That did the trick.

I never had to do that before, because I always bought boards that had all the necessary jumpers. But looking through the manual for my last board, I see that they warned me about it, in case the supplied jumpers ever got removed:

JanH
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby JanH » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:00 am

Well, that leaves only one physical defect in my board -- the Case Fan socket. Or am I misuderstanding that, too? Could it be that it's supplying a lower voltage, for some special HP case fan, and my normal 12v fans just won't run on that lower voltage?

What about trying to trick the Case Fan speed sensor? i.e. shorting the +V pin to the Sensor pin (red lead to yellow). So that I don't have that problem with booting up. Has anyone ever done that? Would that tell the board that the fan is running at infinite RPM's? And would that make the board happy?

If my problem really is a defective socket, it might not work anyway. But would there be any harm in trying? I'd hate to short-circuit something after going to all this trouble to get the board working.
JanH
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:30 am

You should be able to measure where the voltage is at with a basic multimeter set for volts 0-20.

I think you can disable the fan sensor in the bios by pressing the F11 key when it asks you to go into setup, on some HP/Compaqs you get the advanced settings menu then. Please let us know.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby JanH » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:38 am

I've always been afraid to put meter probes, or any metal object, anywhere near a running motherboard. But I decided to risk it this time, and got a 12 v reading from the +V to the Ground pin. So now I'm back at square one. The same fans that won't run on that socket run fine on the case fan socket on another board. And, contrary to what I said before, they don't feel like they fit any tighter on that other socket. They just felt tighter on the CPU fan socket on the P4SD.

There's no prompt for F11, but I tried pressing it at various times, no response except one time a "Keyboard error". The BIOS setup has an "Advanced" tab, but there's very little there, nothing about a fan sensor. There's a choice of whether to enable prompts for F9, F10, and F12, but all 3 are enabled, and the startup screen only shows prompts for F9 (boot menu) and F10 (setup), no F12. Pressing F12 during boot-up doesn't do anything either.
JanH
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:12 pm

Here is a link to show the pinout of those fan power ports.
The center terminal is +12 volts. With the tab facing away, the left terminal is the sensor, the right is the common. You don't want to power the fan from the +12 volts to the sensor terminal! That can fry the BIOS sensor!!

Many mobos have a fan speed controller, for quiet operation. The fans may spin up for a few seconds when powering on, then stop.. or slow somewhat. When the CPU temp comes up, then the fans spin fastest. The BIOS should have a control line in the "CPU Health" page where you can set the operation of the fan. If you are not using some of those fan ports and they are monitored, then set the control as "ignore" for speed sense.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby JanH » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:12 am

There's no "CPU Health" in my BIOS Setup. Nothing about fans and nothing about temperature.

I've been keeping a spare fan plugged in to the Case Fan socket, just as a test, and I've noticed something interesting. Usually it doesn't run, and so of course the machine won't boot up without me pressing F1. But every once in a while it boots without that, and whenever it does I look down at that fan and it's spinning! It seems random; I can't figure out a pattern, except that it usually doesn't work.
JanH
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PreviousNext

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum