i need user's manual PLEASE hELP =(

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby RobyToby » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:18 am

Hello,
I've bought a "simple P4SD" motherboard and followd your suggestions for the SW-power Connectors.

When not connecting the 12V connector: by switching on, the only thing happens is a two scond run of the cpu-fan and the popping up of the keyboard-leds.
The strange thing hereby is, that connecting the 12V connector, nothing happens but the green power-led on the Motherboard is on.

I also resetted the cmos - I guessed, the reset-button is that yellow one on the board.

by the way, is there a place on the board to connect the beeper?
RobyToby

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:59 am

Welcome to Motherboards.org, RobyToby!
No, that button on the case does not reset the CMOS. It causes the main system to briefly shut down and restart. There is a jumper set on the mobo that is used to clear the CMOS memory and reset default conditions. Refer to your mobo manual for details.
If there is an on-board speaker ("squeaker"), it would be a very tiny round item with a hole in the top. A four-pin group of terminals would have a jumper on two pins to enable it. Any small speaker with a 4~8 ohm impedance with suitable connector will suffice as a system speaker. Normally, pins #1 and #4 are for the external speaker.
Ensure that the processor is compatible to the mobo intent, as well as memory. There are several "stickies" at the top of the Forum page.. very helpful for trouble-shooting.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

P4SD Motherboard

Postby t3chn1c0 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:00 pm

I bought one of these motherboards from Geeks. I had no problem hooking it up to a standard ATX case, although there is no IO shield for it. But when it came to getting the sound to work, that was another issue altogether. I found this motherboard to be EXTREMELY similar to the ASUS P4P800-VM. That is where i found the pinout for the front panel audio, and which pins to short to enable it. However that wasn't the entire problem. For whatever reason the driver did not allow the sound to work, even though it showed no errors in XP device manager. I ultimately stumbled onto the test button, Control Panel, Sounds and Devices, Voice Tab, and test hardware button. When I pressed this, the computer went out, got a couple of DLL's, and presto, sound worked just fine after that. No idea what the DLL's were, but everything is now copacetic, and I was able to rescue some older hardware, with an inexpensive, reasonable, motherboard.
t3chn1c0

matching ASUS bios for this (other than using HP's bios) ?

Postby dontbuyemachines » Fri May 30, 2008 9:45 am

Has anyone found a working ASUS bios for this P4SD?

I'm using the HP one but the bios is very restrictive and i need
to overclock it so it can play BD movies adequately.

I have an Intel Celeron D 330 cpu @ 2.66 on this mobo, and need
bump it up to 3.x so the BD movies will play without looking like
a slideshow. :-)

Thanks for any help!
dontbuyemachines
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri May 30, 2008 4:40 pm

dontbuyemachines, a Celeron is the lowest "runt" in the processor family. Its L2 cache is the smallest of any line. They are what remains from the sorting and testing of processor manufacture. They work, but at a snail's pace compared to other processors.
Check your compatibility chart for processors on that mobo. If it can't support a Prescott, it still may support a Northwood.. which has 512Kb L2 cache instead of 128Kb L2 cache!
The more L2 cache available, the fewer return trips the processor needs to make to the programming for instruction sets.
If the FSB is limited to 400 Mhz, that will also slow overall performance. Even a 533 Mhz FSB won't be a great performer. But at least you could get up to 2.83 Ghz on 533. If it has an 800 Mhz FSB, you could go out to 3.2 Ghz.

If you over-clock any processor too much, its cache memory will react the same as main system memory.. read/write failures!
If your mobo is the P4SD-LA (Details:), then you have a lot of CPU options.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: matching ASUS bios for this (other than using HP's bios)

Postby evasive » Sat May 31, 2008 6:54 am

dontbuyemachines wrote:Has anyone found a working ASUS bios for this P4SD?

I'm using the HP one but the bios is very restrictive and i need
to overclock it so it can play BD movies adequately.

I have an Intel Celeron D 330 cpu @ 2.66 on this mobo, and need
bump it up to 3.x so the BD movies will play without looking like
a slideshow. :-)

Thanks for any help!

That won't cut it if being overclocked either. Get a decent CPU as Karl said.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: memory issues

Postby JanH » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:09 am

maneek wrote:I found my problem, i was trying to use pc3200 1gb sdram- Did not work, slapped in pc 2700 512 - worked fine...

Sleepy888 wrote:... I got the thing to boot up with my PC3200 (DDR 400) ram...

I wonder if there's a difference in the chipsets? Intel's "Memory Configuration Guide", for the 865G/P/PE, page 5, says that G and PE support pc3200, but P only goes up to pc2700.
JanH
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby JanH » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:19 am

I got stuck with one of these boards. Mine has "P4SD" printed on it, with a plain HP sticker trying to cover it up. It's funny they printed a number that HP needed to cover up, if it was made exclusively for HP.

Mine booted up right away, but it has some defects. No sound, no ethernet, and no front USB. Device Manager says the ethernet and USB controllers have no drivers, after I've tried every piece of software I could find from HP and Intel. The rear USB ports work.

HP's installer for the SoundMax audio seemed to work o.k. (Intel's just kept telling me there's no driver), and Windows told me the integrated sound is fine, with the right drivers. But no sound ever came out of the on-board audio jack. I had to install a PCI sound card. Next, I suppose I'll have to buy an ethernet card. So I'll start out with only one spare PCI slot, on a supposedly all-in-one motherboard. I'm wondering if HP or Asus dumped these boards because they had a lot of defects. I always thought Asus was supposed to be the top brand for quality, but this is terrible. I never had any trouble with the MSI and Soyo boards I've used in the past.

Plus I always have to press F1 after the POST, to get it to boot up, because it thinks I don't have any case fans. The problem there is that the socket for the case fan doesn't work. I've tried it with 4 different fans. 2 turned very slowly, and the other 2 just whined. Fan plugs feel like they fit loosely on the pins, compared to other fan sockets. Maybe it's a physical defect that's causing the problem.
JanH
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby JanH » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:26 am

Revo1 wrote:I have this motherboard, Asus P4SD i865pe, and I can't find an audio driver for it.

As noted above, my onboard audio doesn't work, but HP's installer for it, filename "sp27103.exe", acted like it was working, and Windows seems to think it worked. I think my problem is a defective connector. Maybe it'll work for you. I can't post a link to the download site, because I don't have 5 posts yet.
JanH
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby JanH » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:32 am

Revo1 wrote:... Asus P4SD i865pe...

That's a little different. Mine is also a P4SD, but the chipset is an 865G, not PE. I pulled the heatsink and read the numbers on the tiny little blue square: RG82865G, SL743.

That seems to confirm what I suspected earlier, that P4SD's have different versions of the 865 chipset, which might explain why Sleepy could use pc3200 but Maneek couldn't.
JanH
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

PreviousNext

Return to Motherboard Identification Forum