Help identifying or finding jumper settings for 286 motherboard

The place to post if you are having trouble identifying your motherboard.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

polpo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Help identifying or finding jumper settings for 286 motherboard

Post by polpo »

I need help identifying or at least figuring the memory configuration jumpers on this 286 motherboard with an ACT A27C001 chipset. After scouring all 286 motherboards on TH99 I can't find a match. I was originally excited about this board because it looks like it's never had a leaky NiCD battery soldered to it, and has just relied on the external battery connector.
Numbers on PCB: 702356C
Sticker on ISA slot: 12_286MX IJK

It also has a "LTI PASSED Q.C." sticker. That and the 12_286MX sticker makes me think it may be a newer version of this Leading Technology 12/286MX board: http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/3447. Some of the jumper locations are similar, but it has the addition of 30-pin SIMM slots and a larger set of DIP switches, marked RS, 0WS, FS, DX, and 640.

Looking at other ACT chipset 286 boards, jumpers or DIP switches will need to be set for the memory configuration. Currently the board doesn't post and gives 3 short beeps on power on (Problem in 1st 64KB of RAM) with either 2 or 4 1Mbx9 SIMMs installed.

Any ideas? My next step is to dump the BIOS EPROMs to see if I can find a BIOS ID string number.

polpo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Help identifying or finding jumper settings for 286 motherboard

Post by polpo »

I've dumped the BIOS and booted it in PCem, and got the following BIOS copyright message and ID string:

286-BIOS (C)1987, for LEADING TECHNOLOGY INC.
BIOS ID DAMI-3601-043089-K0

There's also another ID I missed on the board: 35-2454-01. This 35- prefix indicates it's a Leading Technology/PCPartner/VTech/Laser board.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by evasive »

It is definitely PcPartner/Vtech. Not yet listed as such in UH19. I'll have a go at comparing it with other boards in there and who knows we'll find a match
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Post by Toby B. »

Another one to keep an eye on, look legit but.. IP found in spam database: https://cleantalk.org/blacklists/172.69.71.133
polpo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Post by polpo »

I promise I'm not a spammer, I'm just someone with an old motherboard that I'd like to get working some day :) - At the risk of being off-topic for this post, that IP address belongs to Cloudflare, who looks like provides DDoS protection for motherboards.org. You probably need to configure phpBB to record IP addresses via the header that Cloudflare provides instead of the IP making the HTTP request, or maybe use something like mod_remoteip if you're using Apache.