The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: HELP WITH DELL HELL
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:07 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Reviving an old topic.

I have an old Dell XPS T450 (I'm the original owner :D) that has an Intel SE440BX-3 motherboard I am working on.

I need a Manual for it. I checked on the Intel website and they no longer list a download for it (although they do still have downloads available for the SE440BX and SE440BX2)
Unfortunately the Intel download links for the PDF Manual and the Updates provided by Aussie in his post no longer work.

Does anyone know where I can download the Manual for the Intel SE440BX-3 ???

.........did anyone by chance download it in the past (when it was available) and save a copy in their archives?

I'm hoping someone uploaded the Manual somewhere or could email a copy to me. Any help genuinely appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:32 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Let me check the archives. It looks like something I may have downloaded.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:08 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

evasive,

I really appreciate you offering to search your archives.

This old computer (still used offline!) has "Sentimental Value" to me since it was the first and only computer my Father ever had, who recently passed away.

I contacted Intel directly and got the typical runaround ](*,), telling me it's a Dell board and to contact them. When I pointed out that they (Intel) actually had provided downloads for the SE440BX-3 Manual on Intel's own website (I gave them the old link), and that while they no longer "supported" the SE440BX and SE440BX-2, you could still download those from their website, the response was, " hmmm, you make a good point, um.....sorry, we can't help you."

Forum member moderator "Aussie" likely dowloaded it, but I see he hasn't posted here for years.

I am hoping I'll get lucky and you have it.

I look forward to your follow-up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:44 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

The SE440BX-3 series motherboard was used in several computers. Likely there still is a file in an archive of either Intel or another company, but may be hard to find. The common features of the board may be in all BIOS types, but each branded model can have unique features that are not compatible with other brands. The previous version of that board, SE440BX-2, is listed in the Mobokive from this link. May be of some help, but no guarantee.
http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/I ... 40bx-2.pdf
Intel does have this archive link.. for user manual and drivers..https://downloadcenter.intel.com/produc ... -SE440BX-2
But a statement notes that the board and model are no longer supported.
Another link found.. https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/in ... rs.651627/
Maybe something here?.. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/44093 ... board.html
Have you checked the Stason site?.. https://stason.org/search.html?cx=00034 ... &sa=Search

I have an old SB Creative 'Blaster' PC tower that used the similar board, a slot 1 design. But would only go to a 600 MHz CPU.
Did have jumpers for setting basic auto-set features or semi-manual settings. Still a working system, but won't go well with later than Win 98SE OS.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:33 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Karlsweldt, this is an OEM-only variant of the board with at least a different sound-chip and maybe different processor capabilities too. Like I said, it is likely I ever downloaded that manual as I have a list of OEM Intel board somewhere on my website. The thing is I cannot reach that one from my current workplace.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:48 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Understood, evasive.. "made for" by Intel for Dell. Major chipsets and some features may be similar, but other features priority to Dell's design. That last character, "3", of the SE440BX-3 description, denotes a version different from "2" but may have some similar references.
Here is another thread on the same model.. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=97848
A lot of older Dell units had a priority design for the PSU connections, and different wire colors than standard.
When needing service or parts for Dell or some other brands, there is need of the info on a service tag usually found on the back or bottom of the unit. This is Dell's reference to what the unit actually is.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:41 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Thanks to both evasive and Karlsweldt for their replies.

evasive is correct that this is an OEM of Intel components made for Dell.

Here is a reference to SE-440BX-3 on the Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20011101085 ... herbd/oem/
The two links shown on the Wayback page for PDFs link to Intel's own Website. Neither work anymore.

The mystery to me is WHY Intel took down the links for the SE-440BX-3???
Sure, you could argue that this board is "old" and no longer supported, so it should be no surprise they removed it....EXCEPT, the SE-440BX and SE-440BX-2 are just as old and are also no longer supported, YET Intel DOES still have these two boards available for download on their company website. It makes no sense to me, and even the Intel rep I contacted said that I had made a good point regarding these facts (but had no explanation as to why the SE-440BX-3 was no longer downloadable other than his guess was that it was because it was no longer supported. He would not further research it for me).

Karlsweldt- As far as using Dell's website and entering my "Service Tag", unfortunately it does not recognize my number. It says "There is no match for that service tag". I guessing maybe their database doesn't go back far enough to show my system.

evasive- What did you mean when you wrote "it is likely I ever downloaded that manual as I have a list of OEM Intel board somewhere on my website. The thing is I cannot reach that one from my current workplace."?

Could you clarify this?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:54 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

In the more than 30+ years I have worked with and repaired computers, "have seen it all" in a sense. A lot of brands have their own proprietary designs and features, and BIOS. Compaq, Digital and HP had real oddball designs at one time. IBM had their own oddball "Model 60" and "Model 80" which were huge, heavy tower models (80286/80386). But some had a handle to carry them! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_System/2

As to 'taking down' the link for that SE-440BX-3 system, it is not an original Intel design or product. Only while the design was in current production or existing warranty period, was it live. Dell is likely the only source of any references now, or someone who has the data in an archive.
What evasive meant by his notation about ever having saved the files is that yes, good possibility. Some of his archives are not available on-line. He is a highly respected and talented professional with computers and technology.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:52 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Jay, I see nobody has taken the time/effort to upload them somewhere. Looks like I'll need to update some of my pages. I'll keep you posted.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:48 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Thanks to both evasive and Karlsweldt for their continued efforts to help. You guys are fantastic!

Karlsweldt: - I appreciate your experience and insight. Regarding me finding it was a mystery as to why Intel removed the SE440BX-3 manual from their server: I probably did a bad job of wording my last post.

To clarify, the reason I found it perplexing that it was no longer downloadable was because, if it is "normal practice" for Intel to remove information once it is "out of production and/or warranty period" (which seems reasonable and makes complete sense to me), then the SE440BX and SE440BX-2 (which are also out of production and out of warranty period) would be removed as well- The thing is, although Intel explicitly states on their website that the SE440BX and SE440BX-2 are "no longer supported", Intel nonetheless still maintains the files on their website for download...but for some unknown reason the SE440BX-3[/b isn't. That defies logic and seems "random" as to what Intel keeps available and what is removed. That "conflict" was why I was confused. Also, the fact that SE440BX-[b]3[/b was not an Intel design really didn't seem relevant, at least in this particular case; since despite that, Intel still chose to upload it to their own server for download previously......anyway.

As far as your comment regarding Some of his (evasive) archives are not available on-line.
Since I am completely new to this forum, I was not aware that evasive had a website of on-line archives. After doing some hunting around, I'm guessing you meant here: http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/intel/inde ... FrontPanel
My genuine apologies for being unaware of this great resource. :oops:

As to [b]evasive's
comment, the part I didn't understand was the part that read "I cannot reach that one from my current workplace".
I wasn't sure what he meant by "cannot reach" and from his "current workplace".
My guess was that he was saying he was currently at his place of work, was having trouble "connecting" to a website where the file might be stored, so he would have to wait until he got home to search through his personal storage devices to see if he had saved the file there. That was my best guess, but I really wasn't sure.

Once again, my sincere thanks to all. I'll stay tuned to check for any updates evasive may have to finding the manual.