Boards for affordable student system

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Valour » Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:42 am

berkmberk2 wrote:Mr T. ...... at least there is one gentleman here. Thank you for giving me the closest answer to my question that, incidentally, this PARTICULAR forum is for......getting to the heart of a question without scouring the internet! If we all need to do that, then there is no need for Motherboards forums!

Spie :D

You asked for suggestions and tips and you got them. You've been rude enough that I wouldn't care to give you any more. I wish you luck with your cheap computers.

-Jem
"The proverb says that Providence protects children and idiots. This is really true. I know because I have tested it." -Mark Twain

I wrote this book: www.herotale.com
And here's the next one: www.emeraldblackbird.com
Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby EvLwMn » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:37 am

No one here is going to spoon feed answers to you. You are expected to do your own research. We are here to CLARIFY anything you don't quite understand or to help you narrow things down by comparing features of components to what you are going to use them for and to give you our best professional recommendations based on what you tell us you need.

OH - You DO get what you pay for and often if you go the cheap route you end up paying twice. Is that REALLY saving any money?
"You can't go to Windows Update and get a patch for stupidity." - Kevin Mitnick
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby JohnCD » Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:33 pm

That's what the Internet is for: Information. You search for it.

John D.

P.S. I for one prefer to help those who also do some work for themselves. Others may do it for you.

Sorry, I should not have replied in the first place I guess but left the above tips intact for other people reading this thread who may be more teachable.

JD
________
The cigar boss
Last edited by JohnCD on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnCD
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby schuyler1 » Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:34 pm

Your right about onething. I personaly have spent countless hours on the net doing research on what is available and what you can buy for a reasonably price (just ask my wife) and which mobo is the best for what you want to use your computer for. I think, and I am a newbie and not a genious, but I think the computer should be built around a good mobo. Even after all the research, You want to be able to pick the brains of the people who have been around computers and know them inside and out. Thats what I thought this type of forum was for. But it seems that you experts are real choosy about whick post you respone to. I've ask several times about what you experts thoughts were on several mobo, and didn't get much of a response. So I guess I'm saying I will do some more research, and then pick my own mobo. Might as well close this baby down. Thanks

PS I bet this will fuffle some feathers[quote][/quote]
schuyler1
Initiate
Initiate

Postby EvLwMn » Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:52 pm

schulyer1 - you asked what we thought of your motherboard choices and we told you we think they're junk. Why can't you accept that? So we're not choosy about which posts we respond to, we responded to yours. You just aren't hearing us.
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby JohnCD » Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:42 pm

Let me try to clarify my position:

This forum is only a very SMALL part of what should be your total plan re: your product research process...there are "pros" -- who probably know more about computers than I ever will -- at places like AnandTech, Tom's Hardware, ArsTechnica, OCWorkbench to name a few -- whose opinions are in my view more valued than some of ours...at least MY opinion because I know I'm surely NOT an expert...I've never even met an expert.

But what it seemed like with you, you wanted someone here to do all the work for you and you had done nothing for yourself...that's not really fair, is it? As I said, I don't mind helping people who work WITH me but not people who expect me to hand everything to them...I guess I see WAY too much of that in the public "schools" every day.

So you get a few comments from us here re: your mobo or other hardware you list...what does that really mean when you consider the HUGE amount of information that should be your MAIN source out there in UseNet/GoogleGroups, at computer hardware review sites or even some online vendor website like NewEgg.com? THAT'S where the real meat of what you want is. There may be a lots of registered members here on paper but in actuality, not too many are regular posters at any one time. Plus many of them come and go.

As for "experts" here not answering posts re: this mobo or that one -- that we're picky -- maybe we JUST DON'T KNOW the answer but we DO know how to find it...so we tell you how. Isn't that the more valuable input? As the saying goes, Teach someone to fish or just give him fish?

How do you think *I* research my purchases? The same way I'm telling you or others how to...I practice what I preach. See how many posts I've made here asking for information on hardware or what mobo to get next...hardly any if any at all.

Yes, some posters want people here to opine re: their hardware choices, but I also KNOW -- and I hope THEY do -- that it's a SMALL part of the BIG PICTURE...you MUST go lots of places. If YOU already have, did you state that up front? If not, how are we to know what you did? We aren't mindreaders. Just state "I have researched this all over the web and found lots of stuff (some people say they found nothing on an ubiquituous product/mobo so LOTS of info is really out there...they did NOT really search at all and we know it) but I'd like your opinions on this setup or this mobo and/or components."

That way it shows you HAVE made some effort to gather info and we just ADD to it...not supply it all.

I can tell you all about your mobo...if I search for it...but I can't tell you much off the top of my head because I use/have used other brands. But I sure can come up with a very thorough evaluation in a few days on it...but so can you. That's my point.

For example, I can't say ANYTHING about Soltek mobos...I've never even seen one. So if someone asks about that mobo brand, I will probably NOT be responding...is that rude? No, I just don't know. How are we "experts' supposed to know all the mobo brands? Or even all the models within just ONE brand? We can't.

That goes for OTHER questions, too. For example, someone posts about wanting to know how to overclock...I won't hep them do that for several reasons, so I do not respond. Is that rude?

Finally, no one here really OWES anyone who posts any answer at all...where does it say that? We respond because we WANT to -- and maybe because we also KNOW something hopefully -- but not because we MUST respond.

This type of forum IS for sharing opinions -- some agree with you, some do not -- same with me: Some will take issue with my speaking up for the "POS class" of mobos like ECS and PC Chips. Okay, we have different opinions, but you did not make it clear that you even knew how to research the Internet -- or were even inclined to do that -- so in my case, I laid out a plan for you to find your own answers. Not my fault...just trying to help. But you didn't even think that was worth much I guess. Yet it is.

Finally, you could research the thousands of posts HERE IN THIS VERY FORUM alone and see if your mobo has already been discussed...did you do that? If not, you should have. If so, state that you did. This forum has archived LOTS of valuable posts...maybe you'd get more opinions that way than from the current number of us actively reading these threads at any given time.

Anyway, let us know what you've already done so we can take it further...no sense in wasting our "expert" advice if you've already done it or already know it.

If you're just lazy, state that also right up front and at least I definitely won't respond.

Regards,

John D.
________
Halfbaked
Last edited by JohnCD on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnCD
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby EvLwMn » Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:58 pm

Very eloquently stated John.

One more thing - there is NO ONE in the world who knows EVERYTHING about computers. Pro or not.
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby schuyler1 » Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:59 pm

Yo dude, I did here ya. You just cant read. I went back and checked my post/Questions. The 1st one I asked about was the sy-p4x400 Dragon Ultra. GaySatyr suggested the sis648 which I did. No mention of junk here.

The 2nd post I asked about the 845E Max2 LR and the 845 G max L. GaySatyr said both were good boards He suggested I think about any major mobo manuf. Said I should research the net, which I have been doing. No mention of junk here.

The 3rd post when I asked about the MSI P4 648 Max-L. Mooi only commented on what I thought I was going to buy OEM. He didn't say anything about the mobo. He works for jncs, and I asked him about why they didnt carry a perticular board. He told me. 76 looked, 1 reply. No mention of junk here.

So I didnt see anything about any junk. You better stick to computers, otherwise you dont know crap about what you are talking about. Sounded good thouth for someone who is probaly a jerk Glad I'm not paying you $60.00/Hr for advice.

See ya later, probaly not, sense I'll get my advice somewhere else.
schuyler1
Initiate
Initiate

Postby JohnCD » Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:05 pm

My main points were not about "junk" at all...you still don't get it. Yes, I sure did waste my time replying to you.

Have a nice trip,

John D.
________
CALIFORNIA DISPENSARY
Last edited by JohnCD on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnCD
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby EvLwMn » Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:29 pm

OK
Valour said "None of them" translated junk.
John told you where to go to find problems, quirks, etc.
Valour elaborated on the pitfalls of cheap - translated junk.
Mr. T warned you about getting what you pay for as did I - translated junk.

It seems to me that John is the ONLY one who didn't post about junk - just like he said.

Only my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.....
EvLwMn
Black Belt
Black Belt

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War