Copy-Proof CD's Cracked!

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Wyrm73 » Wed May 29, 2002 8:59 pm

Kind of a side note to this topic (like more fuel was needed for this fire 8) ), I heard today that the recording industry now is charging radio staions extra money if they broadcast on the internet. Back up and realize what I just said...EXTRA. The record companies even charge the radio stations to play their music. What a raquet, get someone to pay you for them promote your product! Now thay have to pay an additional amount for the privilege of broadcasting via the internet. The station that I heard this on simply chose to end their internet broadcast, as will many others. I say good for them. I wish I could be that idealistic.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Tolemac » Thu May 30, 2002 1:52 am

I myself listen to favorite songs and CD's over and over depending on my mood and what cd it is. I have also watched several films that are very high on my list of great movies quite a few times.
Though I have never bought a CD that only had one good song on it, I did purchase an LP a few years ago that was exactly like that. There was a song back in the early '80s called Driver Seat by Sniff n the Tears. Fun song, so I decided to get the album. Big mistake! The rest of the album sucked!!! :x Now, I download the song I like and then check out the rest of the cd on download. If I like it, I go and buy it. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tau » Thu May 30, 2002 4:34 am

Man
What a can of worms has been opened up in this thread.
My self i dont have a problem with downloading Music files for my own use,
The only cd's i have burnt have been for my daughters birthday parties, being young they dont have the cash to go out and spend $25 yes $25 on music Cds. You are all quite rightly moaning about the price of CD'S in the States but as you can see here in the UK they are considerably more expensive, so we should be moaning loudest of all.
I can see Datektraders point of view but i can also see Peters side as well.
It seems as tho this so called new technology is an excuse for the large Corporations to Rip off the end user eg all of us, This includes all of the software companies.
How often do Microsoft come out with a New O/S to often you say so what do we do download a pirate copy to test then if M/S are lucky and its not full of bugs we may go out and purchase a Legitimate copy. Unlikely i know but thats the theory.
Now if the price of that software of music CD was say half the price would you go and buy it outright sooner i like to think i would
Just out of interest a full copy of Windows XP Pro is around $450 here in the UK.

Here endeth my ramblings for the day.

Tau. :wink: :wink:
Tau.

"Learn from other people's mistakes, it's quicker."

Tau
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Tolemac » Thu May 30, 2002 10:14 am

Tau, send me $150.00 USD and I'll ship you a full legitimate copy of XP Pro, as that is what it is going for here.
BTW, is that 450 dollars or pounds? (can't make the stylized L)

I would most definitely purchase software and music straight up if it were half the price. $5 to $7 dollars for a CD or $20 to $40 for app/OS software and $7 to $10 for game software would be just fine in my book. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby MoboCop » Thu May 30, 2002 11:33 am

ok crap. You had to do it. Games, both console and pc title are EXPENSIVE.

Now how do you feel about copying those bad boys (dont know how to copy console games) but to legally play all the games that catch my eye I have to spend 100-300 dollars per month!

CRAP. Guess I will just code instead.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby datektrader21 » Thu May 30, 2002 11:47 am

Console games can be copied very easily you just need a mod chip in your psx or psx2 I dunno about xbox or NGcube but I imagine its probably the same. Peter knows more about reproducing games for the psx, i am sure only as backup copies. of course you can usualy find good psx games on kazaa. again legally all of this is wrong. most game manufactures address the idea of play before you buy with game demos, that can usualy be had for free with the subscription of gaming magazines. as for operating systems, people had winxp cracked and out on kazaa 2 days after it was in the stores, i know of a few people who have used the cracked versions with no problems, and therefore feel its pointless to buy it since they already have a free working copy. i even know people who swear to never buy any operating system since they can all be had for free. the same goes for games and software. i my self am guilty of having a few games that i have never paid for. but when i do find a game i really like i go out and buy it, simple to give thanks to the people who made it. the ultimate games are of course thief the dark project and thief 2 the metal age.
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Aibohphobia » Thu May 30, 2002 11:56 am

i know of a few people who have used the cracked versions with no problems, and therefore feel its pointless to buy it since they already have a free working copy

Yep, That's me. I had WINXP for a few months, but then got sick of it. So even if I had bought it, which I would never do for Microsoft, it'd be a waste. Software piracy is bad though, for music is more of an art, while software is how people feed their families--except for Microsoft and other multi-billion dollar companies.
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Thu May 30, 2002 12:02 pm

while software is how people feed their families--except for Microsoft and other multi-billion dollar companies.

I think that proves one of my theorys.
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Tau » Thu May 30, 2002 12:20 pm

Tolemac
That was DOLLARS not pounds.

Tau.

BTW
I bought an album (you know that round black thing ) by Mark Knopfler on the strength of one track, which was exellent the rest was complete garbage, so you are not alone on that score.
:evil: :evil: :evil:
Tau.

"Learn from other people's mistakes, it's quicker."

Tau
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Aibohphobia » Thu May 30, 2002 7:34 pm

but when i do find a game i really like i go out and buy it, simple to give thanks to the people who made it

you wouldn't have bought the games if you could have found an easier way of obtaining the actual cd's. sometimes just downloading can be a pain in the ass and you'd instead just pay for it, this is also why album sales go up. I would like to maybe see some information on the effect of piracy on software? do they have a think like the RIAA for the rec industry?
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War