Copy-Proof CD's Cracked!

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Aibohphobia » Fri May 24, 2002 5:47 pm

'piracy' in this situation brings either no revenue difference, or increased revenue. 'people here a song on the internet then go out and buy the cd' Wyrm made a good point, GREED is in the industry, and by buying the cd you aren't helping the artist, you're helping the company.
Last edited by Aibohphobia on Fri May 24, 2002 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Fri May 24, 2002 6:40 pm

greed may play a role in the price of a CD but then again are they not the ones making the CD, promoting the artist and yes paying the artist without the company's to mass produce CDs and organize concerts, artist would be nothing more than garage bands playing at local bars. most artist don't have the intelligence to run there own promotions and organize multi million dollar concerts. and since you think me a politician Mr.taylor i will end with this. the money spent on CDs and concert tickets and everything else related to music. is divided up [maybe not equally] amongst the artist, promoters, executives, agents, and anyone else who had something to do with the song. that money is then returned into the economy be it a stage hand shopping for food or an executive buying a 20 million dollar yacht, it still goes to keep our country a float all of this has do with the capitalist system that our country bases it's self on, its how we remain a finacial power in the world or would you rather we base everything around communism where we all get the same pay no matter what we do and no body owns anything it all belongs to everybody. have ya had a good look at Russia lately how about China would ya rather live there?
Last edited by datektrader21 on Mon May 27, 2002 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Wyrm73 » Fri May 24, 2002 9:03 pm

OK Doc, sounds like you're right. When's this one going to get moved?

To be clear, I think that the recording industry is WAY to greedy in their pricing of the CDs and tickets. This includes the artists. Even though they get a fairly small share, they still get plenty more than I will ever make in a lifetime. Still, I shell out the money with a smile on my face. I am a big music fan so unfortunately I don't have much choice. Using the exorbient prices as an excuse to steal does not work for me. I do think that once I spend my money on the recording I should be able to play it on whatever device I choose. So I welcome the knowledge of how to defeat an attempt to limit my choices on the music I paid for the right to listen to when and where I want to. If the limitations are part of the copyright then they need to make this clearly visible on the package. I understand limiting the copying of the material, but if I want limitations on the playback of the recording then I might as well listen to it on the radio.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Aibohphobia » Fri May 24, 2002 9:57 pm

It kind of got off-topic, as this was simply a humorous post on the fallability of Sony's, and any company's, attempts of copy-protecting digital media. What it boils down to is that everything digital is going to be copied, stolen, pirated, whatever by those who would not pay for the actual cd anyways. They put protection on media, but this prevents the actual usage of the media on cd-writer and computers. The recording industry is evil, look at what they promote with the millions they make: pure trash. Often the best music is that which is not made by a multi-billion dollar company of people who tell the artist what they can and cannot produce. Pirating data and audio has always been around and always will, if damage occurs on one of the multi-billion dollar recording companies--which I hope does happen, then artists will have to go back to the honest way of promoting their music through selling their music on the internet and money through concerts. It would be a free music business of artists contributing to radio stations etc. and releasing their music online for people to hear and then see the band in concert. Music is an art, and should not make talentless promoters and recording companies rich. Local bands and others stay local because recording industries listen for a popular beat to make a dollar on.

I don't think I've bought a CD for a year or so. Maybe I'm a music 'pirater' or maybe I'm just smarter. Lubricating the industry's gears with money will only speed up the the machine's want for cash.
Last edited by Aibohphobia on Mon May 27, 2002 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Wyrm73 » Fri May 24, 2002 10:14 pm

No sir, this shouldn't be moved, as this is hands-down datektrader21 versus the entire motherboard forum public.

#1- Would you two take your pissing match elsewhere? Anytime you two post on the same topic you seem to get into it.

#2- I don't think that the ENTIRE motherboard shares your opinion (or mine or Daytek's for that matter.) We all have opinions that should be respected.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby datektrader21 » Fri May 24, 2002 10:15 pm

All I can say is WOW! I think will wait for the response from someone else before putting time and thought into a real reply. :roll:

wyrm is right this is a pissing mach so I will concede and end it. Hopefully a moderator will lock this one down.
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Aibohphobia » Fri May 24, 2002 10:50 pm

Indeed Wyrm, you are so right. I see now that this is mostly political ideas that are an insult to the great Mother Board. I can argue my point but it then becomes a continual struggle involving more and more facts and information and opinions then would otherwise be needed. In the end it's just a draw between people.
Sony is a good company, they release the music of a few good artists, and do their job well in promoting and getting some bands credit. However I don't think that they have a right to ever tell me what I can and cannot do with a CD. Why do they even make blank cd's, and why so cheap? But to put music on and whatever I feel I want to do with it.
Software piracy however is a bit different. Software development is more of a business than an art and by pirating we are hurting the future software.
Sorry for my inappropriate personal attacks toward DatekTrader, at the time I was having to watch some very annoying kids which angered my comments and increased my confusion.
I just wish there were more people like Wyrm in this board :)
Datektrader can't we be friends now? Just let me get the last word and we can put an end to this :P :P :P
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby MoboCop » Sun May 26, 2002 11:39 pm

Well I moved it but I am not locking it. I would like to remind people that we can argue and fight here no problem as long as it remains impersonal.

Please refrain from labelling someone because of the ideas they are supporting. This is a forum of free speech and the exchange of ideas not of free slander and mud-slinging. For those involved I would appreciate it if you would edit your parts in this thread to comply with the above. Thanks.

I personally find this topic very interesting. And again you are able to state your position and how you feel about another's position as long as you are respectful about it.

Such things as, I dont agree because that is wrong rather than you are wrong and are a scum sucking pig and you are the cause the of the dark side gaining power over the light. And so on and so forth.

-----------------
Ok so here is my opinion on this juicy topic. There are two issues really

1) can I copy songs I purchase to any medium I want for listening.

2) can I profit in any way from the product I purchased.

For me this is easy. 1) yes 2) no

The real stickler is this.

Can I download an mp3 (without purchasing it) for free and make copies for my listening?

I am in the 12 year old mentality group. I have downloaded many songs to listen to from the internet for free. Many are songs that I have liked that I would never purchase the cd. never have never will but I did like a song. Some are songs I like that are newer and after listening to them a while I either end up buying the cd (if I really like) or I dont.

There are also the issue of songs I have downloaded that are no longer being sold (out of print). This has been a great resource for that.

Now with all that being said, I would really like to see the numbers that show the internet is reducing revenue for the artists and publishers and that is why cd costs are high. I dont buy it for a minute.

I honestly believe that the distribution of mp3's has broadened and expanded their artists potential fan base.

I think the solutions they need to look at is more of an embracing of the medium and to figure out how to maximize it to their advantage.

-----
ok one last point. I have not downloaded an mp3 for at least 8 months. Why? Morals, ethics? NOOOO. Boredom. Pain in the butt. What do I do instead? I use an internet radio station and tune it to a genre I enjoy.

Much easier decent variety and almost no commercials. Downloading mp3's for me was a novelty that became tedius and worthless.

Anyway these are my opinions and I may be wrong but I hope someone else is.

Out.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby datektrader21 » Mon May 27, 2002 1:17 am

well mobo cop i emailed sony for some hard numbers, when i get a response i shall post it. As for the slander i think i got most of it out.Image
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Tolemac » Mon May 27, 2002 1:27 am

MoboCop wrote:I honestly believe that the distribution of mp3's has broadened and expanded their artists potential fan base.

BINGO! We have a winner! 8)

Datek and Peter: CD prices have always been way above what the cost of production is especially in comparsion to LP's and cassettes. It is incredibly cheap to create cd's, and the profits that the record companies and artists are making are proof of that.

If you are unfamiliar with the process, let me break it down for you.
Back in the day, music was recorded onto Master tapes. These tapes were then used to create Master records. Said records were then used to create the duplicate reocrds that were then sold to the public. Not an easy task, and definitely time consuming. Now with CD's, the music is recorded onto digital equipment. This in turn is used to create all of the cd's of that album. As you can see, several steps have been eliminated, and material costs have absolutely plumeted. In turn, the Record companies have jacked the price up way above what the previous medium was going for. Last LP that I bought was going for $7.50 and the first CD I bought was $12.00!!!

This is why I personally have zero problem with downloading and burning whatever music that I want. I still buy CD's, but only after I've listened to a whole album and decided it was good enough to buy. Otherwise, it gets deleted from the HDD and that is that.
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War