Copy-Proof CD's Cracked!

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Aibohphobia » Mon May 27, 2002 1:36 am

I used to download cd's off of the internet and sell them for a small profit to friends. Maybe 5 bucks or less, and a CD with a case and a cool little print-out--normally the CD's were mixes of songs from other CD's. I'd like to think this was taking business away from the recording industry, but I don't think it was now. People hear, become fans, and then support the band by buying the Actual CD and so they can get the real CD with the real front and back covers and the booklets.

As for me, I haven't bought a CD for a year or so, and wouldn't have, because prices are outrageous and the music isn't worth it to me. I only have a computer to listen to music on, so buying a CD would just end up being ripped on the HD anyways, and so I buy a 15 dollar worthless cd-case for a crappy band with 2 good songs.

I don't believe artists should be millionaires having orgies with blondes and being idolized for their bank quota and hair styles; this is one aspect I abhor, one reason I don't buy.

I'd listen to a internet radio station, but I haven't found one that actually had as good of quality as CD's[ is there such thing ?? ]. Plus I like the choice I get with the play-lists. I add in a thousand [ i have about 6,000 ]of my favorite songs and put random play on. This would never be conceivable if Sony's protection scheme actually worked, and the artist's music weren't available online.

In the end, I know someone has to buy the CD's, else there wouldn't be anything more produced. I believe spreading music online and through mix cd's gets people more influenced by music and will buy the CD. I would do this if I had money and didn't have the time to download.
Last edited by Aibohphobia on Mon May 27, 2002 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tolemac » Mon May 27, 2002 1:39 am

Peter, fix your post please. :x
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby datektrader21 » Mon May 27, 2002 1:39 am

HOLY CR#P you used LPs and Cassettes My God you must be AncientImage

anyway like i said i will get some info from sony and post the facts as they see it
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby datektrader21 » Tue May 28, 2002 3:10 pm

ok here is sony's reply to my question. if downloading mp3s, burning them and selling them hurts the industry? wach out its complicated.

The short answer is yes
and they suggest going here for full details http://www.riaa.org so maybe later on i will browse this sight and find some info to post.
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby MoboCop » Tue May 28, 2002 3:42 pm

hmmm. After a quick search I could find no hard numbers other than cases where cd-plants and other places were sued for $$millions.

Now I wonder if that is regaining lost revenue or reaping a bonus since they probably would not have had that distribution channel in the first place?

hmmm...I dont know guys this is more slippery than astro-glide.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby Aibohphobia » Tue May 28, 2002 4:33 pm

Such results will never be attainable. I did not do much research, but what I did read seemed as if the 'billions' the recording industry 'lost' actually means that from the raids they did they confiscated 'billions' of dollars worth of CD's if they were sold by the recording industry themselves.
I just wish they didn't charge so much for a piece of plastic with music on it, else I wouldn't 'pirate'.
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Tue May 28, 2002 5:07 pm

hmmm...I dont know guys this is more slippery than astro-glide.
Had a lot of experience with astro-glide mobocop :wink: when I get back tomorrow I will look through that site, as well as send some email's to a few more companies wonder if all their answers will be like Sony's? we shall get to the truth yet 8)

but the simple fact is the recording company owns the rights to the music they produce so reproducing it and selling is simply illegal. i think people harbor a deep seeded hatred of large companies and the success they have enjoyed. this fuels them to cheat these companies out of whatever money they can thereby getting there weak meager revenge. i think this theory applies to most large corporations be it music, software or anything that can be easily replicated and sold. The other theory is that these companies are so large they will never miss a few bucks here and there. every body else does it so why not me.
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby MoboCop » Wed May 29, 2002 9:20 am

I am not sure I agree with those theorys. I think another theory is that people finally have another avenue besides buying a crappy cd for 15 dollars that has one or two good songs on it.

I do buy CD's to listen to in my car. In my house I listen to a selection of a couple hundred of mp3's I downloaded about a year ago.

I personally have not ever made a cd from the mp3's not even to listen to myself let alone sell.

Have you ever purchased a CD because you like a song you heard on the radio? Only to discover the rest of the cd sucks. It ends up collecting dust and an almost complete waste of your money. I recently did this and I NEVER except for a few times when I first bought it put this cd in my player.

I do not disagree that the songs are the copyrighted material of the artist or publisher. But the copyright is there to protect against people making a profit from their property, not to prevent people from listening to the music.

I would like to see hard numbers on how much they believe that mp3s cost them? And I do not mean about large cd houses that are burning thousands of copies. Again they sue them and get money they would not have had before. I am also of the mind that mp3 are a great grass roots marketing tool on the internet not only providing established artists with more market but allowing some new artists a new avenue to be heard.

I think that the record industry should find a way to embrace this new frontier and their customers rather than trying to be big brother and control everything.

These publishing companies and artists are making bank. You know it. I know it, and the internet is not preventing them from getting more than their share of the pie. So I say quit whining about some imagined loss of income and control the publishing on the mp3s yourself and use the interent to really get the product moving.

Sure some people will never buy the cd's, but many more do and still will. They prefer the quality of cds, and like to possess the cd itself with the jacket. They also do not like to mess with the computer and the downloads.

I guess to sum it up I do believe their are issues with this but I think fighting it and whining is the wrong answer. They need to embrace the medium and use it positively.

They are still going to make their money. No question about that. And while they are at it, bring the price of CD's down to 5-8 dollars and watch the sales soar. Same thing with DVD's. What the hell is up with the pricing. It is a movie for pete's sake. How many times can we watch it?

These are just my opinions I could be wrong.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby datektrader21 » Wed May 29, 2002 10:04 am

Same thing with DVD's. What the hell is up with the pricing. It is a movie for pete's sake. How many times can we watch it?

Hey man gladiator rocks I watch that movie over and over and over and over and over again. you can never watch a good movie to many times.

As long as people pay the prices they will always be high. Most people don't think twice about dropping 20 bucks on a good dvd. however if anybody and I mean anybody buys the new Jennifer Lopez movie I will personally hunt them down and beat them to death with there own shoes.

One thing I must say about anything I post on this topic, I am simply trying to play the devils advocate [Even if I suck at it] I feel someone should provide a counter point other wise this discussion would have ended on the second post. If it has to be me by myself so be it I love a challenge.
Last edited by datektrader21 on Wed May 29, 2002 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Aibohphobia » Wed May 29, 2002 1:45 pm

I can barely watch a movie twice and normally can't stand to listen to even a 'good' cd more than once. But now that you mention it, I think I am going to go buy the new Jennifer Lopez movie.
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War