Favorite Board Manufacturer (better)

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Who is your Favorite Motherboard Manufacturer??

ABIT
69%
Epox
No votes
Asus
8%
Jetway
No votes
Intel
8%
BIOSTAR
No votes
ECS
No votes
Shuttle
3%
MSI
10%
Soyo
3%
AOpen
No votes

Total votes : 39

Postby micknugget » Tue May 11, 2004 5:23 pm

Okay, maybe not propaganda. but many do push Abit as the best board out there period and that's not so. Although some of you may not have personally had problems with Abit boards, I have as have others. Just read the reviews and ratings at Newegg.com. Don't get me wrong, Abit does make a great board, better than most, just not neccessarily better for everyone or every occasion.
If it ain't broke, don't let me touch it!!

P4 Northwood 3.2 (oc'd 3.42)
MSI pt880 Neo mobo
512k (2x256) Geil Ultra Plat. DDR433
160gb WD hdd
Geforce 6200 256mb
Thermaltake Lanfire VM2000-A case
lots of lights and sparklies!!!
micknugget
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Black Wolf » Tue May 11, 2004 6:52 pm

Sabrewings wrote:
Black Wolf wrote:
miki02131 wrote:Thanks for making my board choise easy. Yes I mean easy because Abit seems to have no competion. So I am going go with the best: Abit. Why because, the majority of Mobo.org geeks say so.

I think also that I'll go ATI in graphics. I am still undecided over Intel or AMD CPU though.

Another one has been lost to the propaganda machine :cry:

Want a hug? Must have more souls, err, converts!! :twisted: :wink:

Sure I will trade my sould for a hug :cry:
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Tulatin » Wed May 12, 2004 10:22 am

well, the thing is that i find most issues that users have with abit are their own fault. Configuration errors and the like. Sure the occasional board is bad (very rare tho), but for the most part, they're perfect.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby dr_st » Wed May 12, 2004 1:15 pm

Tulatin wrote:Propaganda is false information. Naught of what we say is a lie.

Propaganda is not false information. It's just a means of presenting information so as to support a certain cause. That is not to say that the forum members here are doing it. It just happens that most people here are avid Abit fans.
dr_st
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Tulatin » Wed May 12, 2004 1:17 pm

so in essence we're selling the product, and besides, we have a major/minor bias
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby miki02131 » Wed May 12, 2004 4:25 pm

I accept the fact that the forums members can be bias toward ABIT but their bias better based on solid facts. Otherwise, they won't have any credibility in the tech world.

There are performance parameters on which a board quality is based. These should be our guidlines in voting for a board. You need to check the board performance for whatever this term means and its features. Whichever board gives better performance and more features should be the top board on our lists.

Performance are based on benchmarks and features are just a matter of counting.

My understanding is that people here are going for ABIT because it offers more features and outperforms every other boards. If you had based your vote on propaganda or some baseless bias, please let me know so that I can contiue my quest to find the top board on the market.
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby dr_st » Wed May 12, 2004 10:37 pm

My understanding is that people here are going for ABIT because it offers more features and outperforms every other boards. If you had based your vote on propaganda or some baseless bias, please let me know so that I can contiue my quest to find the top board on the market.

The ABIT boards in general don't ofer more features than any other board based on the same chipset. The only thing that is traditionally present in an ABIT board and traditionally absent from most other boards is a full set of audio ports on the back panel. Otherwise, it's the same feature set.

The ABIT boards in general don't outperform all other boards that are based on the same chipset. They are traditionaly among the best performers, in some benchmarks they are first, in some they are second or third, etc, but there is no clear advantage of any sort. When it comes to factory settings performance, ASUS usually has the slight edge.

But people on this forum are what you call "hardware enthusiasts", and as such, they care a lot about things the average user might not care about, like advanced BIOS settings, overclocking, etc. What they claim is that in this field the ABIT boards have a clear advantage over the rest. Not being an enthusiast myself, I cannot uphold or disclaim this statement.

However, I can guarantee, that if you buy ABIT, you get a VERY GOOD board. It may not be the best, and it definitely won't be "the best, period", but chances are, you will be very happy with your purchase.
dr_st
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby miki02131 » Thu May 13, 2004 2:24 am

In other words, its factory defaults settings may not offer the best performance on the market. But if the user can take advantage of the advanced settings, then the board can be made the top performer that money can buy. If the board allows the user to finetune it so that it outperforms anything other comparable board, then that's enough to make it the best.
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby skydive » Thu May 13, 2004 4:07 am

I'll have to raise my flag & show support for the MSI camp out there.

I have always been impressed by the extra features on the enthusiast boards, the additional items (smartkey, full quota of cables etc).

But perhaps most importantly, the ease of use of the manuals!

Don't get put off by the old mobo I'm using...I have built and used newer ones. I just like the dual channel ATA133 RAID on this one.

ps, anyone got anything good to say about FIC? :lol:
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD XP2800+ Barton
2x256 Corsair XMS @ 2,2,2,5
WD 1600 SATA
Hercules Rad 9800 Pro
SB Audigy 2 Platinum internal
Waterchill on CPU & NB
Tagan TG-480 U01
Lian-Li V2000
Creative DTT 3500 Digital rewired with Van Damme cable
skydive
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Black Wolf » Thu May 13, 2004 5:39 am

skydive wrote:I'll have to raise my flag & show support for the MSI camp out there.

I have always been impressed by the extra features on the enthusiast boards, the additional items (smartkey, full quota of cables etc).

But perhaps most importantly, the ease of use of the manuals!

Don't get put off by the old mobo I'm using...I have built and used newer ones. I just like the dual channel ATA133 RAID on this one.

ps, anyone got anything good to say about FIC? :lol:

Welcome to camp MSI soldier.

The pacakge that comes with the MSi boards and all MSI products has alwasy been a feature for myself. Motherboard, you get all your cables, round ide's, SATA, USB, Audio (if all 5 ports are not already on the back panel) and of course the traditional DVD disc that all boards seem o come with :?

Also with there graphics cards which alwasy have a impresive bundel of games and software for around the same price as Asus video card.
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War