Interesting events over at Intel today

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Interesting events over at Intel today

Postby trophyhunter_1 » Fri May 07, 2004 6:14 am

Looks like little ole AMD is shaking things up.....

Intel to officially announce the "Death of Netburst"

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2004M ... 025053.htm

Intel confirms Tejas, Jayhawk dead

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15777

Intel’s Potomac team gets dissolved

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15768
Asus K8V Deluxe
Athlon 64 mobile 2800+ (1.4 vcore, 1MB cache)
(25C idle, 28C load)
Thermalright SLK-948U Heatsink
Vantec Tornado 92mm fan
2 sticks Mushkin 256MB PC-3200 Basic Green
ePOWER PUMA II 450W
trophyhunter_1
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby trexntx » Fri May 07, 2004 6:25 am

Verrrry interesting development. Wonder what could be next?
Antec NeoHE 550
AMD 64 X2 4600+
ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE
Corsair XMS (2X512)
Maxtor SATA (2x300GB) RAID 0
trexntx
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Copper » Fri May 07, 2004 7:48 am

Intel produce cheap CPU'S

well i can dream cant i :P
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Peanya » Fri May 07, 2004 7:58 am

Bah you beat me to the post!
That's the key reason why Intel is going to the rating system vs GHz.
Anybody who knows about the actual performance of the Intel processors knows that the P4 wasn't effecient on a clock-per-clock basis as the P3 was. The Pentium-M was a slightly modified P3 with just a couple more pipelines and a much faster front side bus. This was a very nice performing CPU.
The good news is it's going to be moved to the desktop! It won't be exactly the same, but at least Intel is working on performance now instead of marketing hype.
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby trophyhunter_1 » Fri May 07, 2004 8:17 am

I'm really surprised about intel doing away with netburst, I figured they would always keep that around for the video and music encoding crowd. I guess the laws of physics have caught up with them with prescott (hot and power hungry) being the proof of hitting the ghz wall.

I guess the next question is how will the Pentium-M core scale versus the K-8 and the forthcoming K-9's.
Asus K8V Deluxe
(25C idle, 28C load)
Vantec Tornado 92mm fan
ePOWER PUMA II 450W
trophyhunter_1
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Sabrewings » Fri May 07, 2004 9:03 am

Whelp, I'm definitely hanging on to my P4, then. Looks like mine is about as good as Intel's going to get. 3.6ghz of their encoding power. I saw this coming a while ago. Prescott was not the direction to go. It is too hot, too underpowered, and too deep of a pipeline. Looks like it's finally showed up as the failure we've all known it to be :( . What does Intel have in store for us in the future? Perhaps the Prescott on the 65nm process? Maybe. I still wouldn't want one. Netburst gone?? :cry: Maybe if they redo how they make their chips and clock down the speeds and get some great performance gains (like with the PentiumM), then they may look into it again. I always figured they hit this wall with how they were ramping up the clock speeds. As one article said, they can't get around the laws of physics.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby trophyhunter_1 » Fri May 07, 2004 9:31 am

Sabre,

I figured intel was heading this direction when they announced plans to go with a model numbering scheme some time ago, but I figured they'd keep a line of netburst chips going for users such as yourself. I really figured the chip industry was going to head towards a wider variety of chips so buyers could buy a core with their uses in mind. Maybe R&D cost make this approach unprofitable.

This should be a good year for AMD, and they need it. One of my main fears was if AMD ever went under then intel would remain unopposed and intel could charge whatever they wanted for very little innovation. Even if a person is an intel fan thru and thru they have to admit AMD has made the intel chips cheaper for them.
Asus K8V Deluxe
(25C idle, 28C load)
Vantec Tornado 92mm fan
ePOWER PUMA II 450W
trophyhunter_1
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Sabrewings » Fri May 07, 2004 9:38 am

trophyhunter_1 wrote:Even if a person is an intel fan thru and thru they have to admit AMD has made the intel chips cheaper for them.

Too true. They do have some uses. :wink:
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby inteljunky » Fri May 07, 2004 10:46 am

trophyhunter_1 wrote:One of my main fears was if AMD ever went under then intel would remain unopposed and intel could charge whatever they wanted for very little innovation.
8O 8O 8O you mean like M$??? :lol: ..sorry just couldn't resist

it seems like this year will be very interesting for vid cards and procs 8)
Folding folding folding keep them procs a folding.......

P4 2.53 ghz @ 2.86
inteljunky
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Peanya » Fri May 07, 2004 11:33 am

I don't think Intel is too happy about AMD's latest triumphs over them. They are developing the new dual core processor, which should really help the overall performance.
Which means AMD will have to design something more powerful as well in the near future.

The good thing is Moore's law is not dead. It's been typically stated that processor SPEED doubles roughly every 18 months. This is not what it originally was, it was the number of TRANSISTORS that doubles. This has held somewhat true for a while. Remember 55 million not too long ago? Now the newest are over 100, and soon to be over 200 (the newest Nvidia chip has 222 million).
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War