Norton products. Anyone like them or hate them?

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby triggerhappy41 » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:23 pm

The firewall in my router does the job AND doesnt take up cpu cycles. You can tell I uninstalled norton.
CPU=AMD Athlon X2 3800+
RAM=Corsair XMS DDR400 1GB 2-3-3-6 Timings
MOBO=ASUS A8N-E
VID=EVGA GeForce 7950GT
HDD=74GB WD Raptor
triggerhappy41
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby darthmarlan » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:20 pm

Nope don't like them, Did use Anti-Virus, and a few other Norton products for a while, but also didn't like the way they hogged resources. Have been using a combination of Avast! anti-virus, Sygate personal firewall and a variety of other blockers/cleaners with no dramas ever since.
darthmarlan
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby len444 » Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:36 pm

norton is definitely bloatware.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby beeboy » Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:52 pm

I do the same DarthMarlin with no problems whatsoever. It's a nice combo.
beeboy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby dencraig » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:30 am

Norton is okay: McAfee is too big for it's britches now.

Peter Norton started out the "hard drive Guru" and was then acquired by Symantic after gaining real respect and popularity from the computer world. John McAfee was the big antivirus guy at that time, but when the Michaelagelo virus was revealed, the whole world was ready to pay for protection from it, almost no matter how much it might cost! Symantic got on the band wagon and developed an Anti Virus and put John Norton's name on it (for some instant credibility I guess). The world waited for the day of reconning: Michaelangelo's birthday, but when it came there were less than a hand full of computers that were infected world wide. Result?The Antivirus companies had made a place for themselves forever.

A question arose from that whole event that remains to be answered I guess: Who actually benifits from a virus? Is there a group of people that gain some monitary benefit from a world wide epidemic? Do the Anti Virus companies? :wink:

I'm with whoever it was that said the free program AVG: I'm all for anti virus as long as there are freaks that are shotgunning innocent computer users for a "kick" but I'm also not into financing the big rich companies to give them more incentive to develop "new threats".

That's my 2 cents.
dencraig
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby gamepyrate » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:59 pm

I hate Norton Systemworks 2004, and 2003 for that matter. The only thing that is of use is the speed disk, disk defragmenter thing. Norton antivirus is a piece of crap. I use Norton antivirus corporate edition 7.6. It's a helluva lot less intrusive and doesn't bother me. And anti-virus companies are as much bull $%^!@# liars as politicians or the media. Especially because they occasionally hire a virus writer to help them.
Last edited by gamepyrate on Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby nascarfool.com » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:14 pm

I was using Grisoft AVG but returned to NAV2003. AVG was doing nothing with the latest round of virus infested e-mails. NAV2003 did a fantastic job on the "funky" e-mails.
My Trading References
Like Nascar ? Come visit and talk about your favorite driver.
nascarfool.com
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby watkins » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:42 am

I do not like Norton, too big of a footprint, and I think that Mcafee's personal/home products are crap. However I am very impressed with McAfee's corporate products (Network Associates), Virusscan Enterprise is an awesome product, it has a small footprint and does the job well.. the only limitation is that its only for NT, 2000, XP, 2003. But like I said it is awesome and fast.
watkins
Initiate
Initiate

Postby mikevalla » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:41 pm

I LOVE Norton products and would marry them if I had the chance. Except the anti-virus- it's kinda like the "day after" pill of the birth control world....

But on a serious note, Norton Systemworks 2003 is much better than previous releases. Of course, the thing to keep in mind is that no one program is going to be able to do it all; and besides, the best prevention to a computer problem is never owning a computer in the first place :wink: .
Compaq Presario 710US laptop, EVO N115 Heatsink
1.1 GHz Thunderbird Duron, 512 MB RAM, 64 MB video, 10 inch AC fan

I suck A$$
mikevalla
Initiate
Initiate

Postby The mugger » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:17 am

I use Norton Products, and never had any issues, the best is Norton antispam, blocks loads of rubbish!
The mugger
Black Belt
Black Belt

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War