Norton products. Anyone like them or hate them?

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Norton products. Anyone like them or hate them?

Postby beeboy » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:03 pm

A few years ago I was introduced to my new computer with Mcafee installed. I soon gave up on Mcafee because of lack of email support in my version.
I then moved up to Norton (remember I'm a newbie at this time) Sytem Works. I figure I have the ultimate tools - wrong.
In the period of a year I had nothing but trouble. I was wiped out by virus at least twice and Norton tools fixed my registry so good I almost wore out my ME cd reinstalling the OS. I was tirering of losing my data.
But it was a learning experience and I enjoyed learning how to reformat.
After much research and some trial and error. I was able to find innovative new products from small companies to try. I was amazed at the performance, small size, and stability these tools offered. I've never looked back.
In all fairness to Norton, I have never tried their 2003 and 04 products.
I think its all part of the newbie experience and one has to go through these growing pains.
beeboy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby peta_byte » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:45 pm

I don't care for norton anymore.. (same for Mcafee) too bloated for my liking.. process intensive.. I run a few other AV's, AVG, f-prot (dos and windows), panda, kapersky.. none of which I leave running actively.. only active processes (of this nature) I keep.. is my sygate FW and pestcontrol.
Need a free host ? click here
Need a free small host for hotlinking sigs into a forum ? click here
peta_byte
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Peanya » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:01 pm

I personally don't like all that add in crap. But it does have an advantage for people who can't keep their systems clean. Antivirus software really doesn't protect you from getting one, it mostly helps repair damage done by one (assuming the company has the fix for it in their updates).
I'm not running any antivirus software at all. Why? I don't download stuff that even has a remote chance of a virus!
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby CDBurner » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:56 am

I have had problems with some Norton products, but Norton Antivirus has always worked well for me (except for when I put NAV 2003 on a Win98 machine). I'm glad that I'm using it because I sometimes get viruses in my e-mail, and Norton has always identified and deleted them before they have a chance to run and infect my systems.
CDBurner
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby beeboy » Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:02 am

I just took a look at Cnet. Norton Antivirus 2004 only has a 28% percent approval rate.
beeboy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tulatin » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:09 pm

I've used norton for years, and rather liked it. Except for a recent firewall update which was fixed affter which caused MASSIVE system lag across win 2k, win me and win 98, on 2 different systems. This also was the death of my ichr5 raid controller - too much rebooting...
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby don'tknowmuch » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:01 pm

I've used Norton for years and can honestly say I've never had an issue with any one that I have installed,and they do a bang up job keeping me clean :D
don'tknowmuch
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby jmstacey » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:41 am

I don't like either of them, especially mcafee.

Best one I like is AVG anti-virus :D

-Jon-
jmstacey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Dano » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:51 am

I use Norton firewall and antivirus and havnt had any problems for the 2 years ive had computers. I dont get a lot of junkmail, but i do download stuff.
.38 posts a day, Beat That!
Dano
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby steve6787 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:19 pm

I personally like Norton Antivirus. I have been using it for over a year now and have had no problems. Has done a good job of keeping my computer from catching the flu.
Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2.8GHz
Dual Boot Win7x64/Bodhi
8 GB RAM
Radeon HD 3450
60GB Vertex 2 SSD (For OS's)/750GB for Data
steve6787
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War