Win98se or XP

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby evasive » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:56 pm

before doing the windows updates (or even going online with XP), install a firewall like the free zonealarm from http://www.zonelabs.com

too may worms out there that grab an unpathced system in minutes.

seen too many, cleared too many 8O
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Darkstar_Surfers » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:17 am

before doing the windows updates (or even going online with XP), install a firewall like the free zonealarm from http://www.zonelabs.com

Strange you should say that.

That was what I did when installing win98se and now I can't install any of the win98se updates. I am guessing my system is unstable because I have not been able to load the updates. And I can't load the updates because of the firewall. Even if I stop it.

I keep getting the following error code.
Send error number to Microsoft (0x800A138F)

Which Microsoft says point to a firewall problem.
Darkstar_Surfers
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Aussie » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:31 am

I can't load the updates because of the firewall. Even if I stop it.

Sorry but if you shutdown ZoneAlarm and you still can't get Windows updates then it's not the ZoneAlarm that is your problem.

Try this, go Start/Run and type in msconfig then click OK. When MSconfig opens go to the Startup tab and uncheck TrueVector & ZoneAlarm and/or zlclient then click Apply/OK. Reboot the machine and try Windows update.

Remember to go back and recheck the items in MSconfig once you are finished.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Darkstar_Surfers » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:57 am

Thanks Aussie

I tried that just now and still can't load the updates, same error code. So what is stopping me.

By the way how do you back up your favorites in Explorer 5.0 and your address book in Outlook express 5.0. I hate lossing them after each re-build of my system.
Darkstar_Surfers
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Aussie » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:23 am

You'll find your favourites in a folder C:\Windows\Favourites just copy the folder & its contents to a floppy disk or another hard drive partition.

Backing up your address book is as simple as searching your drive for *.wab and backing up the file that you find, usually this file is in C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book.

Alternatively you can backup your addresses through Outlook Express by going File/Export/Addressbook and use Text file (comma separated values).

Without knowing the details of exactly what software is on your system and how you connect to the internet I could not hazard a guess as to why Windows update is not working for you.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby zackr » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:30 pm

Go with XP without a doubt I use WIN XP Professional
zackr
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby darthmarlan » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:48 am

Just noticed back a few posts a reference to getting a copy of XP with SP1 attached, I purchased the OEM version of XP Pro with SP1 incorporated...have since downloaded and installed SP2 beta, and I had previously been a big Win98 user (not 2nd ed. - only ever had the original) and even though I thought 98 was snazzy - I like XP a whole lot better, so I would also agree with everyone else and say go for XP....
darthmarlan
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby evasive » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:44 pm

XP=win2k stability with 98se compatibility for games compared to win2k (I must admit not everything runs under XP).

It took a long time to convince me but now I've taken the plunge I'm quite happy...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby CDBurner » Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:26 pm

I used to use Win98 (first edition), too. It was my preferred OS until I finally got a copy of XP. I now strongly prefer XP because of its stability. I have found that a few (very few) old programs do refuse to work in XP, though.
CDBurner
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:20 am

I prefer Win 98SE over XP, because it is a system that has had almost all the "bugs" worked out. Win 2000 Pro is a better system, with the same GUI as Win 98. Win XP was a "quick-to-market" strain, similar to what ME was (no ME for 'me'). True, XP works with the better crash-proof structure of NT/W2k and has multi-processor support/hyperthreading, but I just don't care for the glitz and glop that the GUI presents. Some people do not care to have their lives centered on the "WEBBIE" life style. You can change the structure of the graphics, but you still have problems with the "balloons" popping up frequently, and cannot get rid of them permanently! And it is not the best to work with, in home LAN systems. Refuses to acknowledge one of my systems (registered W98), taking its ID for its own, and yet still recognizes all other systems! Does not like my 'server' being called 'Mainhead". Maybe in a few years, MS will have found all their "glitches" in the haste of releasing OS programs that are not fully "baked" in the oven of reality. Then it may become a good OS. Still trying to get Red Hat to come to terms with XP!! We need a choice with OS versions.. there should be a release of the basic Win 98 SE, with all the bugs fixed, as a new release. Could be combined with the NTFS setup, similar to W2k. XP is not for everyone.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War