AMD demolishes Intel in the value sector

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Peanya » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:18 pm

They just look at the clock frequency. Nothing to do with actual performance. And they look at the price tag. The average consumer today buys price, and in their mind, cheaper is better. We've taken quite a few steps back in the last 50 years, haven't we?
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Tau » Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:17 pm

I have built a couple of systems with the "New Duron" CPU and compared to my 1.7 Celeron rig it leaves the Intel way behind. Also I have read somewhere that the Duron's can be o/c to over 2 gigs. Not bad for about £30 in the UK.
Tau.

"Learn from other people's mistakes, it's quicker."

Tau
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Nads » Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:43 am

I just dont know why any sane person would want a Duron or a Celron when AMD's Barton processors are so reasonable. Ive only had Pentiums and Athlon XP processors, so maybe I am the ignorant one. It just seems logical that an $89.00 Barton is worth whatever extra amount of money it costs over the potentially sub-par, more economical processors.
AMD FX-53
ASUS SK8V
2 WD RAPTORS (raid 0)
BFG 6800ULTRA OC
1 gig OCZ DDR400 (registered)
THERMALTAKE SILENT BOOST COOLER
Nads
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Aussie » Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:41 am

I just dont know why any sane person would want a Duron or a Celron

Because for many people they offer more than enough power for their needs and, combined with a cheaper "all-in-one" type motherboard, the total system price is kept down to a very attractive level.

Most computer users are only doing office/accounting & internet/e-mail with their computers and this type of machine suits their needs and budget perfectly.

As enthusiasts we tend to think that everybody should have a high-end CPU, a 128Mb video card, 1 Gb of memory and 120Gb of hard drive space but these specs are just wasted on the "average" type of computer user.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:42 am

Absolutely. This is the very reason I still spend time on pentium 1 systems. Because in some cases that is all people can afford (e.g. for free) and it's all they need (for their calendar and writing letters).
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Keystone » Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:15 pm

pentium 1 are so simpl, i love working on those systems. Thats when life was simple , no raid,no agp, not as many fans,and they wernt obsolete 1 week after purchase.
Keystone
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Mr T » Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:35 pm

I like the fans for Intel chips better, but I'm not sure the heatspreader on die is a good idea. I was working on a celeron based system this weekend and the heatspreader had baked itself to the heatsink. Had to pull and pray to get it off

An unfortunate side eefect of Intel using a large heatspreading die which creates 'suction' due to surface tension.....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby FatMikel » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:59 pm

so thats why my dad sold so many P133 machines that he had lying around.
FatMikel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tulatin » Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:45 pm

If you think what happend with that celeron is bad, try working with something like ceramique, which has 400 hours of baking on it. Take a screwdriver, apply a LOT of force. Chip shoots off. This is also why many times when you remove a pentium 4 heatsink, the chip comes right with it.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Peanya » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:05 pm

Also most OEM's use Duron/Celerons because when you're trying to get to a specific price AND make a tiny profit, it's a real challenge! Knocking $10 each off of 8 components in a system at cost is very big.
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War