Opera, IE, and Mozilla

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby len444 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:31 pm

although it may looks crowded at first

crowded for sure- fast no doubt. found the pop up ads to be annoying. this is from experience w/ an older version though.

is opera spyware?:
http://www.computercops.biz/article2363.html
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby miki02131 » Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:14 pm

Opera is not Spyware in the sense of backdoor programs or trojans designed to steal personal information such us Credit Card numbers and the like. However, Opera is clearly Adware and it's not hidden secret. You get the product for free, given that you watch their Ads which can be personalized manually or through the adserver itself.
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby len444 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:18 am

is opera open source? if so, would a fork be in order to present a non harrassing version for people to use? and who's to say just where the lines are drawn , as to where adaware, becomes spyware, and then is considered to be viral in nature?
Last edited by len444 on Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby len444 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:34 am

here's an important "timely" piece of info:
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,113664,00.asp
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby miki02131 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:22 pm

Len444 wrote:is opera open source? if so, would a fork be in order to present a non harrassing version for people to use? and who's to say just where the lines are drawn , as to where adaware, becomes spyware, and then is considered to be viral in nature?

No, Opera is not open source. Opera is like Netscape of the early years before MS start giving out IE for free. Back then Netscape had a majority of the market share, now it's not even a major contender.

When you buy an Opera license and register it, the Ad Banner disappears in thin air. Either you buy the license and surf ad free or you use the browser for free and endure the ad banner. I think that's a fair deal.

Common sense can tell you whether or not a software is spyware. I think if opera were Spyware, then it would have been given out for free as you wish. Ask yourself this, how can a company be selling a spyware and still trying to survive and competing with IE? No company can be selling a spyware and surviving in this market. There are many ways to distribute a Spyware, but selling is not one of them.
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby rotarychainsaw » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:22 pm

Just wanted to chime in. I've been using Mozilla Firebird for a while now and I love it. I'm not really a power user or anything, but I feel that most browsers are basically the same. I just consider Firebird a safer alternative to IE.

The cool thing about firebird is the extensions you can DL. To the guy who was saying how he like how Opera would never open a new window, you can download an extension to make Firebird like that. Tabbed browsing is also a cool feature.
rotarychainsaw
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby miki02131 » Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:19 pm

I am in the process of trying firebird although a bit slower than Opera, I think I like it. It is fast, concise, and lean. To me the fact, it doesn't come with an installer is a plus. You just need to uncompress the file to your Program Files and place a MozillaFirebird icon to your desktop and you're good to go. It doesn't mess up your registry and your system at all. This is a nice a gheko build.
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Black Wolf » Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:14 pm

The firebird 7.0 was a lot better that the 6.0 to, a lot of bugs in 6.0. I also like the built in download mangers in firebird as well, the mozilla team have definatly gone out of thier way to make a great product.
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby len444 » Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:51 pm

some of the lean minimalist linux distros are encorporating mozilla firebird. the full blown mozilla browser is way too bloated for something that might run on a p100. even damn small linux (www.damnsmalllinux.org), which is a 50mb distro has mozilla firebird (as well as some other very lean browsers). actually there is a link, and a download manager/ installer that fetches it.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby son0rous » Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:07 pm

best feature of opera: the wand. i dont know how i ever lived without it. Unlike IE where you need cookies to store passwords (which always get deleted when i run spybot) it stores them somewhere else so all you need to do is hit ctrl-enter when you go to a login screen
worst problem: frustrating how it seems to mess up some sites and on certain occasions gets stuck in a refreshing loop.
son0rous
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War