Opera, IE, and Mozilla

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Opera, IE, and Mozilla

Postby miki02131 » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:04 pm

Today, I decided to give the latest build of opera a test and I was stunned by my findings. The improvements in features, speed and look are astonishing. In fact, the speed is what prompts me to post this here. Opera definitely opens web pages as fast, if not a bit faster, as IE. On top of all that, the entire browser is customizable and skinnable to its barebone. It is definitely faster than Mozilla. I do now have to reconsider my classification of web browsers with Opera coming on top, followed by IE, then Mozilla. Correct me if I am wrong.
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby evasive » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:41 pm

Pricing?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby miki02131 » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:57 pm

Although pricing is usually a key factor, I think it's not as important in this case. Because Opera has Free version, which is the one I am using right now. The only difference between the free version and the paid one is that Ad Banner which probably impacts the bandwidth a bit but still I think opera has slight edge over IE currently.

The Ad banner is a small price to pay for a piece like this. I might add, Opera is problably more secure than IE. This is just speculation on my part since I haven't check opera security features yet.
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby beeboy » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:25 pm

I just installed the new version myself miki. It seems pretty good. I have been using Slimbrowser mostly but for some reason it will not render the pages properly now despite a reinstall. Could be my IE is getting corrupt. I've got the new Mozilla and Firebird too but hav'nt played with them much yet. Opera 6 was my fave for a long time but the newer versions seemed to be very buggy until now.
beeboy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:28 pm

Might have a look into this. miki, what OS are you running?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Black Wolf » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:58 pm

Even though Opera is suppost to be faster then the rest, I ahve alwasy been a fan of the underdog and am a big fan of mozilla. I use there new browser firebird 7.0 on all my machines running 98, 2000 and XP.

http://mozilla.org/products/firebird/
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby miki02131 » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:14 pm

I tried it on both RedHat Linux 8.0 and Win 98. It even rocks on Linux and beats both Mozilla and Conqueror which are Standards on most Linux Distros.

I tried it first on Linux but I really fell in love after installing and trying it on 98. It is also user friendly, although it may looks crowded at first, it can be customized to its most basic components.

All customizations can be done from the View menu on the Menu Bar. If while playing with the browser, you loose the Menu Bar, remember that CTRL+F11 or ALT+V will allow you the get the Menu Bar back. From the Menu Bar much can be accomplished.
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Falklian » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:50 am

I used to use Opera as my web browser of choice, the mouse gestures were nice! I had used IE before that because I hated Netscape and I refused to use Mozilla since it was similar to Netscape. After using Opera for a while, I decided to give Mozilla a go again and I fell in love with it. Some options I miss from Opera, like it never opening another window when you click links set to a open a new window as well as the mouse gestures. I gave Mozilla Firebird a try, it's nice and everything, but like Mozilla tons better. I might end up DLing the newest version of Opera though. I had given up on it 'cause it was rendering a lot of the webpages I visited incorrectly, used it in it's early v7 stages. I do know that a lot of things are fixed though because I had downloaded the newest version for my girlfriend's mom so she wouldn't have pop ups while browsing the internet. I use it when I'm at her house downloading things on her cable connection ;)
Falklian
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby miki02131 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:36 am

Black Wolf wrote:Even though Opera is suppost to be faster then the rest, I ahve alwasy been a fan of the underdog and am a big fan of mozilla. I use there new browser firebird 7.0 on all my machines running 98, 2000 and XP.

http://mozilla.org/products/firebird/

I have no problem with your way of thinking. I would only like to point that Opera wasn't always the fastest and the best browser ever. Before testing that last build, I used to think that IE was the fastest and Mozilla offered the greatest features. But after testing Opera on Linux and Win98, I concluded that Opera is in a class of its own. It is the best browser out there in every way possible(Not sure about security yet). Actually, Opera used to be an underdog and it improves so much that it overtake IE and Mozilla, I can only congratulate and admire the work of its developpers.

I was surprise to see Opera compete and beat IE even on Windows platform. When I have time, I'll try to compare it with IE on NT, 2000 and XP. If it beats IE on all those platforms, then I'll crown it with the all time king of browser of browser title. This is really the one browser, I would ever consider buying.

One should check opera on a Unix/Linux platform to really appreciate what this browser has accomplished.
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Raven » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:02 pm

i would use opera although i am useing ie to post my reply right now but dl the pay version theres <removed. no warez here>.
AMD XP 2400+, Abit NF7-S V2,
512 PC2700 Kingston, 256 PC2700 Elixer, HIS Radion 9800 Pro 128ddr, SLK 900-A hs, Tornado Fan, dboX Case w/400 antec,
Sound Blaster Audigy Platium 5.1
Raven
Green Belt
Green Belt

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War