What is the best motherboard brand?

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

What is the best motherboard brand?

Asus
11%
MSI
11%
Abit
41%
Gigabyte
15%
Supermicro
7%
Aopen
No votes
Epox
15%
ECS
No votes

Total votes : 27

Postby miki02131 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:40 pm

Evasive, I don't quite get that last post. Do you go with the forum recommendations or with the ranking system? Do you think the forum is more accurate than the ranking system?
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby evasive » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:45 pm

Not just the forums, reviews and experiences from users all over the place. A board can be good at its initial release but fail miserably after a few months (high return rates). So unless there is a decent userbase you can only go by its benchmark speeds and the bells and whistles it has.

And one point is overlooked: the support one gets. Chaintech make decent-looking stuff, however their tech support totally s*cks.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tolemac » Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:41 am

evasive has the right of it. I don't just read our reviews, I read between 10 and 20 reviews (if there are that many) and I check out other forums to see what is being said on any piece of hardware before I recommend it. Unless, of course, it's something that I have personally used. Even then, my experience may differ vastly from the norm, so I try to give the people who email me for recommendations as many "ideas" about the hardware in question that I can.

The ranking system is what it is. A system to show the viewers the feature set and capabilities of a particular mobo, and how that mobo stackes up with the others. Doc has reviewed a couple of mobos that did very well as far as the ranking chart goes, but after a short while, they had excessive return rates, and, if memory serves, nasty BIOS problems. Here's an example I can give you from personal experience. Remember the Shuttle AK31A? Probably the best mobo Shuttle ever came out with and I recommended and installed quite a few. Then I find out that the North bridge fan likes to crap out after a few months. So, I still recommended it, but with the advisory of what may happen with that fan, and to go ahead and replace it. This is where the forums come into play, so that you can get an idea of what is happening with a mobo from real world experience. Then you can make an informed decision whether to buy or not. :wink:
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby miki02131 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:50 am

miki02131 wrote:Whats up with you, mobo members? Are you all rebels or Am I missing something here? I went to the mobo rankings page and found that a mobo from Aopen has the highest mark. However, most of you are voting for Abit. Can somebody clarify me as to why such discrepancies between the mobo rankings system and its "supporters"(us)? What's happening here, is the ranking system misleading or what?

As you can guess my knowledge in the hardware area is somewhat slim. I would appreciate a sincere answer on this issue. How important should the ranking system be in the choice of the best mobo?

I have to take back the above quote because I had overlooked the AMD boards thinking that the POLL was concerned only with Intel board. When I took a second look at the ranking system for AMD, I found that an Abit board has the highest marked which brings the popular view in line with the mobo.org ranking system.

Not to be misleading, I think the poll should have been formulated to take into account the board platforms: AMD or Intel. After all, you can only ask: which is the best AMD board or which is the best intel board. I don't think it's fair to compare accross platforms. Or is there any such thing, a best board across all platforms?
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Previous

Return to The Hundred Year War