What is the best motherboard brand?

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

What is the best motherboard brand?

Asus
11%
MSI
11%
Abit
41%
Gigabyte
15%
Supermicro
7%
Aopen
No votes
Epox
15%
ECS
No votes

Total votes : 27

Postby Peanya » Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:51 pm

I guarantee if he tried the IC7, he'd convert..
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Dano » Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:31 am

How can you forget the lovable, and hillarios PC chips?
.38 posts a day, Beat That!
Dano
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby ils_fl » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:12 am

Tulatin wrote:That's good to know. Spread the word - we'll convert the motherboard world abit at a time.

ahh the Abit puns....just keep em coming. :lol:
________
Marijuana vaporizer
Last edited by ils_fl on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ils_fl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Black Wolf » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:15 pm

So.. an abit, an msi and a asus board walks in to a bar, and they see a blond xp2500 barton..... 8)
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby FatMikel » Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:06 pm

Nothing beats a K7N2-Delta in Features.... 4 addon brackets... SATA cables.. and lovely red PCB..
FatMikel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby YouGiveMeRash!!! » Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:10 am

I dont really have a favorite- I have 2 favorites.

I would have to go with ABIT and MSI. Even though my motherboard isnt all that, I love it's stability and easy overclocking options.

The abit boards have the BEST overclocking features i have ever seen! I have an old abit TH7 mobo in my other computer and it is also a very smooth motherboard- I have a socket 423 1.3ghz P4 OC'ed @ 1.65ghz and its been that way for a year now. No problems whatsoever.

Next up on my list is the ABIT IC7, im gonna buy that soon.
Main rig: 1/2" ID Water Cooled Lian-Li V2000B, Abit IP35 Pro, Intel C2D E6750@ -3.4ghz 1.3375v, Mushkin 2gb DDR2-800 996576, one terabyte storage, evga 7900GS KO w/ Zalman VF700-AlCu cooler, Swiftech Apogee GT water block, Ultra X2 550w PSU
Laptop: Asus Z70VA, Pentium M 725 1.6@ -2.13ghz (pinmod), ATI X700 Pro, 1680x1050 native res., bluetooth, the works...
YouGiveMeRash!!!
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Tolemac » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:41 am

First off, a few clarifications here. SuperMicro's forte is server boards. Their desktop mobo offerings are ok, but nothing special. Their server boards, however, are stellar.
ECS has yet to make a mobo that I would bother to notice, so I don't know why they are even listed. I can damn near say the same about AOpen. Their mobos are improving, but not very fast and not by much.

Both Gigabyte and MSI have made some good mobos and some not so good.

For a while there, Asus mobos just plain sucked. Their QC had gone right out the window, so for me they are suspect till I'm convinced they are back on track.

While there are many other mobo companies not mentioned as evasive pointed out (where's IWill and Soyo and Soltek to name a few??) of the ones remaining on the list, I'd have to give the nod to Abit, but followed very closely by EPoX. Every Abit mobo I've used has been dead easy to use, set-up and overclock. Basically, the same goes for EPoX. I've been able to get some mad overclocks with 3 different EPoX mobos and the stability was always there. The main reason I'm going with Abit in this poll is due to their superior feature sets. They really know how to load a mobo up. :wink:
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby miki02131 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:05 am

Whats up with you, mobo members? Are you all rebels or Am I missing something here? I went to the mobo rankings page and found that a mobo from Aopen has the highest mark. However, most of you are voting for Abit. Can somebody clarify me as to why such discrepancies between the mobo rankings system and its "supporters"(us)? What's happening here, is the ranking system misleading or what?

As you can guess my knowledge in the hardware area is somewhat slim. I would appreciate a sincere answer on this issue. How important should the ranking system be in the choice of the best mobo?
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Southwind25 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:30 pm

I think that user forums are a better measure of hardware than reviews, if you take into account the level of experience of the people posting. For example, you may see several posts from inexperinced users that haven't read the manual about setting up features, aren't using good quality hardware or setting up the drives and installing an OS. The recommendations of hardcore users or people actually in the business of building systems is a very good measure of a board though. Reviews have their place, they point out featues , ease of setup and give some reference to performance, but it's hard to get the full measure of a boards overall reliability, hardware compatibilty issues and quirks on a test bench for a few hours with top quality components.
Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby evasive » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:32 pm

Yep, let's see what happens to the ranking of that Aopen once it has been in the field for a few months.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War