AOL, Love it or Hate it

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Which do u love?

AOL
8%
anyother ISP
92%

Total votes : 39

Postby evasive » Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:33 pm

And a good piece too. It's nice to see someone talk at the other side of the line from your house to the internet. Thanks.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby steve6787 » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:00 am

Here is my AOL story....

When I moved out of my parents house, I didnt have internet access yet, so, I went to the store and got one of those 1045 hours free cds in the huge bin that plague a lot of stores! I thought well, I will use this until I get my internet service hooked up. Actually, I tried signing up for it and could not get it to take a username, kept saying it was already taken. Finally got it to take a username, but I was so frustrated at AOL that I used my fathers signon and password for his dial up (Which is called Dragon, they are a local Dial Up in our area). So, I had an account but never even used it. Removed it from our system, and my Wife calls to cancel the account, before our 30 days is up. They try telling us we have 4 accounts open and that each of them is somewhere in the neighborhood of $20-25 bucks. My wife ripped into them and pretty much told them where they could take those 4 accounts and stick them! They finally took them off our account, but how many times have they screwed people over on those cds, and people just pay it and then cancel the account. I mean there is only my wife and myself living in our house, and they said we had 4 accounts???

AOL you suck....No wonder Time Warner dropped AOL from their name!

Later....
Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2.8GHz
Dual Boot Win7x64/Bodhi
8 GB RAM
Radeon HD 3450
60GB Vertex 2 SSD (For OS's)/750GB for Data
steve6787
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby miki02131 » Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:30 pm

On the same line as Steve story, one of my brothers used to have aol. To ease the burden of sending a check every month for the connection fee, he provided them with his credit card. Believe it or not, AOL started sending him unsollicited products and charged his credit card without permission. After a few ripoffs, my brother cut them lose and went high speed.
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby ecclaed » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:18 pm

Whoever in AOL decided to make AIM for free; well, that just made their downfall if you ask me... Then the widespread of cable services. Well, bye bye AOL. Left in the dust.

Then they tried to make up for their losses with more advertising...

Wow, AOL has a bunch of geniuses, don't they?
ecclaed
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Quiksilver4871 » Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:14 am

i dont like aol at all to much fluff that u dont need.
Quiksilver4871
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Mr. Shadow » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:12 pm

COPPERSHIRT wrote:aol make great shinny beer mats

this is a great truth...

I wonder how much money aol spends on advertising, and producing those many silvery disks (frisbies)??
Mr. Shadow
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Tolemac » Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:08 am

You want to know how bad AOHell really is? Listen to this. My ex-wife used to work for AOL when we lived in Albuquerque doing tech support. This was back when AOL 3.0 was getting upgraded to 4.0

The higher ups, in their infinite wisdom, decided to not spend the necessary money in bug testing 4.0 and simply sent it out to the public. They told the tech support crew in a big meeting with Steve Case that they would let the public do the bug testing for them and that they (the techies) would then help the suckers, I mean "customers", out with whatever problems arose. For my ex, that lasted all of two days as support call volume increased 300%!!! 8O

She quit after that and rightly so. :evil:
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ils_fl » Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:53 am

shocking, really it is.

thats not very responsible - hmm kind of reminds me of another software development company.
ils_fl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:08 am

That "other" software company is at least smart enough to publish a few betas to a select group of people that can test the stuff before it's send out to the streets. True, not all bugs are caught, but most of the blatant ones are corrected...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tulatin » Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:27 pm

That i never noticed...
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War