AOL, Love it or Hate it

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Which do u love?

AOL
8%
anyother ISP
92%

Total votes : 39

Postby evasive » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:03 am

maybe the thin layer of grease on it was enough to keep it stable for the trip...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ils_fl » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:18 am

its funny how the thread goes from AOL to lythium explosions half the time i have to read the previos posts before answering as the titles just don't cut it anymore.
________
Half-baked
Last edited by ils_fl on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ils_fl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Black Wolf » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:59 pm

Just another average day of on motherboards.org....

Aol cd's flying, stop sign javilon, toliets exploding.
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby FatMikel » Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:16 pm

ydy
FatMikel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tulatin » Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:19 pm

ydy? What's the point of that post anyway, it's kinda like the one that mirrors mine... anyway, would this apply to lithium batteries, and if so, it's not good... as to a good chunk, imagine a full jar's effects... 8O
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Black Wolf » Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:45 pm

he's new, too new, I don't like the smell of thios one, could be a, dare not say it! a spammer......
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby undying fenix » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:39 pm

AOL is the spawn of SATAN!!!!! Any questions? I used to have AOL. Then I realized what a horrible mistake. Always getting disconnected, slow downloads.
Hold that thought.
undying fenix
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby FatMikel » Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:48 am

now.. I was just gettin high on Caffine......sort of.... and thats what came to my mind while I was reading this page...
FatMikel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Black Wolf » Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:57 am

Spontaneous post, just like when you go nto the store and whne youa re at the cash you see all the cheap chocalte bars and knick knacs cuttering the cash area so you buy one spontaneous!
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby woofers4 » Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:22 pm

I'm not especially fond of AOL either, but then I work for an ISP and we have to deal with all their crap when people wise up and switch to us. Automatic reinstallation of network components, hosed network stacks, hosed modem drivers, people who don't understand that there are web pages other than the one provided by your ISP after being on the internet for years... The list goes on.

Mostly though, its an issue of principle. AOL encourages stupidity. It's like the internet with training wheels. (really expensive training wheels) I've spoken to countless people who don't understand what a web page is or how to get to one after years of internet use, because AOL is designed to be all inclusive. You use their search engine, their instant messanger, their email, their internet shopping, their internet radio. It doesn't have to be better than whatever else is out there, because they don't want their customers to ever leave the AOL "compound" and see the outside internet world anyway. Did you know that AOL for broadband is the exact same internet service as the other Broadband service offered by parent company Time Warner? Exactly the same in all regards except with AOL for broadband you pay $10 extra per month for the right to use AOL's proprietary software!!! And some fools are paying it!!! All the stuff that is annoying about aol and people pay extra for it because they don't understand how internet works and AOL is preying on that.

Earthlink and Compuserve both do exactly the same crap as AOL, too. Their proprietary software is just not quite as all inclusive. MSN isn't quite as bad, but they usually try to lock customers in long term and then screw them on customer service because they can't cancel.

They fill your computer with spyware, too.

ok, I've said my peace.
woofers4
Green Belt
Green Belt

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War