building a PC

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

building a PC

Postby ils_fl » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:40 pm

i have desiceded to build a computer and i'm not really sure what is a good mother board to use if you want to overclock later on and that would be upgradable as well.

i've heard Gigabyte and Asus as two names that came up most freqently. my question is if anyone knows a good up to date mother board that would allow me to do the above mentioned.

as long as i am on the topic - i heard a few reviews about Intel and Athlon and from the sounds of it Athlon is better.

I have already visited overclocker.com and it was not much help :(

any suggestions are appreciated.
ils_fl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby beeboy » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:50 pm

Check out this thread. Great stuff on motherboards.
http://www.motherboards.org/forums/view ... hp?t=29976
beeboy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Aussie » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:57 am

i heard a few reviews about Intel and Athlon and from the sounds of it Athlon is better.

It's not quite as clear cut as that, at the very top end (3GHz and above) Intel has the faster processors but they come at a price premium that is greater than their performance advantage.

In fact high end processors from either Intel or AMD are poor value and you are better off buying in lower down the speed scale, in the 2.4 to 2.6GHz range

If you are looking to buy a processor in the middle of the range then the AthlonXP 2500+ is hard to beat at this point in time.

The principal thing to remember with AMD processors is that they run much hotter than Intel processors and consequently require greater attention to cooling and, in particular, proper case ventilation is required.

It is difficult to recommend a motherboard without knowing what your budget is and what your requirements are as far as the intended use of the machine goes.

The areas that you should not scrimp on are the motherboard, memory, powersupply and the case itself.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ils_fl » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:36 am

well i actually do a lot of graphics and drafting as well as 3d modeling - so i know that processor power and memory & video is important, i never really had to deal with cases so i don't know much about that. PSU i was going to get Enermax 450W and zalman 7000cu cooling for the CPU - any type of rendering increases the average temp. by 5-10C . i knew that athlons have on average 10 C higher temp. than P4.

A few quick questions :?:

Are dual processors worth their while?
(i have a dual Intel xeon 2.0Ghz with 1024 sdram / 64 NVIDIA Quadro 2 Pro at work and it doesn't seem to be faster than my P3 1.2GHz with 512 ddr ATI 7500 at home. )

should i wait until the new ATI graphics card comes out or settle for Gforce 5900 ultra ?

is the brand of RAM really important?

beeboy thanks for the link - tons of help. :)
________
SANTERIA ADVICE
Last edited by ils_fl on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ils_fl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tulatin » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:19 am

For that kind of hardcpre work, a Pentium 4 usually does better. Pair an Abit IC7 with a P4 3.0C, 1 gb of ddr400 (by corsiar) and your sub system is good. Now, for the cooling, if it generates that much heat when rendering (mine does that when folding+video rendering+windows activities), then you may want to look at the SLK900U or a entry level liquid solution.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby ils_fl » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:15 am

i am a little sceprical about liquid cooling somehow water and electrical components make me nerveous. SLK900V that thing is HUGE also a bit expencive - do you need a fan for that too?

edit: never mind , you do need a fan
________
ROLLING A JOINT
Last edited by ils_fl on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ils_fl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Aussie » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:16 am

Assuming that this is a "first time" build I wouldn't be suggesting even "entry level" watercooling Tulatin. :wink:

As far as dual processors go to take full advantage of them the OS and any applications used have to be SMP capable, in other words the software has to be written in such a way that it can utilise dual processors otherwise it is just a waste of time. Much the same thing applies to Intels hyperthreading.

Not being up to speed with bleeding edge video cards I won't comment on that question I'll leave it up to somebody with more knowledge in that area.

Yes the brand of RAM is REALLY IMPORTANT but compatability is also important. Even the best brands can have compatability problems with some boards. Look to the board manufacturer for recommendations in this area if possible.

i actually do a lot of graphics and drafting as well as 3d modeling

Can you tell us which software packages you use for this work?

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tulatin » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:18 am

WEll, the aquarius kit is REALLY easy to set up, and so long as you follow the instructions, you'll be fine.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby ils_fl » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:40 am

I admit this is my first build. :oops:

Can you tell us which software packages you use for this work?

i use Solid Works , autocad, Pro Engineer, Maya and 3dsMAX 8O .

espesially when rendering Maya or 3dsMAX the temp. goes up so i have to get it down to -10C of the average working temp plus if i will overclock i need more allowense. i looked at the water cooling - it seems a little pricy - is it actually worth the price. is there a cheap way to cool down.

some one mentioned something about the case - do i need a special case or can i just take a cheap ass one stick a few more fans into it and be fine?
________
Zx14 Vs Hayabusa
Last edited by ils_fl on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ils_fl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby GEFORCEFreek » Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:01 pm

I'm guessing that you are on www.cgtalk.com, but I'll mention it anyway...
GEFORCEFreek

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War