gigabyte motherboards

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Aussie » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:15 am

I suspect that supplier is dealing in "seconds" or at least sourcing his boards through "non-official" channels. A "grey market" dealer perhaps?

The ASRock boards have been pretty good so far, however one we cannot sell, is the 810, why no AGP slot

Most i810 boards lack an AGP slot and it makes them suitable only for an office workstation or an "e-machine" type user.

Socket 370 CPU's are virtually impossible to obtain now here in OZ anyway unless you want to brave eBay to get one.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:25 am

Socket 370 CPU's are virtually impossible to obtain now here in OZ anyway unless you want to brave eBay to get one.

They are rather like rocking horse manure over here too.... I wish i'd never sold my ASUS CUV 4X now, top board....

suspect that supplier is dealing in "seconds" or at least sourcing his boards through "non-official" channels. A "grey market" dealer perhaps?

Thats what we suspected..... They used to get a lot of 'value' RAM, plague avoidance techniques fall into operation here... Used other suppliers a lot more and got a lot better stock (one of the first to get an FX5900).... Far fewer returns...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:30 pm

Two dead boards were brought in by a friend today. Sure enough, one Soltek, one MSI... Unbelievable...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:22 pm

Mmmmmm :?
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:53 pm

As in will start fans, LEDS etc, no POST no matter what is in/out the board, tested with known good CPU/power supply/RAM.

I think both wil turn out to be classic examples of struck by lightning. Will have to ask though...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby beeboy » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:34 pm

This is a real informative thread. Its great to hear from people who are in the business. There is no substitute for experience.
Peanya made some good points about warranty and support. The gigabyte website used to be bad but I see where they have now updated it and it is better. I'm not going to ignore all this good info. When the boss lets me shop it will be the Abit or Epox board for sure.
beeboy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Ripshod » Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:44 pm

I am running a GA-7VAXP and I'm having no trouble. I've posted results on Overclockers anonymous. No link but; "I'm finally posting my results"!
CALL &BD19 (If you need to ask you don't need to know)
Ripshod
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Ripshod » Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:50 pm

Yeah, I've just been reminded, if you opt for the KT400 family, download the latest 'Hyperion' drivers from the Gigabyte website.
Ripshod
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby beeboy » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:16 pm

Good to know Ripshod. Thanks for the info.
beeboy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tulatin » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:28 pm

Gotta throw in my two cents here:

first, what's wrong with Acorp boards? The 845 one i had worked wonderfully without problems, aside from the install cd which would be complimented if it were called crap.

as to abits being finicky, my BH7 (and i'm sure many people's other boards) worked great right from the start, and run ridiculousally well over time.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War