gigabyte motherboards

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Black Wolf » Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:18 pm

Mr T wrote:In my practical experience these are companies whose boards I would use (this changes, 'cos their quality does go up and down)....

Abit
ASUS (A7N8X)
Gigabyte (P4 only)
Epox
PC Chips
ECS
Jetway
ASrock
SuperMicro (server boards)

These companies I have tried and tested and over the past few months have been problem free... The A7N8X is the only board I will use from ASUS at the moment...

Companies I would not use(at the moment), due to shoddy boards, compatability issues, bad websitse and poor tech support....

ASUS (all other P4 and AMD boards apart from A7N8X)...
MSI, MSI and MSI
Soltek
SOYO
Lucky-Star (gone bust, unsurprisingly)
Gigabyte (nForce boards)
ACorp
AOpen

I have used many types, makes and brands of boards in builds... I have noticed that companies quality improves or goes down through various products they produce... ASUS are a classic example, good PIII boards, but shoddy AMD boards and now shoddy P4 boards, poor website and non-existant tech support..... I have had nothing but grief with MSI boards and yes, I am using two 649-D MasterS twin PIII server boards... Won't take an ATI card and very finicky on RAM...

However, I do test varying stock, and I'll never say I won't use a board, I won't recommend certain brands, until they give me the confidence to sell them, knowing they won't be returned....

The only boards I have ever used are the MSI's, i found them to be very stable and have never had an issue with them. Could you tell me a couple that you have noticed are "not up tp par". and why?

Thanks.
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Peanya » Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:51 pm

I'd imagine the problems with MSI have been recent. They've had a good reputation for some time. Things change like MrT said. They might have switched to cheaper caps, lazy about getting the right BIOS changes needed, cheaper power supplies, etc... I've never used MSI so I don't comment on them.
What's worse, brands like DFI and Chaintech started making their products look damn good (hell I fell for the Chaintech gimmick even!) and charging high prices implying quality while they're still rubbish. I'd bet MSI will step up the quality soon. They're too big of a company to mess things up (I hope!)
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Mr T » Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:53 am

My first P4 board was an MSI 645.... Had 3 before getting one that worked, when it worked it was Ok, but it would't accept any ATI cards, RAM had to be Crucial or Samsung and I need a RAID PCI card to work in it.... No chance...

Running 2 Twin PIII MSI 649D Master S boards - again no ATI card accepted, only RAM I have got working in it has been Hynix and Crucila ECC, even SAMSUNG didn't work well here....

KT series - called them 'boomerang boards' - like the Iwill KA266R, 'cos they always returned again RAM problems, video problems....

865/875 series, tested these against Abit and Gigabyte boards with same chipset (I may dislike MSI, but I do still try them), again a caphocany of dead boards, poor performance, ATI card problems and now USB 2 issues...

A lot of dead boards I see, come in branded systems like tiny, cheap and nasty..... :cry:

Yep, MSI produce a lot of boards, and unfortunately they don't work for me...... Thats why I cannot recommend them, but I will keep trying them out.....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Copper » Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:00 am

there are 4 types of motherboards that i like they Abit , Epox ,Jetway and MSI i have never had any problems with them and they have be reliable

i wont use chaintec boards i have spent more on shipping returning these boards than accual cost of boards.
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Aussie » Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:26 am

Everybodies experience will differ I guess especially if the opinion formed is based on a small amount of the product in question.

Every manufacturer is capable of making a bad board whether it be just one example in a bunch (usually the one you buy) or a model that just wasn't up to par with their usual standard.

Those of us that handle a larger number of boards probably get a better feel for things than those that buy one board every year or so but even then we don't get to experience all brands and all models under all circumstances so even our experiences are limited to a degree.

Usually once you've had the experience of getting a bad board from a given manufacturer you are not likely to go back for seconds as it where so you tend to base your opinion of that manufacturer on that one board which is not necessarily representitive of their product overall.

I have used reasonable numbers of boards from the following manufacturers:-

Abit, Epox, MSI, Gigabyte, DFI, Asus & Soltek.

I have also used a smaller number of boards from PcChips.

This is how I would rate them based on my experience:-

1. Epox.
2. Abit.
3. Asus.
4. DFI.
5. MSI.
6. Gigabyte.
7. Soltek.
8. PcChips.

I no longer buy boards from the last four on the list based on my experiences however I did recently buy in a Soltel SL-75MRN-L for a customer that wanted an upgrade and my experiences with this board have now sworn me off Soltek for good, I'd rather buy PcChips. :twisted:

Mr T, if you want to experience a really solid Asus board that is excellent value try an A7N266-VM, I've used a dozen or so and every one has been a dream to work with, if every board was like this my life would be so much easier.

Epox is another manufacturer that seems to consistently provide a product that just works straight out of the box with no problems at all.

Abit are also very good but, being designed for "tweakers", they can be a little finicky to set up.

DFI make solid "no frills" boards that are well priced but suited more for the "joe sixpack" type of user. I note that DFI is changing their product a little and aiming more at the "enthusiast" especially with their LanParty series which I have yet to try.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:00 pm

Mr T, if you want to experience a really solid Asus board that is excellent value try an A7N266-VM, I've used a dozen or so and every one has been a dream to work with, if every board was like this my life would be so much easier

Unfortunately (fortunately maybe), went to supplier and on they're RMA shelf about 20 of these boards..... That put me off a bit... :cry:
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Aussie » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:43 am

on they're RMA shelf about 20 of these boards

20 RMA's out of how many sold though? The fact that they had 20 RMA's on the shelf is not sufficient evidence to base an opinion on without knowing how many of the things they had sold.

20 out of 500 is 4%, 20 out of 1000 is 2% both of which would be acceptable return rates. If it was 20 out of 100 that would be a different matter of course.

As I said I've never had a single problem with them, every one has been 100% perfect.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:03 am

They bought in 50 to try out.... May have been a bad batch, but still off putting... Tempted us with ASrock boards, which are not bad, so far.... :?
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Aussie » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:30 am

I find a 20 out of 50 failure rate extremely difficult if not impossible to believe I'm afraid and I highly suspect that you are being led astray here.

I would take that information with a large grain of salt indeed.

Aussie
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:04 am

I generally do, but keeping in with business (I do a lot of PC fairs) tend to find out what is good and what is bad from there, and very similar thing with all ASUS boards - keep away, too problematic.... The supplier I mentioned, I did in fact help off load the order at the time, and 50 boards did come in... However , going on they're track record, some of their earlier Gigabyte boards had dampness damage... How do yo get that in a sealed bag... 8O And a lot of the stuff, esp CPU and RAM was returned to us faulty...

However I do like the A7N8X boards (bios flash to 1004, reolves a multitude of sins), but they certainley don't perform as well as expected...

But , it's a case of keep on trying.... The ASRock boards have been pretty good so far, however one we cannot sell, is the 810, why no AGP slot... The others go pretty quick...

Going back too failure rates though, the A7V333 was the turning poin with ASUs, it let us down big time... Again same supplier, 10 boards, 6 RMA'd and I always saw that board on the RMA shelf as well - duff power regulator in a whole batch... Even had customers telling us the same and looking for a specific batch (it was 'top-dog' then)....

Needless to say that supplier isn't used very often - generally emergencies only....
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War