gigabyte motherboards

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

gigabyte motherboards

Postby beeboy » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:00 pm

I am curious. Although gigabyte is listed as #1 for the best board in the amd and intel rankings, it does not seem popular in the forum. Why is this? I recently read a review on the new nforce 7nnxp and the reviewer seemed to think it was awesome and compared it against the epox 8rda. I have an almost 3 year old gigabyte ga7zm and have found it very reliable.
beeboy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Black Wolf » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:07 pm

I personally have never used a gigabyte board, but i have had friends who have used on thier AMD systems and has blown, and have just heard other unreilable things about them, MSI has alwasy been a strong board for me, i have always used them and have never had a problem with them.
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Peanya » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:20 pm

If a motherboard reviews well, it doesn't mean it's the best there is. If a product is unreliable, system builders/designers won't want to use it.
In defense of Gigabyte, they have improved their quality as of lately. I'm still not a big fan of them as I'd like to see them up their support more. Also the rankings chart is meant as a general guide and not the end-all of recommendations. There are many boards that have not been reviewed sadly, like the NF7 from Abit, and many other popular boards.
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Black Wolf » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:23 pm

yeah thats true, the abit NF7 is a nice board which is also not on the review, it really depends on each persiosn experince with certain mobos for wht they belelve to eb the best mobo.
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby beeboy » Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:13 pm

Thanks for the replies. Good stuff to know when I go shopping. My preferred list of boards is getting shorter. Its down to the Abit or the Epox now. And maybe a Soltek or Msi.
beeboy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Peanya » Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:18 pm

Go to the website of each and look into support if there is a problem. Compare the warranties. Also check the BIOS updates for the boards... Do they seem frequent enough showing that the company wants to make the product better, or are they few and far between? Do they also have things like chipset drivers downloadable?
Look at the manuals which will be available to download, is it understandable?
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Mr T » Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:09 am

In my practical experience these are companies whose boards I would use (this changes, 'cos their quality does go up and down)....

Abit
ASUS (A7N8X)
Gigabyte (P4 only)
Epox
PC Chips
ECS
Jetway
ASrock
SuperMicro (server boards)

These companies I have tried and tested and over the past few months have been problem free... The A7N8X is the only board I will use from ASUS at the moment...

Companies I would not use(at the moment), due to shoddy boards, compatability issues, bad websitse and poor tech support....

ASUS (all other P4 and AMD boards apart from A7N8X)...
MSI, MSI and MSI
Soltek
SOYO
Lucky-Star (gone bust, unsurprisingly)
Gigabyte (nForce boards)
ACorp
AOpen

I have used many types, makes and brands of boards in builds... I have noticed that companies quality improves or goes down through various products they produce... ASUS are a classic example, good PIII boards, but shoddy AMD boards and now shoddy P4 boards, poor website and non-existant tech support..... I have had nothing but grief with MSI boards and yes, I am using two 649-D MasterS twin PIII server boards... Won't take an ATI card and very finicky on RAM...

However, I do test varying stock, and I'll never say I won't use a board, I won't recommend certain brands, until they give me the confidence to sell them, knowing they won't be returned....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:13 am

Missing Intel there in both lists. What's your opinion on them?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:28 am

On lists like these you will always miss a few.... I have used a few intel boards, they are solid workhorse boards and do the job, but tend to lack features for the price charged.... I do like them though.... The 810CA was a classic, solid desktop board, only thing was no AGP.... :cry:
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby beeboy » Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:15 pm

Wow. Thanks Mr. T. That is great info. Beeboy edits his list again ...
beeboy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War