I hate Aopen CDrom players

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Black Wolf » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:32 pm

COPPERSHIRT wrote:on the system im using my dvd rom and cd burner are LG and ive never had any problems.

I go a cheap 12x dvd rom abotu 2-3 years ago, Hj and I have both used it, and ti is a piece of crap, for me it will play DVD's for Hj it would not do anything.

I forget what teh name brand was though
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby evasive » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:08 pm

most likely Samsung. They are cr*p.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Black Wolf » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:09 pm

I forget I will ahve to ask HJ he knows, or wait till i get home and take a look.
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby joshvee » Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:33 pm

evasive wrote:most likely Samsung. They are cr*p.

:( I have one of the latest Samsung 323b....I dont have any problems with it....Now I want to change it :cry:
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Black Wolf » Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:43 pm

Well what ever the one I have will play DVD's fine in my system, but it will not read anything else, not normal or burnt cd's, just gives up adn shoots it back out at you.
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby evasive » Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:05 pm

Sounds like the Samsung ones I encountered allright, same symptoms.

joshvee: you have a different model so you might be lucky. Maybe they got their act together. Just keep an eye on it.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Black Wolf » Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:32 pm

Yeah I will get my info off it tonigth evasive and we can see whcih one it is.
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Aussie » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:15 am

It's interesting how people's experiences differ. I have used Samsung CDroms, CDRW & DVD drives almost exclusively in the last 12 to 18 months, I'm not talking about a few drives either I'm talking well over a hundred.

I have not had a single drive failure.

In the same period I have also used quite a few Sony CDrom, CDRW & DVD drives. I have had one Sony DVD drive and one Sony CDrom drive fail in that same 12 to 18 month period.

Prior to switching to Samsung and Sony I used Acer drives, Acer also make Aopen by the way, I used their drives for a little over 12 months before giving up in disgust at their failure rate. I had quite a few fail within the 12 month warranty period and those that didn't failed shortly after the warranty expired. Out of the many dozens I sold I can count those drives still functioning on my fingers.

On friday I had a job fitting a replacement CDRW drive on site at an engineering works, an Aopen drive, when I removed it the manufacturing date was June 2002. The drive couldn't even read a disk let alone burn one.

As far as DVD drives go I've had a very good run out of Pioneer drives in my own personal machines.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby joshvee » Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:50 am

yes I do like my samsungs....I put the 352b (if they want one that plays DVDs) and the 252b (if they don't want DVD ) into my machines for DVD burners I have now changed over from the pioneers and the Sony's to LGE simply because as of today they are the only DVD burner that supports all 5 DVD formats....haven't been using them long enough to give a reliability report but will keep u posted.

2 things I'd like to see more of on the market are high quality CD scratch repair kits and ones that actually work for a change not that cream scratch filling crap...the cream scratch removal one that grinds down the CD surface till the scratch is gone seems to work a bit better but hey how many times can u grind down ur CDs....I'd like to see a machine that does it. EG insert disk, apply cream and press button. :) it would kinda look like a portable CD player and run off mains or batteries.

The other thing I'd like to see more of is GOOD high quality CD ROM/player and DVD ROM/player cleaning kits. I know there are plenty out there but none seem to work perfectly with all formats....are there any reviews on stuff like this? or a quality/effectiveness rating?
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Black Wolf » Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:25 pm

Ok the DVD player that I have that I an HJ have had bad luck with is actually a "Media Tek" DVD drive. the "MT1316B Bdv212B"

So stay away form Media Tek, damn OEM stores.
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War