What type of software are AMDs not compatible with??

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

What type of software are AMDs not compatible with??

Postby Lul2x » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:08 am

I have been debating on Intel or AMD and have been reading many debate topics. I have heard that AMDs are supported by less software and some software often crashes. My question is, what type of software is this referring to? Is it everyday software such as spreadsheets, messengers, browsers, etc etc or high end developmental software like AutoCad? Also, there are not any pieces of hardware that would work with an Intel that wouldn't work with an AMD or vice versa are there? Thank you.
Lul2x
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby evasive » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:41 am

I think Netware will have a hard time running on an AMD, but other than that I can't think of any software.

You may have noticed the AMD and Intel CPUs come in different sockets (socket 478 vs Socket A). Make note of that when buying a motherboard. Other than that, no hardware known.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Lul2x » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:53 am

Thanks. I don't intend to use NetWare anyways... Linux and Windows (games) are sufficient for me. :) Yup, I'm aware of the sockets. Thanks again!
Lul2x
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby joshvee » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:57 pm

Some games have trouble running on AMD just check the games before you buy them
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Aussie » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:12 pm

Some games have trouble running on AMD just check the games before you buy them

Maybe you could enlighten fellow forum members by naming those games joshvee?

I have heard that AMDs are supported by less software and some software often crashes

System crashes can occur on either platform and are more likely to be related to the quality of other hardware used in the system or the quality of the drivers for the hardware used in the system rather than any CPU/software "incompatability" problems.

With Intel having the larger market share more software is written to take advantage of Intel CPU's and the particular "optimisations" Intel uses in their processors such as SSE instructions. Intel "leverages" it's market might by only licensing these instructions to competing CPU companies after it has already developed and released a newer version of them and software has been released to take advantage of that newer version. Only then will Intel license the older version to its competitors.

Thus it is usually a couple of years before competitors can take advantage of these instruction sets which helps gives Intel an advantage in the market for that period. All is fair in love, war & business I guess.

You can build a stable system using a CPU from either manufacturer these days, the days of the "teething problems" experienced during the development of the super socket 7 boards are long gone and the AMD platform is now very stable and "compatable".

Intel is a long established, very experienced and formidable manufacturer in the CPU and chipset/motherboard field however and they certainly do know how to build a very high quality, stable and "compatable" CPU/motherboard combination. They've been in the game long enough, had enough market control and the budget to do so but they also make the occassional mistake, i820, Rambus, PIII 1.13GHz for example so they are not perfect.

If you require ultimate stabilty and "compatability" in a mission critical situation a reasonable argument can still be made for going with an "all Intel" system (board & CPU) however that argument is fast losing its merits today. The average home user has less need for "mission critical" type stabilty obviously as otherwise there would be no market outside of the "all Intel" solution.

To sum up, as long as you use quality components throughout you can build a very stable and compatable system using a CPU from either Intel or AMD and, conversly, if you use crap components your system will be unstable and "incompatable" regardless of your CPU choice.

At the bleeding edge an Intel system is currently marginally faster than the best from AMD so it's up to you to decide whether you will pay the often substantial margin Intel demands for their product just to stay that one small jump ahead but stability and "compatability" are much closer between the two platforms, given equal quality supporting components, than even the current small performance difference.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:18 pm

The average home user has less need for "mission critical" type stabilty obviously as otherwise there would be no market outside of the "all Intel" solution.

I think an "all Intel" solution is slighty out of budget for some people. You have to take cost into account and certainly with the current economic situation...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Black Wolf » Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:21 pm

evasive wrote:
The average home user has less need for "mission critical" type stabilty obviously as otherwise there would be no market outside of the "all Intel" solution.

I think an "all Intel" solution is slighty out of budget for some people. You have to take cost into account and certainly with the current economic situation...

Thast true, unless you get the a P4 mobo on sale or somthing going the intel can be cost a lot more than taking the ever dependable cheaper solution of AMD.
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:08 pm

I don't know - I can pick up a P4 mobo for 100 bucks CAN and a Celeron for dirt cheap aswell...
It all depends on where you look - but overall, AMD tends to be less expensive.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Peanya » Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:29 pm

Oh I remember when AMD first introduced the XP processsor, and Windows XP came out. The first chipset for it was an AMD. Shortly after that, VIA came out with their KT266A chipset. I built my system with the brand new XP1900 and an Abit Kr7a-R and did a full install of the brand new Windows XP. Wow talk about problems!! Crashes all the time, instability, sluggish performance... BUT WAIT!! It turns out that 2 things about Windows; DirectX8 and the driver for the CPU were bad. After they patched it, the system was rock solid stable! Since then, I've given that system to my mother, where it runs circles around her old P3 450 with an intel chipset.
Today, the biggest stability problems I see is due to memory, and this has nothing to do with Intel or AMD. My system is rock solid stable, unless I overclock it. Basically since WinXP SP1, I see them on a level playing field.
Peanya
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Aussie » Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:45 pm

Well I guess prices would vary from country to country but take a look at these Aussie prices for example:-

http://www.gamedude.com.au/cpuG.html

What's Intel got there that can match the Barton 2500+ for price/performance? The Celeron 2.2GHz? Cheaper but not as powerful.

The P4 2.4 (800MHz)? That would probably match the performance but at nearly twice the price.

Look at motherboards:-

http://www.gamedude.com.au/mbsG.html

$135 to $150 gets you a pretty damn good AMD board (A7N8X-X, 8RDA+ both with very good on-board sound & LAN).

What can you buy for socket 478 with at least 533MHz bus for similar money? The Gigabyte GA-8PE800? The Albatron PX845PEVPro-800? Both i845 boards and hardly bleeding edge. $169 for the cheapest i865 board?

I think I'd rather the 8RDA+/Barton 2500+ and put the $100 saved (over the P4) towards an extra 256Mb of RAM.

http://www.gamedude.com.au/mem.html

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War