Apple G5

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Apple G5

Postby son0rous » Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:45 am

Has anyone seen the specs on the new apple G5, in some benchmarks it went twice as fast at the 3ghz P4 and far out performs the dual 3.06 xeon setups. I've never used macs so i dont know much about them but does anybody know how it is possible to go that fast and who manufactured the processors for this thing???
check out www.apple.com/G5 for the specs.
son0rous
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby slamEVIL » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:46 am

i wouldn't trust those numbers. i've never even heard of that benchmark test they were using-spec??? i know that in the past, macs couldn't be tested alongside pcs because of their different architectures. pcs have always dominated the few test that can be run on them both though, such as ut. also, lets just say that these numbers are true, their puting the g5 up against 32bit pentiums. what about the 64bits? what about the prescott? what about the clawhammer? apple knows they're going down and this is just a lame advertising scheme-like the imac to get you into their stores.

what sucks is, i'm stuck in an industry where everyone thinks macs are better now just because they were like ten years ago when they were using like photoshop 3. and there was no directx. so ever since then, everybody's been on this "ohh, macs are faster" kick. now it looks like apple is up to their old tricks again.

on a side note, even if they were faster, i still wouldnt use them because they are so frustratingly non-user friendly!
Support your local evil empire.
slamEVIL
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Mr8472 » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:41 am

I agree. Only good Mac is a dead Mac, my old school had all iMacs and they would freeze on the most simple operations, and continuously might I add. Even if it was faster, which I doubt, I still wouldn't buy one, no good games are getting ported to Mac lately and I doubt they will start.
Mr8472
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Plekto » Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:17 am

Well.. The tests aren't that clear. All of the windows compatable tests that run on Macs are windows-optimized, so it's basically worthless.

Kind of like comparing all the various direct-X modes in the test programs - one is optimized for ATI and the next is for NVidia and...

One good thing about Macs, though, is the unix based OS. Just slick how many Linux assps are a cinch to port over. Windows is what - several versions behind on this?

Humm - perhaps that's a good test - run Linux on both of them(yes, you CAN set up a mac to boot Linux, btw) and see which is faster. Probably not much difference, so buy whatever strikes your fancy I guess...
Plekto
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Cortez The Killer » Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:03 am

Beyond all that,the G5 looks like a turd.Those junks will never take off
because of the idiot who owns Apple.Apple does not allow for competition
in aftermarket parts.The PC took off because Intel was smart enough to
allow other companies to compete using their platform.Apple wants to
control the whole show and that's why they're going belly up.You have to
go through them if you need a new board or CPU.No competition among
manufacturers means high prices and very little selection...In short you
have a greedy,arrogant owner who has effectively stunted the growth of
his own creation...Stupid.
Cat:The other white meat.
Cortez The Killer
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Plekto » Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:37 pm

Well, despite the claims of Apple's impending demise and all of that...

In 6 months, the Macintosh line will be *twenty* years old. Yes - twenty years of "dead next year".

The processors are good. The technology is stable, and it's really no different than a Gateway or Compaq/HP or simmilar machine.
Can you add USB devices?
Can you put in fancy video and sound cards?
Can you put all sorts of IDE type drives and devices in the drive bays?

Expandability is the same as on any of the name-brand PCs, so that's a moot point.

Last I checked, HP/Compaq was just as tight about sharing its designs and products - you buy their version of a PC and that's it. Often, they have NO expandability.

Competition in the marketplace? They are still going strong. Watch them last another ten years or more. They own the desktop publishing and graphics market. Games? No. High-end business apps? Yes. They have a solid following that will be there for at least another decade - especially since they run FAST and are a lot less expensive than a typical SGI or simmilar workstation. The 8 gig memory limit *now* - not vaporware or promises pretty much ensires their lock on that segment. So - no, they won't die anytime soon.

Lastly, price - have you checked the prices lately? That 1GHz(comparable to a 2ghz or so Intel) EMac at $1299 is a nice unit. A bit more expensive, but not a lot more than Compaq and others charge. That DVD burner drive in it is nice as well - a $350 unit right there. The top-end G5s at $2000-$3000 are pricey, I'll grant you, but I know peope who spend $2000 or more on comparable Pentium systems.

One footnote - first 64 bit computer? Ummm... Not quite. You could buy an Alpha processor and smoke even the G5 several years ago. Fast enough that under emulation, windows runs faster than the best Intel CPUs. I thik both are in for a shock when they get near the workstation leagues and get crushed.
Plekto
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby slamEVIL » Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:43 am

you brought up another mac flaw plekto--the prices! the cheapest power mac g5 is $1,999! and you're gonna need a display with that so add on another $699.

their hold on the desktop publishing and graphics market is slipping-fast. my current and last two jobs (graphic design) used nothing but pcs. the game art market, which is growingfaster than you can think, uses macs for foot rests. the only thing macs are good for are 8 year old kids and their grandparents.
Support your local evil empire.
slamEVIL
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Plekto » Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:40 pm

The least expensive Mac is $799, actually, and you can use any digital monitor with the bigger models. That $1999 G5 is comparable to a 3.6 hgz P4, btw - so that has to be given at least some consideration. It also comes with a $400 dvd burner combo drive.
Plekto
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby barmouth » Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:13 pm

A one button mouse say it all for me...
barmouth
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Plekto » Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:15 pm

YOu do know that you can use multiple button mice with the newer USB Macs, don't you?

My friend - he uses one of those 6 button Kensington trackballs. So that's kind of a moot point, now, too. Oh - they use IDE devices as well. Really, it's the same thing as a Unix box now, but with a different OS/shell.

Me - I went PC for price. No other reason. All my games I want to play were avaialbe under UNIX and/or Mac anyways - it's not like I care about playing Mechwarrior 3 or Diablo or older games on a modern box.
Plekto
Green Belt
Green Belt

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War