Has anyone noticed this trend????

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby BadLilMonkee » Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:45 pm

This line is like "keepin' up with the Jones".....

A person goes out and buys a Dell/Gateway/HP-Compaq for say $1000 cash. They do this for a couple of reasons. A) they are not computer literate enough to build their own computer, B) They love the idea of a restore disk to fix most problems and if not fixed, just love the idea of putting the thing back in a box and sending it in... C) The setup/build time is minimal. Granted these are some good reasons to buy a computer. Not everyone is out there to get great 3D Marks and such and some are happy with the system they bought. To them it is easier to buy a newer system than to even upgrade. To those who are braggin about a killer system made by the "Big 3 of Computing", they will stick to the story that they are in possession of the most bad@ssed computer till they die because no one likes to know or be proven a fool. Not one of those persons will thank you for telling them that for under a $1000 you could have built a smokin' gun system. It is kinda like cars. I can go out and spend $50K on a mercedes and have a very comfy ride, or I can go out and spend $20K on a car and spend another $10k on hoppin it up and smoke the mercedes in place and have about the same ride for $20K cheaper. They will always throw up the brand name at you and you will NEVER convince them the error of their ways.....Just smile and drive on and laugh at their remarks....It's a lot more fun than getting worked up over nothin........ :wink: Will :wink:
AMD 2000XP OC'd to 2174 Mhz w/Volcano 7+
GigaByte GA-7VAXP Ver 1.1
512 mb XMS
80Gb WD HD X2
LG Combo Drive
Sony 48x12x48 CDRW
Gainward GEFORCE FX 5900 256MB DDR Ultra
Antec SOHO 1030 Case w/6 fans
Windows XP Pro OS
BadLilMonkee
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby beeboy » Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:17 pm

jtcartboy, I may build my next one if the price is right. Thats why I'm sticking around here, finding out what is best. I may still buy the tower assembled. Some companies put together a nice package cheap with a better warranty on the hardware if they assemble and test first. I'm a patient shopper :lol:
beeboy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby jtcartboy » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:35 pm

that's cool, I have no issues with your type. For you aren't bragging and are here to learn which I respect very much it is just the poeple that don't take time to learn and think before acquiring any knowledge of what they are arguing about, anyone catch my drift. Don't brag if you don't know crap.
Athlon XP 2500+ OCd to 2.25 GHz w/360fsb
Asus A7N8X-Deluxe Mobo
1GB Corsair XMS 2x512
Ati Radeon 9600pro OCd to 509 Core 317 Mem

Berkeley isn't really america it should be anexed!!
jtcartboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby beeboy » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:43 pm

You are absolutely right jtcartboy. I tend to be very opinionated at times too without enough backup but I'm working on that.
beeboy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby sdfUK » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:38 am

HEY, I'm a Dell User and have been for a few years...........but I don't think I'm going to buy one again. I've just looked into upgrading it with a new motherboard and bloody well can't! Its proprietary or whatever. It really pi**** me off. So, the next PC I get will probably be built by myself with the help of useful chaps like yourselves.

I didn't realise that Dell users looked down on other non-Dell owners - I certainly didn't. Just buy / build what you can afford and suits your purposes!!!!

Cheers to all
sdfUK
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby GEFORCEFreek » Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:42 pm

jtcartboy wrote:I have used all the newer computers for the most part and I can't tell the difference between any of them, heck at my work we sell a MEDION and a SYSTEMAX system and those aren't half bad.

Very true.. my dads Medion is still running strong...and he got it over 2 years ago... still gives my own PC a run for its money...
GEFORCEFreek

Postby jeff kushner » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:26 am

I've been building machines since the days of 8088's and when I took my present job..(I'm a construction guy) I received a Dell desktop and a Dell laptop.

I opened the desktop to put a robotics modem for sending out my bid list and was rather shocked to find a RISER CARD!! Gee, you'd have thought that for the money they charged my firm for this machine, it would have decent components but it doesn't. A single expansion slot filled by a riser card. You can't get much cheaper then that. On-board video and on-board sound doesn't even compare with a true componet setup...and the riser card...whew!

I had to un-install XP from the laptop because it wouldn't work correctly with my estimating program...and Dell makes it very difficult to get rid of XP. A normal user never would have figured it out I'm afraid. I now have win2kpro running on it and haven't had a single problem. I'm glad that I have a real computer at home!!!

Jeff
Asus P5N32sli SE Deluxe
Conroe 6600
2 sticks of 1-gig Crucial memory
1- WD320gig IDE drive(for OS)
1-WD400 SATA drive
CDRW, Cd-52speed
NEC DVD/RW
650w PS
Audigy 2 ZS
2- GS7600, 1 w/256mb, 1 w/512mb
Klipsch speakers