Has anyone noticed this trend????

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Has anyone noticed this trend????

Postby jtcartboy » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:27 am

All of us who have computer knowledge absolutely despise dell. a few years ago I thought dell was great, they looked cool and had the lovely sticker INTEL INSIDE.

I then became educated with computers and now know better. But why is it like this those of us who as I said are "good" with computers don't like dell.

Is it the dumb commercials??? The people's attitude that get a dell??(they look down upon us who use Athlons or those who don't have a dell). For the average person they feel they are like God when they have a Dell. Like at my work a person will say. Oh yeah
"well I got a dell 2.4Ghz PENTIUM 4 with 256 ram and it is DDR. I also have a 32mb intel extreme video card and a 80GB HDD."

Then they procede to ask me what I have and then they say something along the lines of.

"Athlon HAHAHA don't you know that pentiums are better."

These dell users think they are the master of the computer because they "got what they wanted" well they really didn't because no Ram choice HDD choice, true vid card choice, mobo choice. You know what I mean.

But To end it when I hear dude your getting a dell I cringe and just thing sweet you get a Foxconn Mobo. Because they did just switch.
Athlon XP 2500+ OCd to 2.25 GHz w/360fsb
Asus A7N8X-Deluxe Mobo
1GB Corsair XMS 2x512
Ati Radeon 9600pro OCd to 509 Core 317 Mem

Berkeley isn't really america it should be anexed!!
jtcartboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Tolemac » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:33 am

My main problem with Dells is the proprietary setup, and the not so great components. For the average Joe Schmoe, they do what they are supposed to do (mostly) but to enthusiasts, they are a frelling nightmare. :roll:
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby miki02131 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:21 am

A fair comparaison should not be between dell users and the more knowledgeable enthusiasts but between dell and its real competitors. By that I mean between a dell and the like of HP, Gateway, Compaq, etc... In this regard alone, isn't it true that Dell beat its main competitors?

Obviously the heavy users, the enthusiasts, the gamers have machine that could trash a dell at any time and anywhere but I don't think it's a fair comparaison. Dell was not intended for heavy users. Dell was intended for the general public and as such should only be compared to its real competitors.

If you compare Dell to its true competitors(HP, Compaq, gateway and a few more), you automatically get a winner.
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby lshawelu » Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:32 am

A fair comparaison should not be between dell users and the more knowledgeable enthusiasts but between dell and its real competitors.

The gist of the post was about how dell users think they have the greatest machines in the world, not that PC's built by us are better than Dell's. (Although they are) I agree with both Tolemac and JT. Dell is perfect for business apps, surfing, email, general computer stuff. What bothers me is that some Dell users (Or insert any propietary company here) think they know all about computers when in fact they had someone else build it for them. I'll tell you what really gets under my skin. People who have never built a computer that brag about their "3d mark score" or other benchmarking scores. Way to take credit for something you had nothing to do with.
Pentium 4 3.0c
Abit IC7-Max3
Corsair XMS Series 512mb PC 3200
80/160 GB Maxtor HD
ATI Radeon 9800 pro
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Windows XP Pro

"I like to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and right now I'm all out of gum"
lshawelu
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby miki02131 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:03 pm

Whether they buld the system or not, Dell users can brag about their machine being better than their HP, Compaq, or Gateway competitors. The truth is that Dell is better than the competition. That's the truth and that set. Dell beats HP, Compaq, and Gateway.
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby spb251272 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:20 pm

What I find amusing is that the people who own a dell or other brand think that the company "made" their PC, whereas we all know that all they do is put different company's components into a nice shiny Dell case.

These branded pc companies always try to pull the wool over the consumer's eyes, assuming (probably correctly) that they know nothing about pcs. I've seen adverts for pc's that have a "256mb Video Card" - wow so it's a 256mb fx5600, which they are then charging a huge premium for. They try to pick out the things that they think people will see and go "that's got a lot of memory" even though they don't know what it will do for them.

I think that you will all probably agree that when you can build your own pc, you would never buy a branded pc, and probably cringe when someone you know says "I've just spent £1500 on a pc from Dell".

I wonder how many of us started life by paying too much for a crappy braned system! I know I did - about 5 years ago I paid £1100 for a branded pc which was crap!! :D

MountainMods U2-UFO / Asus A8N SLI Premium
X2 3800+@2.5Ghz / XP90c / 2GB OCZ Gold GE XTC
2 x XFX 7900GT SLI / VF900-CU / 2 x 200GB WD
Tagan EasyCon 530W / Audigy 2 ZS / Logitech G7
spb251272
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby lshawelu » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:39 pm

Whether they buld the system or not, Dell users can brag about their machine being better than their HP, Compaq, or Gateway competitors. The truth is that Dell is better than the competition. That's the truth and that set. Dell beats HP, Compaq, and Gateway.

Right,
I never said that Dell users couldn't brag to other proprietary PC users that theirs is the best. I agree, out of the four (Gateway, Hp compaq and dell) Dell is probablly the best. If you read what I posted (and what JTcartboy posted) you could see that I was referring to dell users bragging to people that built their own PC's that theirs is better.
Pentium 4 3.0c
Abit IC7-Max3
80/160 GB Maxtor HD
ATI Radeon 9800 pro
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Windows XP Pro

lshawelu
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:08 pm

Nowadays most motherboards inside Dell are MiTAC. Just like the ones in Compaq/HP. They used to be either Intel or custom-made only.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby GEFORCEFreek » Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:47 pm

Dell really do Suck though

£999

for 2.4Ghz, 512mb DDR266, and a $%^!@# Intel Extreme Graphics card

the only good thing that come from dell is the XPS

Dell beats the comptetition eh?

has dell got one of these?

http://www.gateway.com/home/prod/hm_700 ... tail.shtml

I dont think so
GEFORCEFreek

Postby lshawelu » Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:00 pm

Dell beats the comptetition eh?

has dell got one of these?

http://www.gateway.com/home/prod/hm_700 ... tail.shtml

I dont think so

$2138 8O Do you know what kind of system I can get for that much money. You can't beat Dells customer service though. I've heard too many Gateway tech support nightmares. Also Gateway has nothing on Dell's laptops. (Look at what you have made me do, I'm defending Dell for Pete's sake :evil: )
Pentium 4 3.0c
Abit IC7-Max3
80/160 GB Maxtor HD
ATI Radeon 9800 pro
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Windows XP Pro

lshawelu
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Next