What's easier to work with AMD or Intel.

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby evasive » Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:32 pm

Aha, I guess my problem is living a contradictio in terminis then: being a mod and every system here is Intel inside :twisted:
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby useless comment » Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:30 pm

for the sake of convenience we'll just say Ish has it all figured out and the intelligent discussion can get back on track. think no more of it. consider it just a post by one of those immature fanboys. there is nothing to it any further than what the text states.
useless comment
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Deathsythe » Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:40 pm

Well if we follow that philosophy of anyone that buys Intel is stupid that I guess 80% of the world is stupid. :)
CPU = Intel 3.06ghz
MOTHERBOARD = MSI 875P NEO LSR
RAM = Corsair 1024mb PC2700 XMS
OS = Win XP Sp2
POWER SUPPLY = Antec true power 480w
VIDEO CARD = PNY GF 6600 256MB
CASE =Antec PLUSVIEW 1000AMG
DVD = Lite on 16x
CDRW = Lite on 52x-24x-52x
Deathsythe
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby GEFORCEFreek » Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:20 am

AMD are the better choice, I mean, yes they may make a little more heat.
But there Performance to Price ratio can't be beat, I mean whats the point in paying £400 for a P4 3.06Ghz CPU when u can get an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ for almost £100 cheaper, and the performance difference is only noticable in Benchmarks. In games and Office Application, its almost impossible to spot which PC is running the P4 and the AMD, and for me AMD based Motherboards and CPU's ar far easier to install, even though the HSF installation is a bit more fiddely. :D
GEFORCEFreek

Postby evasive » Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:28 am

I guess I'm not much of a gamer which means I want stability in a system above all. AMD has been bitten in the past by bad chipsets being released for their CPUs, something that has made me lose confidence in an AMD solution entirely. They will have to prove themselves (the chipset makers, not AMD).
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby charibdis » Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:02 pm

Thusfar I've had 2 athlons. A TBird and a Palomino. Both ran rock stable with their respective motherboards. I had a TBird 900 with an AOpen AK73Pro-A (KT133A mobo) which I gave to my brother as a wedding gift and it's still running smooth. I currently have an XP 1800+ with a Gigabyte GA7-VRXP Rev 2.0 (KT333) and it's working fine and is very stable.

I've heard many people complain about stability but I dunno where the issues have really come from. Somehow I don't believe it to be a direct relation to the CPU/Mobo combo but rather some other combo (Old GF3 issues come to mind) I'm a gamer and have yet to have any problems with both the AMD systems I've had. I'd also like to point out that 3 of my friends have rock stable AMD machines, and a fourth is going for an AMD based machine as well.
ABIT NF7-S | Athlon 2500XP @ 12x200 | Corsair HydroCool200 | 3DMark2K1 V330 = 15722 ~ 3DMark03 V340 = 4988
-----------
2nd pc: Dual PII 350 running Fedora Core 2
-----------
3rd pc: Dual Intel PPro 200MHz (Linux) ->decomissioned due to heat problems
charibdis
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:55 pm

I guess I'll have to find one cheap to try it then...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby barmouth » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:10 am

Sodsm

I understood your story, and liked it.

I use Intel, I am stupid.

How can both be true?
barmouth
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby useless comment » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:05 pm

glad you liked the story barmouth but that's all it was - a story. i felt like making up a fairy tale to go along with all the other fairy tales that accompany this subject. if anyone wants my true opinion on the original question it is this: if you have half a clue of what the hell you are doing then they are both equally simple to work with. if your only experience with a computer is a Pavillion email checker or some over priced Alienware drivel that thinks it's a gaming computer that you never even had the case open then any computer is going to seem complicated.

i have a question. what do you call "easier to work with"? would installing a CPU and hs/f, popping in the memory, installing the mobo on tray into case, plugging in ide and floppy cables and psu cable, hooking up front panel connectors and speaker, inserting video and sound card, plugging in all peripheral connections and power cable, pressing the power button, machine booting up first try, be considered easy? if so then the first and only machine i have ever had that happen with was and AMD board. the system consisted of an Epox 8kha+, Duron 1GHz, nvidia riva 128 agp vid, drsoundpci soundcard w/YMF724 chip, cheap Enlight 350 watt PSU, 128MB Crucial ram. i was so pleased with the Epox board that I bought another of the same model. it was DOA. it was replaced with another AMD board(Epox 8k9ai) and other than having to turn of the DV switch on my Radeon to get it to initially boot it has been flawless.

i'm just so tired of how retarded people are about this whole thing. i'm tired of people defending companies that wouldn't spit on them if they were on fire and yet are prepared to go to war for said company at the drop of a hat.

if people would just remember to take everything they hear second hand about a certain computer with a grain of salt we would all be much better off. you usually hear computer horror stories from two sources: one being the average moron that is just regurgitating what he read on some forum like this one; the other being first hand experience that is so tainted with frustration and disdain that things are blown way out of proportion(I've read alot of those "My experience building my first computer" stories which 90% of those I can tell from the first paragraph that the guy/or girl is mentally incapable and is gonna screw it up from the get go).

if you don't know what you're getting in to, blame no one but yourself when it blows up in your face.
useless comment
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby miki02131 » Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:47 pm

sodsm live wrote:i have a question. what do you call "easier to work with"? would installing a CPU and hs/f, popping in the memory, installing the mobo on tray into case, plugging in ide and floppy cables and psu cable, hooking up front panel connectors and speaker, inserting video and sound card, plugging in all peripheral connections and power cable, pressing the power button, machine booting up first try, be considered easy? if so then the first and only machine i have ever had that happen with was and AMD board. the system consisted of an Epox 8kha+, Duron 1GHz, nvidia riva 128 agp vid, drsoundpci soundcard w/YMF724 chip, cheap Enlight 350 watt PSU, 128MB Crucial ram. i was so pleased with the Epox board that I bought another of the same model. it was DOA. it was replaced with another AMD board(Epox 8k9ai) and other than having to turn of the DV switch on my Radeon to get it to initially boot it has been flawless.

i'm just so tired of how retarded people are about this whole thing. i'm tired of people defending companies that wouldn't spit on them if they were on fire and yet are prepared to go to war for said company at the drop of a hat.

Building computers has nothing to do with that question. Somebody who knows how to Build computers isn't more knowledgeable in computer than somebody who never builds one. I know total idiots who can barely understand how a cpu works and yet they build performance computers.

The answer to the "easier to work with" question is in the scientific and performance knowledge. Such knowledge is at the system design level and further down at the components design level. When you start investigating which components would work together to provide maximum performance. When you start asking which of intel or amd instruction sets are easiest to use or design hardware around. When you start asking yourself which product provides the highest level abstraction, then you're addressing the issue in an educated manner.

Just as a hypothetical example, if an intel product requires additional cooling to perform the same as an AMD product, then in this regard AMD would be easiest to work with than Intel.

The answer to the question which one is easier to work with is in the level of abstraction provide by each product. For example, given the followings:
1) an AMD cpu and its instruction set
2) an Intel cpu and its instruction set
If I ask you to design a motherboard around each cpu that would yield the exact same performance, then the one that requires the less complex design solution is the one that is easier to work with.

Ultimately, there is a scientific way to tell whether AMD or Intel is easier to work with. No companies how big or small can escape the above test. If intel provides a product with a more profound level of abstraction and better performance than an amd product, then Intel is easier to work with. If AMD provides a performance product that is easier to design hardware around than an intel prouduct, then AMD is easier to work with.
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War