Why AMD is right by doing XP#### Perf ratings.

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Valour » Wed May 14, 2003 11:50 am

CPU performance is only one fraction of overall system performance. Intel CPUs can be slower and still keep up because of the increased memory bandwidth of a higher-speed FSB and a dual-channel memory controller. AMD CPUs are choked by low memory bandwidth; if the Barton 400FSB CPUs actually see the light of day then you might see some real performance from an AMD motherboard.

-Jem
"The proverb says that Providence protects children and idiots. This is really true. I know because I have tested it." -Mark Twain

I wrote this book: www.herotale.com
And here's the next one: www.emeraldblackbird.com
Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Aussie » Thu May 22, 2003 11:18 am

Posted: 15 May 2003

if the Barton 400FSB CPUs actually see the light of day then you might see some real performance from an AMD motherboard.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9460

Tuesday 13 May 2003

CHIP FIRM AMD said it had released a version of its desktop 3200+ processor which will use a 400MHz front side bus.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_3734,00.html

AMD Athlon™ XP Processor: Now Available in Model 3200+

Superior performance through award-winning architecture and 400 front-side bus.

http://www.pricewatch.com/1/3/5163-1.htm

AXDA3200 Athlon XP 3200+

Updated:5/19, 6:32PM

Will Ship: Same - 1day

Announced on the 13th and available for same day shipment on the 19th so I guess they have "seen the light of day". :lol:

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby len444 » Thu May 22, 2003 12:14 pm

i wonder about the motherboard side of the equation (opteron as well?)? any mb's for amd's latest available?

edit: yes, they are expensive paper weights w/o mb's.
Last edited by len444 on Thu May 22, 2003 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby gaviota » Thu May 22, 2003 2:07 pm

Valour wrote:the XP rating system is misleading. It doesn't always accurately portray how much work is done compared with a P4's speed rating.

I generally agree with what you post, but not this time.

AMD's PR rating is not supposed to be a comparison to the P4, but instead to the original AMD Athlon.

Now, suppose we were to compare a 2.0 Ghz P4 vrs. an XP2000+ vrs. a 2.0 Ghz Celeron. The XP2000+ and the 2.0 Ghz P4 would have similar performance, and both would run circles around the 2.0 Ghz Celeron. So in the end, who is misleading and fooling customers?
It's not important to know all the answers, as long as you know how to contact someone who does.
gaviota
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Tulatin » Thu May 22, 2003 4:33 pm

Quite possibly the + rating will confuse some in relation to the Celeron. The only chipset out there today that'll handle the 400 mhz fsb is the Nforce 2. Don't think the KT400 does...
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby GEFORCEFreek » Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:26 am

with the TBred AMD XP's, just take 200 of the 7 if it were a 1700+, and you get the actual clock speed, and so on, with Bartons, the clock speed doesn't really matter as they perform about the same as the actual number ( 2800+ performs like a 2.8Ghz P4 ) simple
GEFORCEFreek

Postby mathgeek » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:34 am

I've enjoyed the debate in both directions, but everyone seems to be forgetting the true marketing of the XP+ notation. AMD isn't trying to fool real enthusiasts such as yourselves; you will heavily research benchmarks and spec sheets and decide for yourself which is the best chip for your purpose. The XP+ notation was designed for the general public who will purchase systems based on numbers...
AMD's PR rating is not supposed to be a comparison to the P4, but instead to the original AMD Athlon.

Yes, and No. Yes, because it illustrates how previous Athlon clock speeds did not convey the power of the chip. No, in the sense that the average buyer will say 2 GHz P4 must be better than a 1.8 GHz Ahtlon.
Finally, the P4 and the Athlon are entirely different architectures, so they can't be directly compared. Both have their strengths and both have their weaknesses. Evasive said it best:
Give the gamers their AMD, let us bussiness people use the P4 and be done with it.

Ultimately, I agree with Peanya and will almost always choose AMD over Intel. That is not right or wrong, it's just my choice. That's the beauty of competition and freedom!! :)
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needs to be replaced anyway!!
mathgeek
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby tetsuo » Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:56 pm

evasive i am sorry to say i on the first pc i built(xp1800) i did mount the heatsink wrong.it was a akasa silvermountain and was fitted backwards.because the cutaway was at the wrong end the heatsink had only partial contact with the core.i ran it like this for at least 5 months(i was very lucky i presume).When i realised and removed the heatsink the base looked like id been cooking food on it.
tetsuo
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Tulatin » Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:59 pm

That's never a good thing to do, but also the reason why manufacturers should slot both sides (albeit then the clip won't have enough pressure at the correct point)...
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Sun Jul 20, 2003 4:00 pm

tetsuo wrote:evasive i am sorry to say i on the first pc i built(xp1800) i did mount the heatsink wrong.it was a akasa silvermountain and was fitted backwards.because the cutaway was at the wrong end the heatsink had only partial contact with the core.i ran it like this for at least 5 months(i was very lucky i presume).When i realised and removed the heatsink the base looked like id been cooking food on it.

You are the first person reporting a survival of an almost uncooled AMD processor post-K6. Congratulations.

I know I have seen several P2's and P3's running without a functioning fan at one time or the other (industrial environments wreak havoc on fans), none have failed so far.

Maybe AMD will get their act together and provide on-chip protection against overtemperature at one time.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War