What do u think is better AMD or Intel?

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby violoncello0 » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:32 pm

i have a friend that basically gets paid to test out various chipsettings and cpus and other system components, and he says that an AMD processer will do many more calculations per minute than an Intel will of the same speed. also, he says that you can overclock an AMD processer much more than an Intel and not worry too much.
violoncello0

Postby evasive » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:41 pm

Just worry about the cooling, that's all. As for overclockability, it's easier to overclock AMDs. Not necessarily better. I want to see you reach 4.4MHz or even XP4400+ speeds if you like those better with any AMD on air cooling.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Aussie » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:57 pm

he says that an AMD processer will do many more calculations per minute than an Intel will of the same speed

Instructions per cycle (IPC) is the terminology used to describe this and yes the AMD CPU does have a higher IPC than the Pentium 4.

also, he says that you can overclock an AMD processer much more than an Intel

Not necessarily so, it depends on which particular processor you are talking about because not every CPU is overclockable to any great degree.

Certain CPU's are known to overclock well, for example the 1800+ & 2100+ AMD Thoroughbreds & 2500+ AMD Bartons are known to be good overclockers and the 1.6 - 1.8A P4's & 2.4 - 2.8C P4's are also good overclockers but if you took an AMD 3200+ or a P4 3.2GHz you would find them both difficult to overclock to any degree although the P4 would probably do better than the AMD in this case.

AMD CPU's have the advantage of being multiplier unlockable whereas the Intel CPU's aren't so this usually makes AMD CPU's more attractive to overclockers along with the more affordable prices of the mid to lower end AMD CPU's compared to Intels P4 pricing structure.

Bang for buck the AMD CPU wins hands down in the mid to lower range and in the upper ranges both AMD & Intel are very poor value.

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rgschaef » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:10 am

Intel is the best. They are priced slightly higher but they make up with that in speed power and their name. I like amd's but i prefer intel. I am currently building a system with an atlon 64 for a friend it works fine but get an intel
________
Suzuki fronte
Last edited by rgschaef on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgschaef
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby tommie j » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:31 pm

i couldnt get my barton 2800 /soltek sl-75frn-rl to over clock at all but i have my p4 2.6C overclocked to 3250 and have had it much higher.so i would have to go with intel on best OC. 8O

tommie j
I bailed, moved to puerto rico ,lifes too short!
tommie j
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Southwind25 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:41 pm

tommie j wrote:i couldnt get my barton 2800 /soltek sl-75frn-rl to over clock at all but i have my p4 2.6C overclocked to 3250 and have had it much higher.so i would have to go with intel on best OC. 8O

tommie j

You have a problem with overheating, board,psu, or RAM then. I've used many 2500+ Barton's and never had one that wouldn't overclock to at least 2.2GHz(3200+ speed). Most of them will run stabily at 2300 Mhz.
Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby evasive » Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:16 pm

possibly the soltek doesn't like to be overclocked...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby tommie j » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:03 pm

..maybe so.i think the soltek is a little buggy. not getting very good memory scores. should be better :( i think im gonna try the NF7-S since i've heard so many good things about it. :D

tommie j
I bailed, moved to puerto rico ,lifes too short!
tommie j
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Nads » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:11 am

I choose AMD because they never hired some corny Blue Man Group to promote their product, lol. Seriously, I just enjoy the value of an AMD rig.
AMD FX-53
ASUS SK8V
2 WD RAPTORS (raid 0)
BFG 6800ULTRA OC
1 gig OCZ DDR400 (registered)
THERMALTAKE SILENT BOOST COOLER
Nads
Green Belt
Green Belt

Previous

Return to The Hundred Year War