What do u think is better AMD or Intel?

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Tulatin » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:20 pm

that's an awfully odd place for it - how'd it get in the tank fullof water we're supposed to drink while standing around this cooler, aimlessly talking.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby joshvee » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:21 pm

lol..... :lol:
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby speedblurr » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:21 pm

I hope he put it in a plastic baggy or something.......................
speedblurr
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tulatin » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:23 pm

yeah, otherwise we got a soggy british poll...
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby joshvee » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:40 am

OK new update on the 3.2 OCing......now at 5193.21MHz

http://www.da-solutions.netfirms.com/desktop.html

Temp is now steady on 37c..........Will try for more in 3 or 4 days

Tulitan I had a problem with a WU I was working on It was a 500 framer and I was at 60% then I turned off the comp to insert a sound module (remember the 3.2 is my audio engineering comp) and went about my buisness........about 4 hours later when I turned F@H back on to stress test the comp it started from scratch and downloaded a new WU (400 frames) so I have lost that 500 frame WU :cry: The question is, If you notice the screen shot in the link above you will see that my graphic shows that I haven't done any WUs but before this happened it showed I had done 3....why is that? am I going to lose this WU as well? will the amount of WUs get updated after this one is done?......
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Southwind25 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:46 am

Now that is impressive Josh :)
Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby joshvee » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:53 am

But my core 0 voltage is still off on MBM5....anyone know why? I've tried changing all the settings but that makes it worse
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby radeon9800pro » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:47 am

Johnny Mnemonic wrote:Do you know that Pentium 4's are less efficient than Pentium 3's? How about the on die L1 memory cache size on a pentium 4 is the same as a 486! It is faster ram, of course. Intel went with a small but fast cache, while AMD's larger cache is slightly slower. This is always the tradeoff when memory is concerned. Think of it like two people going backpacking. One has a light pack, which allows him to move really fast. But if he needs something he doesn't have, it's back to the campsite or car to repack his stuff (lost CPU cycles). The other camper carries a pack 8 times larger, and he can't move as fast, but he does not need to repack or return to base to unload very often.

Do you know WHY AMD chips can do more per Clock cycle than Intel chips can? The performance rating labels were created for people just like you, who think clock speed is everything. Well my friend, you may think that the ability to process more instructions per second is a good thing, except when you consider instruction caching, pipelines, and refill rates. The AMD chips have shorter pipelines compared to the Intel's longer instruction pipelines. This works to Intel's advantage when processesing long strings of syncrhonous code. But if you need to dump and reload the whole pipeline you lose clock cycles. This, in a nutshell, is why AMD chips can actually "do" more per clock cycle than the equivalent P4. This is why an AMD chip that actually runs at 1.66 Ghz can outperform a intel running at 2.0 Ghz.

Penium 4's were a joke until the northwoods came out with 533 fsb.

I Like that it wasnt bad at all
radeon9800pro

Postby joshvee » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:58 am

And your point is?
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby radeon9800pro » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:09 am

I guess I was late 2 join in and needed 2 add a comment :P thatis my point oh and dont forget, BECAUSE I LIKED IT!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
radeon9800pro

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War