What do u think is better AMD or Intel?

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

What do u think is better AMD or Intel?

Postby the_choson1 » Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:47 pm

Me personally i like the intel because for the simple fact they say the clock speed in their name, unlike AMD who say 2000+ for a 1666mhz processor. I would like to have some discussion on this. I know if i didnt no nothing and went to buy an amd and because it said 2000+ over a 2000mhz and the amd is cheaper which one would you buy?
EXACTLY!
You have been choson
the_choson1
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Netraider » Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:19 am

The AMD :lol:

All of my main computers have been AMD's :lol: I have built Intel machines for others and although they do impress me to a point, there price tag will always let them down :lol:
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Athlon 64 3200+
Asus EN6600TD-256
2 512MB PC3200 (Geil)
2 WD Raptor's (RAID 0)
2 200GB Seagate's (IDE)
Windows XP Pro SP2
Netraider
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby halo4life » Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:11 am

AMD all da way...! Cost is an issue. I don't mind the fact that they don't say the clock speed in their name.
ASUS A7N8X[non-d]
AMD 2600+
9500 Pro
512 Corsair XMS2700
halo4life
Initiate
Initiate

Postby undying fenix » Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:39 pm

Shouldn't this in the hundred year forum?

Oh and by the way,

AMD is God.
Hold that thought.
undying fenix
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby sunnyotown » Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:05 am

[quote="undying fenix"]Shouldn't this in the hundred year forum?

Oh and by the way,

AMD is God.[/quote]

LOL. If AMD were God, their stock value wouldn't be in the toilet!
sunnyotown

Re: What do u think is better AMD or Intel?

Postby sunnyotown » Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:10 am

[quote="the_choson1"]Me personally i like the intel because for the simple fact they say the clock speed in their name, unlike AMD who say 2000+ for a 1666mhz processor. I would like to have some discussion on this. I know if i didnt no nothing and went to buy an amd and because it said 2000+ over a 2000mhz and the amd is cheaper which one would you buy?
EXACTLY![/quote]

My last two cpu's were P2 350, and Athlon 550. Just purchased: P4 2.53 533 FSB Northwood. The pendulum swings, and has been swinging Intel's way...

"I think there is only one quality worse than hardness of heart, and that is softness of head." Theodore Roosevelt
Last edited by sunnyotown on Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunnyotown

Postby the_choson1 » Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:14 am

Everyone has their own opinion and i no price is a big issue, i no bc i had to beg to get ym ram upgraded from 64mb but i still say intel are better bc they can run faster.
And the fact my dads and mine computer are intels and my bros is AMD
You have been choson
the_choson1
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:01 am

the_choson1 wrote:Everyone has their own opinion and i no price is a big issue, i no bc i had to beg to get ym ram upgraded from 64mb but i still say intel are better bc they can run faster.
And the fact my dads and mine computer are intels and my bros is AMD

I recently upgaded from a 1.4Ghz Athlon XP (1600+) to an Intel 2.4Ghz with twice the FSB (533). Barely noticable upgrade. I should have gone with the 2400+.

the_choson1 wrote:Me personally i like the intel because for the simple fact they say the clock speed in their name, unlike AMD who say 2000+ for a 1666mhz processor. I would like to have some discussion on this. I know if i didnt no nothing and went to buy an amd and because it said 2000+ over a 2000mhz and the amd is cheaper which one would you buy?
EXACTLY!

Do you know that Pentium 4's are less efficient than Pentium 3's? How about the on die L1 memory cache size on a pentium 4 is the same as a 486! It is faster ram, of course. Intel went with a small but fast cache, while AMD's larger cache is slightly slower. This is always the tradeoff when memory is concerned. Think of it like two people going backpacking. One has a light pack, which allows him to move really fast. But if he needs something he doesn't have, it's back to the campsite or car to repack his stuff (lost CPU cycles). The other camper carries a pack 8 times larger, and he can't move as fast, but he does not need to repack or return to base to unload very often.

Do you know WHY AMD chips can do more per Clock cycle than Intel chips can? The performance rating labels were created for people just like you, who think clock speed is everything. Well my friend, you may think that the ability to process more instructions per second is a good thing, except when you consider instruction caching, pipelines, and refill rates. The AMD chips have shorter pipelines compared to the Intel's longer instruction pipelines. This works to Intel's advantage when processesing long strings of syncrhonous code. But if you need to dump and reload the whole pipeline you lose clock cycles. This, in a nutshell, is why AMD chips can actually "do" more per clock cycle than the equivalent P4. This is why an AMD chip that actually runs at 1.66 Ghz can outperform a intel running at 2.0 Ghz.

Penium 4's were a joke until the northwoods came out with 533 fsb.
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby lshawelu » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:47 am

From what I'm hearing Intel is changing ther business plan around. Before all they cared about was pure speed, how many MHZ can we make our chip go. But now they are concentrating on more performance which is AMD's claim to fame. If I were AMD I would start worrying because if intel can get their chips to perform like AMD's and still maintain it's speed things are going to get ugly. The pendulum is indeed swinging.....
Pentium 4 3.0c
Abit IC7-Max3
Corsair XMS Series 512mb PC 3200
80/160 GB Maxtor HD
ATI Radeon 9800 pro
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Windows XP Pro

"I like to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and right now I'm all out of gum"
lshawelu
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby barmouth » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:29 pm