Will AMD Ever Catch Up????

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Will AMD Ever Catch Up????

Postby undying fenix » Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:52 pm

With Pentium's new 3.06Ghz processor, will AMD ever catch up with Pentium, or will it be left in the dust, possibly for good this time?
Hold that thought.
undying fenix
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:14 pm

Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby gamepyrate » Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:37 am

I don't think elimination of any competition "for good" is anything to wish for. Even if the P4 is arguably better by speed, AMD is responsible for there even being one. Who else can contend? VIA?
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:27 am

It is also interesting that Intel is lowering their prices soon, and AMD already has lowered theirs. For a market leader Intel should have taken the initiative first.

AMD is still the underdog, but I like their style. Smaller instruction pipes that don't waste clock cycles just to refill because of their size. Actual CPU design that improves in functionality with each chip release instead of actually relying on faster clock speeds.

It would be interesting if some of the time related benchmarks shows scores relating to number of computations instead of time taken to run.
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby len444 » Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:05 am

quad opteron configuration! author thinks seti would be a good test to prove it's worth (i actually don't see the critacism of testing methodology- must have been a slashdot review).

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1596/
another link:
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1593/
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby knif_00 » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:07 am

Johnny Mnemonic wrote:http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/hardware-reviews/1232_1.html

Thanks for setting the public in the right with this incredible review of the 3000+ Barton
As for previous posts, I wouldn't say that AMD will be in the dust, nor have they ever be.
Some people have only used Intel and they just stay that way, but when you cross over to test out an AMD I won't be the only one saying "AMDme" around here.
Asus A7V333 Raid w/ AMD Athlon XP 1700+ DLT3C 0319@ 2.16 cooled via Thermalright AX-7 and an 80mm crystal led fan from SVC, 512 MB Corsair XMS PC3200 'LL' DDR, ATi Radeon 9800XT 256MB
knif_00
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Vyrux » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:53 pm

About the motherboards.org review of the AMD 3000+, it was not even tested against a Pentium 4 3.06 with HyperThreading enabled! Read the fine prints:

Intel System
Motherboard: ASUS P4G8X
CPU: Intel P4 3.06GHz (Actual) HT Disabled <---- !!!!

I stopped reading at that point. It renders the whole review meaningless. Would you turn off the turbo on a car you are reviewing in order to compare it to another car? One can hardly be more biased. And I would be just as upset if a pro-intel person decided to disable a feature of the Athlon XP (say an extra pipeline). The author did not even explain his reason for disabling HT on a motherboard (P4G8X) which supports it , one could be lead to believe he was hiding the fact that testing was biased. I'm neither pro-AMD nor pro-Intel, I'm pro-Higher-Performance-Price-Ratio considering what I can afford. I certainly expect fairness when it comes to reviews and will speak freely when I detect blatant unfairness.

Vyrux
Vyrux
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:41 pm

Uh oh, you've unconvered a CONSPIRACY!

watch out, they are listening!

Seriously you would probably find that for the tests run, hyperthreading would not offer much of an improvement. Doc Overclock, the author, is also not affiliated with either AMD or Intel. I believe he prefers Intel, but that is only my belief.

If this was truly a coverup, you would not have even seen that HT was disabled. Think about it.
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Vyrux » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:11 pm

Johnny Mnemonic says:
Seriously you would probably find that for the tests run, hyperthreading would not offer much of an improvement.

If it is the author's opinion that HT is useless, then let him prove it, by making a more thorough comparison of AMD 3000+, a P4 3.06 HT and a P4 3.06 non-HT.

For everyone else doubting the value of HT, Read the article and download the 16MB video from Tom's Hardware which shows the 3.06 HT's performance, not against a 3.06 non-HT, but a 3.6 (overclocked from 3.06, non-HT). While it is true that HT cannot help run a single-threaded application faster, we are not in the days of DOS anymore. We have multi-tasking operating systems and even some that can take advantage of SMP, like win XP pro and Linux OSes. Nowadays, I never run a single application without listening to internet radio, downloading or having alt-tabbed from another application still running in the background. To me, this 3 minutes video shows the importance of HT more realistically than any single test. More importantly it invalidates the AMD 3000+ review on this site because its author decided to turn off this most valuable feature.

My tacky analogy is not a bad one. Would you consider it fair to disable the turbo on a car to compare it to another car?
Vyrux
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby undying fenix » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:40 pm

Good point Vyrux. If there really was no difference between HT and non-HT, then there would be no point to HT would there? hehe. :)
Hold that thought.
undying fenix
Green Belt
Green Belt

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War