Intel or AMD

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Intel or AMD for gaming, heavy internet use, and video editing?

Poll ended at Mon May 27, 2002 2:14 pm

Intel
42%
AMD
58%

Total votes : 12

Postby Aibohphobia » Tue Jun 25, 2002 10:11 pm

PENTIUM 4 IS BETTER THAN AMD MUAHAHAHAHA :twisted: :twisted:
Especially now that they have both RDRam and DDRam boards, more choice and more boards. They kick AMD's ass in overclocking and performance. Now they are lowering their prices for competition, so you will see AMD hurrying out their new line of processors, which will still be crushed by the innovative Intel.

Face it, AMD can't compete any more--or at least they aren't trying hard enough. They can't even get their aging cpu's to reach the 2.0ghz mark, whereas you can overclock an Intel to almost 4gigahertz. AMD fanboys are becoming more and more like the Mac weirdos.
Last edited by Aibohphobia on Tue Jul 09, 2002 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Tue Jun 25, 2002 10:21 pm

i think everone hate's you :evil:
Two muffins are baking in an oven. one muffin says to the other,"hey man its getting pretty hot in here" "Holy $%^!@#" the other muffin replys " A talking muffin!" MaximMAg
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby undying fenix » Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:25 am

Well I think you are wrong datektrader because you want to go with Macs over PCs and that just aint right. Given Macs are easier to learn on, but who really has the advantage of better selection for software and hardware?? Think about that one before you start rebelling. :roll: 8O
undying fenix
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:44 pm

it was a joke :roll: god, some people are so protective of their PCs :P :P
Two muffins are baking in an oven. one muffin says to the other,"hey man its getting pretty hot in here" "Holy $%^!@#" the other muffin replys " A talking muffin!" MaximMAg
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Punker » Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:02 pm

you what. if you think about it. as long as both are supported. we should all be happy, i went with amd in the end only cos it was a cheaper alternative. 2000xp is fast enuff for me. and with the motherboard i got "a7v333" i hope i can still upgrade in the future.

when i had pentium 166mmx (a few days ago) i was happy with it. i would have gone intel if amd wasnt the cheaper alternative. by hundred or so dollars and in the end amd did the job. maybe the intel is a bit faster. i can go a few seconds difference. maybe intel is a better overclocker. that might be a plus to you but since im not good with that sorta stuff i got what was within my price range and what was cheaper at the time.

so yeh my 2 cents. i just hope amd will be around in later years when i need the support :)

then again i could be talking alot of crap.
I love it when you touch me there
Punker
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby len444 » Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:48 pm

can go a few seconds difference

probably more like nano seconds difference- i'm using an amd xp1500+ w/ no regrets what so ever (loosing my shirt w/ amd stock is another topic in and of itself though, for which at the time was due to intel as the 'bell weather' stock which the market follows- now amd has left their core constituancy hanging by choosing to go w/ hammer, in an attempt to capture the corporate market, whereas their biggest amount of business in the retail market (like where are the .13 micron cpu's?, yeah it's intel!?!)- notice how people seem to be saying intel- i attribute this to their preoccupation for a market that they have yet to penetrate. i did try to trade amd stock- ie buy sell, short- f*ck em i hate em, i want my money back- f*cken POS crappy tech stock, ect..., all short of wasting a fab plant, or what ever- but no hard feelings (i really regret holding, all while knowing it was going down- like i'm the idiot- i think that is where i got into the trade mode- alright i'm messed up, big mistakes, watch the chairman sell hundreds of thousands of shares- maybe this means something?!? )- as i chime in like some kind of mesmerised idiot (wtf)!
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Etienne the Destroyer » Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:08 pm

Aibohphobia wrote:PENTIUM 4 IS BETTER THAN AMD MUAHAHAHAHA :twisted: :twisted:

"Hear hear" I must concur, P4 has AMD beat, though I could be a bit biased on my part as I have a sister that works in a RD fab for Intel, but the stats speak for themselves, Intel is just a more stable chip and can be tweaked without as many repercussions, we hope, lol. AMD is a great chip and they make Intel stay on their toes and not gouge the consumer as much. Keep up the good work AMD, someday you might be king for a day again.
Bob said it right, "Everyting gonna be irey".

Jah Bless
Etienne the Destroyer
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Punker » Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:15 am

i like competition. so lets have people fight over the two. as long as they both stay reasonably affordable. when i bought a cpu i was thinking it would cost me over like 500 or so dollars, my graphics card cost more than it did :).

not back in the days when i use to have a pentium 166 where the cpu itself was over 800 dollars (phoar!!)

so yeh me stay happy with amd for now. only cos i havent experience these speeds ever. my trusty rusty 166 did it for me for 5 and half years (ending a 15 days ago).

so yeh i guess intel are reliabable.

maybe i should overclock it :P
I love it when you touch me there
Punker
Green Belt
Green Belt

is there really a fight?

Postby penfeld » Sat Jul 27, 2002 9:08 pm

Granted the P4 is a faster processor (if you use the memory it was designed for)

But since memory requirements only go up; they aren't in the same league as XP's

1gb pc2700 ddr $350

1gb rdram $1500

In bang for the buck AMD if money is no object INTEL.

Now can someone tell me when exactly is money not an object?
penfeld
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: is there really a fight?

Postby Etienne the Destroyer » Sun Jul 28, 2002 7:21 am

penfeld wrote:Granted the P4 is a faster processor (if you use the memory it was designed for)

But since memory requirements only go up; they aren't in the same league as XP's

1gb pc2700 ddr $350

1gb rdram $1500

In bang for the buck AMD if money is no object INTEL.

Now can someone tell me when exactly is money not an object?
Let me help your numbers out (these numbers are from pricewatch.com):

2 chips of ddr pc3200 (400mhz) 512mg $324
2 chips of pc800 its states its speed 512mg $518

Well now looks like you were quoting pc1066 and probably Mushkin at that for rambus, :roll: and the crap for ddr, but hey if ya want to skew #'s it can be done, but the ones I've used is the cheapest found at pricewatch. I'd think I'd want the ram that is twice as fast for way less than double the price, w/o bias. 8O
Bob said it right, "Everyting gonna be irey".

Jah Bless
Etienne the Destroyer
Initiate
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War