Intel or AMD

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Intel or AMD for gaming, heavy internet use, and video editing?

Poll ended at Mon May 27, 2002 2:14 pm

Intel
42%
AMD
58%

Total votes : 12

Postby evasive » Fri Aug 23, 2002 11:17 pm

Being the poor mans processor, the quality of the chipsets for AMD has been and maybe always will be below the standard of the ones released for Intel processors.

The only AMD I ever owned (a 386DX40) was integrated on a board that much later turned out to be a PCChips board (M321 by ILON). I know can explain all the crashes/hangs/corruption I had on that machine. Not the processor at fault, but the board. This will be many times the problem with AMD systems...

I'll probably fall for another Intel system on a board with an Intel chipset on an Intel board despite lack of overclockability. I want my system to run at all times, nothing else...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Thestonecutter » Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:06 am

OK, i have to admit, i did buy the AMD because yes it is a damn lot cheaper than the Intel rubbish, but i had heard from many people running AMD systems that they were equal in performance if not better, so i thought F it, i will give them a shot.
I have not looked back since, another thing which tipped me over the egde with AMD's is the fact they are so upgradeable, with only 2 (?) changes to their formats over the years, compared to Intels..........how many???????? Socket 423 comes out, six months later Socket 478 hits the shelves!!!!!!!!! I mean what is that? Oh i have just bought myself a new Intel system, oh too bad sonny jim, they have just chamged the format!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think AMD, when the new range of processors come out, will finally be right on the money, and you will start to see more and more computer users switch to AMD. OK it might take awhile because people will only go AMD because they are the cheaper option, but when they do......................the rest will be history!

:D :D :D :D :D :D
4 meg of RAM
512 k/b Vid Card
20 Meg HDD.............OH YEAH!!
Thestonecutter
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:45 am

Hmmm, sounds familiar. Like a broken record.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:40 pm

It will never end...

AMD vs Intel
ATI vs Nvidia
Linux vs Microsoft
Mac vs IBM
Ford vs Chevy
Imports vs Domestic
Ying vs Yang
Less Filling vs Tastes Great

There are reasons for and against every side, but the truth is the competition would not be there if things were so "one-sided".
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby zackr » Fri May 02, 2003 11:50 pm

I would go with the p4 for video edit. Plus P4's are good for gaming as well.
zackr
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby some_random_guy » Thu May 08, 2003 12:02 am

I think its simply a matter of price/performance ratio. AMD has a much better performance rating per dollar compared to Intel, but if I had the money, i would splurge and get the Intel. But since I dont have the money, I'm going with AMD since I can still get good performance at a fraction of the cost of the Intel.

And also, Intel seems to aim their developement teams at getting pure speed so they can slap that high number on the box. And there's nothing wrong with pure speed :twisted:
BUT, AMD's cpu's seem to be more well rounded; so that even though their core speeds are just reaching past 2.0ghz, they can compete with an intel 3.0ghz cpu. So that tells me that if both their core speeds were at 3.0ghz, that the AMD cpu would be superior.

But since they're not the same, it depends on how much money you want to spend and what kind of performance you want. 8O
Did you know that 64% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
If quizes are quizzical, then what are tests?
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

save the drama for your mama
some_random_guy
Initiate
Initiate

Previous

Return to The Hundred Year War