How many girls are in here?

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

How many girls are in here?

Postby charlene » Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:23 am

In my time here I don't think I have come across another female. Am I the only one? :cry: Any way of finding out the ratio of males:females who have registered here? I'm just curious...

I read recently that in playing video games, males make up 95%!! I assume when it comes to hardware and stuff then it is even higher than that. Why don't more girls play computer games?? It's weird. I'm not a big gamer myself - kind of average probably, I have a PS2 and 13 games... hehe that sounds a lot actually, and I'm just starting to get into PC games now. It's great fun, so I don't understand why more girls aren't into it. I mean... what do they do?? Talk about Gareth Gates and give each other manicures? Pff.

Anyway. That's all. I'm off to shoot and blow up some guards on Mars (Red Faction) :twisted:
charlene
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:31 pm

Well there is another fellow female here by the name of GillianTan. She even has a couple of servers that host battlefield 1942 and return to castle wolfenstein, last time I checked. There is also EvlWmn (I know I misspelled that) who is also a fellow female techie. I couldn't say why there are not as many females here, except perhaps the technical aspect of computers and games might turn most females off. Unfortunately that statement may sound sexist, but it's just an assumption anyways.

Regardless, welcome to motherboards.org, and I hope you come back here to visit. It's a great place to help out others, and learn something new in the process. Hope to see you around!
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby effika » Mon Jan 13, 2003 2:18 pm

I'm a female, too! I disapear for a couple of months and Johnny goes off forgetting me. :)
effika
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Vikster » Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:02 pm

Count me in! I only do a bit of gaming (although my nephew may be on his way to getting me hooked on Battlefield 1941) -- mostly RPG's. But I spend an inordinate amount of time with hardware/software -- both new builds and troubleshooting old ones, and my overall geek quotient is pretty high.
Vikster
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Toby B. » Tue Jan 14, 2003 6:46 am

There is also EvlWmn (I know I misspelled that) who is also a fellow female techie.
Its actually EvLwMn :wink:

There are other female techies here, I cant remember their user names but there are several.

Toby
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:23 am

The girl to guy ratio at best is about 1 in 20 in any computer type field...
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby GillianTan » Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:45 am

Johnny Mnemonic wrote:Well there is another fellow female here by the name of GillianTan. She even has a couple of servers that host battlefield 1942 and return to castle wolfenstein, last time I checked.

That would be me!! Do you play on my servers Johnny?
My NEW 3dMark score http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4955820
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return...
GillianTan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:19 am

I have visited your OC48 servers, but unfortunately I don't get a decent ping there... I'm in Texas, and have an average aDSL line. But if I ever see an OC48 near the top of my ping listing, I'll be sure to login. My player name is always "12 Monkeys" in case anyone bumps into me.

Anyway, the only problem with anyone identifing yourself as a female here, is that you get all sort of googily eyes from all the males. 8O 8O 8O

:lol:
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby gaviota » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:29 pm

Hardware Junkie wrote:The girl to guy ratio at best is about 1 in 20 in any computer type field...

I think there are a lot more women than you think working in IT.
My last 3 jobs have been as IT Manager, first in a Retail company, then in a Bank, and now in a Manufacturing/Wholesales company.
The statistics in these 3 IT departments combined are 96 IT employees in total, 26 of which are women. Thats 27%, a ratio of 1 in 3.7.
This includes IT Managers, Proyect Managers, Developers, Analysts, Technical Support, Help Desk, Web Designers/Developers and System Administrators. It doesn't include Administrative staff, otherwise the ratio would be even higher.
Most other companies I know have a similar ratio. These are Latin American companies, maybe in other places of the world the the ratio is different.
It's not important to know all the answers, as long as you know how to contact someone who does.
gaviota
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue Jan 14, 2003 5:06 pm

In my experience, the woman ratio has been low. When I was in college taking Systems tech courses, we started with 12 girls out of a class of 78. And we ended the year with 3 left. Granted we were down to 45% of the people who were left (alot of people dropped the course) but it was still significant.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War