i only want people who like macs to answer this

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby ZidaneMonkeyBoy » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:15 pm

No i don't hate Macs i am what you say the more neutral side. I feel their is a place and a time for Macs, for the reasons shimonmor mentioned.
P4 2.4
Super silent
Artic cooling cpu/fans
Seasonic s12 psu
: 38C/43C
ABIT IS7-E2
1 GIG pqi ram3200
ATI RAD 128M 9700
22" NEC fe2111sb
NEC DL 3540A
Audigy 2 ZS
boston CR67 +Pioneer for Audio
XsonicCase
Canon i450
win2000sp4
ZidaneMonkeyBoy
Initiate
Initiate

Postby shimonmor » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:41 am

Oh...one more thing. Don't know if it was mentioned yet but generally speaking you don't have to worry about worms or viruses or trojans because they are all written for Windows. I've heard of some Mac worms out there but never seen one. I've never installed a virus protection program and I've never had a problem. A small benefit which can be huge if you've been the victim of a virus before.
P4 3.2,Intel D875PBZ,2x512GB Corsair DDR400XMS3200,2x36GB Raptors,2xWD250GB,Audigy 2 ZS,Promise SATA150TX4,ATI AIW9600 Pro,Plextor 708A DVD,LiteOn DVD,Mitsumi 7n1,IOFlex Firewire,Thermaltake Xaser III V1420DU,TurboCool510ATX PS,Sharp 19" LCD,XP Pro
shimonmor
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby topoluss » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:30 pm

Yes I know, posting 6 months after this was started but I just wanted to put my 2 cents in here.
I agree alot with what shimonmor had to say. My sister works in the graphic design field and the whole office is MAC, not a pc in site. For the work she does they are excellent, they get the job done and get it done right.
However for me I stick with the PC because I am more familar with it, I know the ins and outs, and if I dont, I come here and ask because someone else out there does.
topoluss
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Tulatin » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:19 pm

Each to they're own strength. PCs are much more powerful, and run teh gauntlet of being better. However, apples do have they're uses, but it shoud be noted that we passed they're folding team... :roll:
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby FatMikel » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:31 pm

:)
FatMikel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Black Wolf » Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:17 pm

I love this thread. One of my favorites.

shimonmor I like what you have to say and I have never met you before so hello.

As many of you know HWJ and myself both work for the Algonquin College Computer store in Ottawa, Canada. Recently our buyer from the store has gone back to work and i have taken the step up and have gotten my own office now and am acting buyer for the time being (great job, no spare time anymore :cry: )

Anyway as the buyer for a College I can tell you we sell by far more MACs than PC's any day. We will sell more PC parts. But in the end Mac's make a lot of our money here. A perfect example is a contract we have for some 30 E-macs to Carleton University (also in Ottawa), and a bid for 20 G5 for our media department in september. Also on a week to week basis, we sell more Apple laptops (powerbook G4, and Ibook g3) then our IBM laptops (R40).

The market out there is no longer black and white. I know a lot of people that one of each machine, and I plan on buying my self a E-mac superdrive in the near future as welkl with the new mini- Ipods being realesed in Canada in may.

Numbers speak for themselves in Sales. But mac does have a lot of lost ground to catch up on.
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby shimonmor » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:02 pm

Not trying to stir up the pot here but I just thought I would share my "objective" opinion on operating systems since I've recently "re-entered" the Windows world through the XP portal via my new machine in my sig.

All I can say is that the Mac OS (9 and earlier) is so much better than any Windows OS. XP has some really nice features and is fairly simple to use but it is still a Microsoft mess. The installation process and loading of drivers and updates and registry cleanings and on and on and on are just such a burden. General maintenance and upkeep of the Windows OSs can be quite a chore. Granted I'm talking operating systems here not hardware.

Bottom line is that Windows is just too darn unwieldy and finicky. Anyway, this is just my opinion from a person that has used Windows products and Mac products for years. I just thought XP would be "new and improved" but it's really just a lot of makeup. And for those of you who complain about the Mac OS and have never really tried it...that's fine because you can keep your Windows.

Now if only I could build my own Mac machine. But that won't happen in the near future because Apple is first and foremost a Hardware company...that's how they make their money. Their OS and software are just tools to help them sell the Hardware.

Maybe I'll give this Linux stuff a try....
P4 3.2,Intel D875PBZ,2x512GB Corsair DDR400XMS3200,2x36GB Raptors,2xWD250GB,Audigy 2 ZS,Promise SATA150TX4,ATI AIW9600 Pro,Plextor 708A DVD,LiteOn DVD,Mitsumi 7n1,IOFlex Firewire,Thermaltake Xaser III V1420DU,TurboCool510ATX PS,Sharp 19" LCD,XP Pro
shimonmor
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Grayman » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:10 pm

guys, ur taking up great amounts(Not really) of server space.
Doh't
Grayman
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Black Wolf » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:21 am

Grayman wrote:guys, ur taking up great amounts(Not really) of server space.

And this post wasn't ?
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby miki02131 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:37 pm

Regardless of preference, the battle between Apple and IBM Compatible PC is over. Windows PC won and only very crazy people can argue the contrary. Apple can only loose market share. Apple is dwindling to a trickle day by day. However, I'd like them to last and compete a bit longer. They help keeping the price of PC low.
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War