i only want people who like macs to answer this

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Tramp » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:07 pm

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Y'all are nucking futs!!!!!

I pray to God that y'all are not serious .....

if you are ... only God can help us then ... :lol: :lol:
Tramp
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Tulatin » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:10 pm

that's a good way to censor it...
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby miki02131 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:33 pm

By competing against PCs, MACs push the PC developers to innovate while keeping the price of PC components to the lowest. So as a smart PC users, I will not bash MAC because their competition is ultimately beneficial to me as a PC consumer. Actually I will not discourage any crazy person willing to throw money away on a MAC because I do want Apple/MAC to survive and thus guarantying their competition for the forseable future.

Some people will say: "is he crazy or what?". How can he claim to be a PC user and yet want MAC to survive. However, let me guaranty them that there is no contradictition in my view. I would like to remind them that I am both a PC user and a consumer. As such, Competition is my sole guarantor of getting the best product at a fair price.

On the other hand, truth must be told. Nowadays, PCs outperform MACs by an appreciable percentage.
Help humanity .....join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
miki02131
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Black Wolf » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:01 pm

Well said, but also as a consumer i like what the New G5 has to offer the computer world, if I had the money i would buy one.
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Macs are machines, but...

Postby hedrenj » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:08 pm

I've been supporting Macs and PCs in the office environment since 1986. I will tell you that I've always enjoyed a Mac over a PC. Although that point of view is blurred somewhat since the release of OS X. Macs and PCs are, first and foremost, machines. They both have strong and weak points. I like the analogy of cars. A Mac is like driving a BMW 5 series, and a PC like driving a Dodge Neon. They'll both go from A to B. But, why can't we have a little style, class, and superior engineering? Do we have to Wal-Mart'ize everything in life?

In the days of Mac System 7.x, 8.x, and 9.x, there was not question in my experiece that Macs were vastly simpler to trouble-shoot and keep up and running. Study after study revealed at least a two to one ratio of IT staffers needed to keep a Windows environment running vs. a Mac environment. That in itself speaks volumes.

A Mac OS 9.x install put about 2,500 files on your machine. A Windows 9.x, NT, or 2000 OS install put about 35,000 file you machine. File proliferation, fragmentation, and cryptic naming were and are the bane of the Windows platform.

In Mac OS 10.x, unfortunately, that same problem with file proliferation, fragmentation, and cryptic naming is now just as problematic. Fortunately, the need for trouble-shooting is practically null. It just works. Can't really say that for Windows.

But let's be clear, Apple is first a computer manufacturer--a hardware company. The OS is second on the docket. But that gives Apple a distinct advantage over Microsoft which is only a software distributor. (I would use the word developer if they could show that they actually develop softare instead of strong-arming it from others.)

Because Apple engineers hardware AND develops the OS to run on it, it is so tightly integrated that it's just sweet. MS Windows will never ever be able to achieve that level of integration. They're too busy with their marketing jaugernaut anyway.

I'll end by saying that arguing which is better--Apple or Microsoft, is like arguing politics or religion. It's not likely you'll ever convince anyone to move from one camp to another.
hedrenj

Postby steve6787 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:50 pm

Some people will say: "is he crazy or what?". How can he claim to be a PC user and yet want MAC to survive.

You do realize that Microsoft puts quite a bit of money into the Apple company, for that very reason. They dont want Macs to die. They just want them to be out there, so they cant be classed as a monopoly.

Straight from Apples Site:
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/1998/jul/8microsoft.html
Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2.8GHz
Dual Boot Win7x64/Bodhi
8 GB RAM
Radeon HD 3450
60GB Vertex 2 SSD (For OS's)/750GB for Data
steve6787
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby ZidaneMonkeyBoy » Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:24 pm

i will try to list both my likes and dislikes of the MAC and PC, beware, I tried and tried, I can't find a lot that i can like with Mac.

After using both machines, In my experience, the current (at the time) apple G3 and my amd 1700+ with quadro 2that came out was several times faster than that for Photoshop, illustrator and all the editing programs I had to use at Laguna Beach art and Design School.

People who came over to use my PC was outstanding by the 3 second loadup of Pshop compared to the 3.5 minute loadup on the g3, i saw no benefit using the Round mouse with one button and tiny keyboard that had no ergonomics in mind whatsoever. My friends who come over to do their homework are actually pleased to use my fast pc compared to the macs, Needless to say, the former mac lovers split from Apple's hide. Its been many years to say since Mac DID NOT support my favorite games, it wasn't until doom was old and dead when it was released and 100% of my software cannot be used on the mac.

IN MY visit to EA Games, Hornet Inc. and knowing many pixar artists, I can tell you that I NEVER seen a mac in any of the game offices and 3d animation studios. 3dsmax and Alias Maya do not like mac support, PC windows, Unix, Sgi Octane stations/Os were needed to run heavy animation like that. EA exclusively used PCs for animation, editing and so forth. Waiting 1 year to they release the latest Ati FireGL X2 is not in the cards when it came to Developing a TIME ORIENTED title says Matt Omernick Of MEdal of Honor--he did Texturing, Level creation and some modeling. (my former Teacher)I also asked them if they personally like macs and they said not really, the benchmarks proved slow when it came down to it.

Personally, I like the Mac looks, but its look is not missed after I built my X-sonic case for my PC.
I also like the widescreen 23 cinema lcd ONLY FOR MAC. Well whatever, i can grab an nec monitor if i want too. I just learned a year ago that MACs use Trinitron/sony monitors, so its not like apple displays are all apple.

All the parts for mac is downright expensive, my programs don't work for it, all my games only 25% and just recently had a mac import. Its not used in my favorite Gaming companie's often in Square, EA and others.
So I won't be switching.
how long will it be till max payne 2 reaches the mac? and why pay 3000 for a mac with an old geforce 2mx? Even if its reduced instructions you still need dx9 compliant to display anything worthy like on Halo.
P4 2.4
Super silent
Artic cooling cpu/fans
Seasonic s12 psu
: 38C/43C
ABIT IS7-E2
1 GIG pqi ram3200
ATI RAD 128M 9700
22" NEC fe2111sb
NEC DL 3540A
Audigy 2 ZS
boston CR67 +Pioneer for Audio
XsonicCase
Canon i450
win2000sp4
ZidaneMonkeyBoy
Initiate
Initiate

Postby shimonmor » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:04 pm

I've had lots of different computers since my Kaypro II and must say that I do like my Mac a lot more than any of my Wintel machines. Now with that said, my next machine will be a home built P4 machine but I'm keeping my Mac. More on that later.

I see a lot of posts in this thread that say you can't do anything with a Mac. Geez. I do a lot with it (probably a lot more than most people). A lot more than play games and surf. The Mac is not a gaming machine...it's a machine geared to the publishing and graphical industry. Walk into just about any publishing or advertising or graphical work space and you will find Macs. Apple developed ColorSync way before any Windows machine was using any type of color calibration software. Granted, these days there really is no difference since Windows now incorporates a color profiling system. I can take just about any file from a Windows user and work on it and give it back to them to use. I've got friends who have AVI files they can't open on their Windows machine so they send them to me to open them.

As for the OS (only speaking pre OSX since I don't have OSX)...it's so much more user friendly and stable than Windows (pre-XP). It's a pleasure to use and I've used them all (besides XP and OSX). It still has its problems but nowhere near the amount of problems that Windows users face. I still get calls all the time from my friends to come over and fix their computers. I've reloaded Windows more than I care to remember. A home computer should be made for the home user: easy to use. I'm not talking about power users here. I'm not talking about the overclocking crowd but the average joe that wants to e-mail, d/l photos from a digicam, do his taxes, etc.... The Mac OS is contained the System folder and that's it. Don't have to touch it if you don't want to but if you do...every file in there has a real name so you know what it does. Windows has always been cryptic to the layman.

And for those of you complaining about the one button mouse...so buy a new one. I use a three button trackball with scroll wheel with my Mac and a new keyboard. How many PC owners still use the mouse that came with their computer? Sure there are some features that annoy me on the Mac but they are far outweighed by the benefits.

With that being said I'm building a P4 machine because I need a new computer. I'm not getting a new Apple because XP looks promising and the motherboards these days have all the features that I need without having to get PCI cards (take a look at what used to be standard on an Apple machine 5 years ago vs an Intel machine and you'll see what I'm talking about). Plus I will need to get all new software so it's a good time to swtich. I'm still keeping my Mac.

I consider myself a fairly objective person. I sometimes buy stuff that I wish I didn't but my Mac isn't one of them. It just seems that many users out there are quick to slam the Mac without having ever really used them. Messing with one at CompUSA for 10 minutes doesn't count. Talk to people who have both a Mac and a Windows machine and they will tell you each has its pluses and minuses. But usually (not always) they will say they prefer to use the Mac.

Thanks for reading. Now go ahead...flame away!
P4 3.2,Intel D875PBZ,2x512GB Corsair DDR400XMS3200,2x36GB Raptors,2xWD250GB,Audigy 2 ZS,Promise SATA150TX4,ATI AIW9600 Pro,Plextor 708A DVD,LiteOn DVD,Mitsumi 7n1,IOFlex Firewire,Thermaltake Xaser III V1420DU,TurboCool510ATX PS,Sharp 19" LCD,XP Pro
shimonmor
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby son0rous » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:17 pm

i agree with many of the things you say, but simply put i will never use a mac. one thing i like about my pc is that it is completely customizable and upgradeable. if i was looking for a stable machine to do nothing else but work on i would use a mac, but the main reason i own the pc i do is because i love to tinker with it, add new hardware, OC and constantly learn about all the new hardware and other options that are available to me. building pc's is a hobby of mine, so it would be pointless for me to buy a ready-made system.
people often dont like windows operating systems because they are unstable, when really the instability comes from the shotty pos hardware they bought or from the crap systems they buy at radio shack. they dont clue in that the system is only as good as the hardware they feed it
son0rous
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby ZidaneMonkeyBoy » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:06 pm

I stand by the opinions of Shinmomor Because that's right, for publishing and such, the mac does well, and is not a gaming machine or animation machine used for max/maya. but due to my needs the gain that was with a mac does not justify for ME. But for others a mac might be better.
But since I am a gamer, and animator, who has to deal with custom software made exclusively for real estate on the PC, then I using a mac will benefit.

I have to agree with Smurf_Pimp, cause I do myself like to have the flexibility involved, and all the other things.
My sister switched from a diehard mac user to a PC user once she worked at a law office as an attorney.
P4 2.4
Super silent
Artic cooling cpu/fans
Seasonic s12 psu
: 38C/43C
ABIT IS7-E2
1 GIG pqi ram3200
ATI RAD 128M 9700
22" NEC fe2111sb
NEC DL 3540A
Audigy 2 ZS
boston CR67 +Pioneer for Audio