If you had $100 to spend on a Video card...?

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

If you had around $100 to spend on a new video card, which of the following would you choose?

GeForce 4 MX 440
15%
ATI Radeon 8500
58%
GeForce 3 Ti200
27%

Total votes : 66

Postby charibdis » Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:48 pm

3DFX technology is old and not very useful, I doubt it would add to performance or quality.

As for economy. Why wouldn't you want to buy a card that will perform very well if not better for about half the price??? NVidia have always had a very high price, even for cards with little or no features. which if you ask me will be their undoing. And NVidia can't afford to push ATI back under the supposed rock. Otherwise it would just shoot itself in the foot, since it would have no real competition left. (Sorry but Matrox has been out of it for years)

I say those searches on google aren't conclusive unless they're directly from ATI. Also another reason for me to support ATI is that they're head office is in Toronto.

ATI has been around for ages. I still have the original card I had in my 8088. An ATI EGA Wonder 64K ISA!! And it's still in working order! How long has Nvidia been around???
ABIT NF7-S | Athlon 2500XP @ 12x200 | Corsair HydroCool200 | 3DMark2K1 V330 = 15722 ~ 3DMark03 V340 = 4988
-----------
2nd pc: Dual PII 350 running Fedora Core 2
-----------
3rd pc: Dual Intel PPro 200MHz (Linux) ->decomissioned due to heat problems
charibdis
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:15 pm

charibdis wrote: ATI has been around for ages. I still have the original card I had in my 8088. An ATI EGA Wonder 64K ISA!! And it's still in working order! How long has Nvidia been around???

The exact year the company formed I do not know but the riva128 was one of their first cards and that was in like 95 so they are at least 7 years old.

charibdis wrote:As for economy. Why wouldn't you want to buy a card that will perform very well if not better for about half the price???

its really not a matter of price so much as most people will not upgrade to a new card unless there is some very large performance increase. hence the PC slump, most PC hardware including video cards is so much more powerful than any software really needs. therefore no one is going spend even 100 bucks on a card just because it is new when their current card is running all of their software fast enough. the only really known fact about the Nvidia card is that it is supposed to be a completely new design not based on any previous nvidia card. So it should be head and shoulders above the current geforce line.

charibdis wrote:I say those searches on google aren't conclusive unless they're directly from ATI.

When there are so many sites posting such similar information it is hard to dispute it. Then again if you tell a lie long enough it will become the truth so who knows.

charibdis wrote:Also another reason for me to support ATI is that they're head office is in Toronto.

so the truth comes out :lol: well i guess since Nvidia is based in California, its kinda of a boost for me to support them. 8)
Two muffins are baking in an oven. one muffin says to the other,"hey man its getting pretty hot in here" "Holy $%^!@#" the other muffin replys " A talking muffin!" MaximMAg
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby charibdis » Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:48 pm

Afraid that a Canadian product might fare better than an American product?

And that Ega Wonder card dates back to 1987. Let's see that's... 15 years. And i know there's even some dating from before that. So they do have some long standing experience in the market. Though NVidia haven't been there as long they still have come a long way. I say that they'll both be there for a while. And that they'll both compete very well against one another.
ABIT NF7-S | Athlon 2500XP @ 12x200 | Corsair HydroCool200 | 3DMark2K1 V330 = 15722 ~ 3DMark03 V340 = 4988
-----------
2nd pc: Dual PII 350 running Fedora Core 2
-----------
3rd pc: Dual Intel PPro 200MHz (Linux) ->decomissioned due to heat problems
charibdis
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Aibohphobia » Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:11 pm

charibdis wrote:And the Ti4600 will probably die in the shadow of the R300

The next nVidia card is scheduled to come out before or around the R300, so the ATi won't be dealing with the Ti4600 directly.

In the past the nVidia cards die by their own successor, because the suggested prices don't change for months after the newer card comes out [GF3ti500, GF2 ultra], so who the hell would buy a 300 dollar GF4 when the next card is 350.00? I don't necessarily see the R300 as an nVidia killer, as much as a low-cost alternative that will probably have all the merits of the R200 over the GF3 and 4's: better video and DVD quality--however this isn't what all people go for, they go for the simple FPS, where nVidia will definitely reign supreme once more.

However, from statistics, more than 50% of video card purchases are in the sub-$100.00 range [US], where ATi may stand a chance with their LE type cards--which sure beat the hell out of the MX's, and still they hold strong in the other prices sectors--as a 100 dollar radeon is still comparable with the new 150 dollar Ti4200, and it is a year old chip!

One fact: ATi delayed the R300--hence the aged, yet working Radeon8500--because it was not fast enough to compete with the GF4, showing they are getting much more competitive in that aspect, but now they must deal with the next challenge from nVidia.

effika wrote:3dFx Voodoo5 6000-- off of ebay for very good prices. I'm just a 3dFx fan... and until ATI gets their driver-writers to actually take advantage of the card and nVidia stops sacc'ing image quality and having really high prices

Good prices? It is 405.00 dollars! However there have been people who have spent much more, for it is a very rare card [less than 100 in existence, and much less than that work]. I like 3dFX, I just think that got a bit desperate with their cards--4 main chips and one foot long. Good choice though, I must say 8)

charibdis wrote:It will be interesting to see what Nvidia will come up with. I don't think aging 3DFX engineers will help that much.

Well, be it that the 3DFX engineers have been cast to the side by nVidia since their purchase, in their time 3DFX created FSAA and perfected it with their Voodoo 5 line of cards, so it is possible that such new innovations could start coming from nVidia--which would be a great change from their GeForce line! 3DFX may also give them the quality in display to compete with the rest. Hopefully, they just won't make a mistake like having to price it at 600.00 to cover the cost of the materials--*cough cough* voodoo 5 6000.

Let us hope that by September, we have a range of affordable video cards from several manufacturers, so that no market monopolization occurs and we can all get our own little cards for cheap.

And isn't the Radeon 8500, original 64mb, also under $100.00? It seems so on www.pricewatch.com
[all prices in US currency]
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

le,dv, dual head, tv ????

Postby penfeld » Sat Jul 27, 2002 8:58 pm

The ati cards do seem to have a bunch of available options.

Makes it hard to compare prices and performance, apples to apples so to speak. Price Watch has radeon 8500's starting at $89 and ending over $310 all for the same card? I think not. Nvidia 4600's differ over $100 from start to finish($282-383) which includes 64 vs 128 memory and the differing support of various manufacturers (how much extra is a lifetime guarantee worth on something that will be outdated in a few years?)

I'd have to say there's some deliberate obfuscation on someone's part in the marketing of ati cards which sort of nullifies the survey as stated.

Last I heard Nvidia had a shorter engineering cycle than any other card manufacturer (9 mo. if memory serves, can someone help out?)
which seems to be why there are only three "different" graphics cards out there for the average user ati, matrox, and nvidia.

A whole lot of manufacturers have disapeared since I got my first vga card, seems like a lot of them went by the wayside because of nvidia. Perhaps it's just coincidence.

All and all I'd have to say nvidia's the only card to purchase until other companies can match there rate of development, there's just too much chance of nvidia becoming a "monopoly". That's just my opinion, but then I've had a orphan video card with no drivers.
penfeld
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby MoboCop » Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:27 am

well until recently I was an ATI supporter.

I had a Radeon 7500 for a long time and then switched to an 8500 recently.

Well I installed neverwinter nights and the damn thing crashed all the time.

(another interesting side note about upgrading hardware - neverwinter nights seems to max out my cpu - runs between 96-100% on system monitor - I have an XP 1800+)

So I upgraded to an GeForce 4 and my crashing problem is now reduced to 1-3 hours instead of every 5 minutes.

I also noted on the bioware forums that ATI has acknowledged a driver problem with ATI and neverwinter nights.

So I guess the point is this. As much as you like a card and its features it dont mean crap if you cannot run what you want and run it right now.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby undying fenix » Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:17 am

I would raise $300 extra and go buy a Visiontek Xtasy Geforce4 128mb. 8O 8O 8O
That card makes me want to touch myself.
Hold that thought.
undying fenix
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby len444 » Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:58 pm

might want to update the list w/ the newest ati 9000 pro card:

http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/h ... 189_1.html
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby undying fenix » Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:54 am

ATI Radeon is definitely a good graphics card, but i have heard of quite a few probs from people, so geforce4 64mb is my choice.
Hold that thought.
undying fenix
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby gamepyrate » Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:37 am

I still think ATi's drivers are pretty crappy, especially in XP. If I was on XP, I wouldn't use an ATi. I voted for the Radeon 8500 as on my system, which is an XP1800 with a Radeon 8500LE at 290/300, it performs way better than the Ti200, Ti500, all MX crap, and in some instances can beat or compare with the Ti4200 from nVidia, plus the added graphics quality.
But yeah, XP AND ATi Don't MATCH! Plus a lot of games and ATi don't match that well. MoboCop has proof of this.
Last edited by gamepyrate on Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gamepyrate
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

PreviousNext

Return to The Hundred Year War