how about this one

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

nVidia VS ATi which is better

nvidia
58%
Ati
42%

Total votes : 38

how about this one

Postby datektrader21 » Sat May 11, 2002 5:57 pm

the age old conflict ~ drum roll please ~ nVidia vs ATi. image quality vs speed 8O
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Tolemac » Sat May 11, 2002 7:41 pm

Let me just say that despite the fact that I voted for nVidia, I did so only because I have no basis for comparison. I have a lowly Radeon 7000 that my GeForce 2 GTS beat the bejeezus out of in all areas, but I'm sure I'd have a much higher opinion of ATI if I were to have seen the 8500 first hand. :wink:
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Aibohphobia » Sun May 12, 2002 3:10 pm

I voted ATi, as for in the current gaming and even in the next generation gaming, the margin of speed is pretty much unnoticeable. GeForce4's are fast cards for gaming, yada yada, but don't deliver the graphical quality and crispness of the ATi Radeon cards. A GeForce card may run at 10 fps higher than me, but besides the #'s, the difference is noticeable only in gaming quality--where ATi reigns. Speed doesn't mean much, because the human eye can only detect roughly 30fps, and everything above is only noticeable by pure #'s. And ATi is unrivaled in DVD quality and everything other than gaming speed. I like that the GeForce4 cards run FSAA so nicely, but they lose so much when it comes to Anisotropic filtering. I am looking forward to nVidia's next card, hopefully a drastic change from the GeForce/RivaTNT tech, and also to ATi's next card, which hopefully will better run FSAA.
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Aibohphobia » Tue May 14, 2002 12:43 am

Come on, somebody else vote and say why! We need a tie-breaker from the 6-6 votes.
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Thu May 23, 2002 6:07 pm

hey i voted for nvidia. the way i see it buying a geforce is like buying a Saleen S7 it may not be the smoothest ride out there but hey it is the fastest. as for ATi well that's like buying an 84 Lincoln town car, sure its a smooth ride and yea its got a big back seat :wink: :wink: but the guy with the saleen is gonna kick your ass and take your girl anyway :P
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Aibohphobia » Fri May 24, 2002 12:50 am

my god, car analogies don't always work with computer parts okay. ~99 percent of your contact with the computer is looking at the screen. speed means nothing, it's capped at 30fps. maybe in games like comanche 4 would you want a geforce 4, as that game barely runs right unless you have a 3-4ghz computer, so an extra 3 or 4 fps would help.
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Fri May 24, 2002 1:20 am

see my reply to your other post mr taylor :arrow: http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=527
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Aibohphobia » Fri May 24, 2002 12:27 pm

yeah and i disproved you there too
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Fri May 24, 2002 12:47 pm

You disproved nothing :!: all you basically said was to ignore ATis mistakes and focus on nvidias in the end the geforce card is faster and more well equipped to handle the demanding games of tomorrow where as ATI has more driver issues than sadom has enemies.
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Aibohphobia » Fri May 24, 2002 12:52 pm

demanding games of tomorrow eh? I don't think either of them can barely handle the next generation's games, and the diff is only a few fps. Did ya look at the benchmarks for UT2003? That's just pathetic when your used to getting 200fps+ in QuakeIII. And Commanche 4 is the same way, you'd have to have a GPU with a couple ghz under its belt to make that game run well.
it wasn't a mistake that ATi made. It was a marketing manuevre. 'Hey nVidia released the GF4's and they have 128mb of ram, and our current R300 isn't going to come out for a few months, well I guess we could just add 64mb of ram to ours to keep up competition' which actually did work, there is a difference in the 8500 with 64mb and 128mb, but the difference is only 5-20 percent in some games, so for the price I wouldn't personally buy the 128mb. I'm just bringing example that nVidia does this much more frequently, and often their card with the extra ram bring barely, or no, difference in performance. But nVidia didn't make a mistake, as they probably got quite a few dumb people with several hundred bucks in their pockets to buy these well under-powered cards--ATi did the same thing with the 8500.
and stop replying to my posts, i get last damn word!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War